Hammer coral slowly dying

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this hammer coral for about a month now and it’s looked really nice for 2 weeks then it went down hill and is starting to recede the only thing I can think of is that I changed lights twice Becuase I’ve had problems with black boxes but now I have an sb reef light that is supposed to be really good has any one ever had a similar problem with the euphillia hammer receding like this ?
alk9.0 ph8.0 nitrate 2-3 ppm calcium 450 ppm mag 1400 specific gravity 1.025

7AD98012-6C2F-4A30-854E-A037B77D1809.jpeg 1C2F47C9-8E58-4969-88CC-2EADAB89E3CB.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

AnneO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also currently experiencing this on one of my two hammers, I notice it only in the evening because it retracts far back compared to the other and the skeleton shows. I did notice the lights were moved slightly further back, so it was potentially getting too much shade from the ledge behind it. I corrected the lights today and also dropped in some LPS pellets and basted it with phytoplankton, which it seemed to like. This evening it is retracted a lot less than yesterday at the same time but it's too early to tell if that reverses the changes.

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a shot in the dark as there are a lot of variables but is the hammer getting good flow. Not direct flow where its getting beat up but a decent amount. How old is the tank if it is new it could just be a lack of nutrients and bacteria.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not dying But unhappy. . . .
High salinity, high alk, low PH and too much flow will cause this. Good lighting also required. . . doesnt have to be bright and remember to feed 1-2X per week

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a shot in the dark as there are a lot of variables but is the hammer getting good flow. Not direct flow where its getting beat up but a decent amount. How old is the tank if it is new it could just be a lack of nutrients and bacteria.
The tank is about 4 months old it is fairly new but well cycled what should I do it may be the nutrients I do feed them with reef roids twice a week I also have a torch but the torch is doing just fine

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High salinity, high alk, low PH and too much flow will cause this. Good lighting also required. . . doesnt have to be bright and remember to feed 1-2X per week
I’m just wondering what you would consider high on those parameters specifically for euphillia I’ll go back in my journal of test and see what I need to watch more often so far it seems like everything has been stable IMO
For three weeks strait I tested my tank every 24 hours and logged it just trying to learn everything better I’ve got a pretty decent understanding but never done learning

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m just wondering what you would consider high on those parameters specifically for euphillia I’ll go back in my journal of test and see what I need to watch more often so far it seems like everything has been stable IMO
For three weeks strait I tested my tank every 24 hours and logged it just trying to learn everything better I’ve got a pretty decent understanding but never done learning
high would be :
Salinity 1.027 or +
PH - 8.4 or+
Temp - 81 or +
Mag 1450 or +
Alk 11 or +
CA - 465 or +

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm kind of thinking the new lights may be too intense. Perhaps reduce the intensity until acclimated?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm kind of thinking the new lights may be too intense. Perhaps reduce the intensity until acclimated?
Yes. 15-20% white and 75% blue

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. 15-20% white and 75% blue
I will turn down the light for acclimation I was trying to get it used to what it’s going to be at forever I have it set on a ramping full day cycle sb reef lights are really powerful that was at around 4 o’clock on the newest picture yesterday and it was a balance of white Uv and blue around 60 percent but pretty sure I need to turn it down Becuase the hammer looks even more sad than it was

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day mate! Have you tested p04? Do you use gfo? Having no p04 is worse then having a high number

eskymick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I’d do the following if I had the same situation and parameters:
1. Reduce the light intensity to 40 to 45% and, after a few days, raise it a couple percent every day until you’re back up to 60%
2. Spot feed the coral 1 or two times per week
3. Let alk slowly wall to the range of 8 to 9dKH, and then maintain it at that level
4. Let CA fall to the range of 415 to 430 and maintain

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Reduce the light intensity to 40 to 45% and, after a few days, raise it a couple percent every day until you’re back up to 60%
3. Let alk slowly wall to the range of 8 to 9dKH, and then maintain it at that level
By doing that should I wait an extra week on the water change ? Po4 is the only thing I’m not testing for I want to get a Hanna checker for that one just like my dkh I’ve already done all the other things I could I do feed them and just trying to do everything in my power to not have to buy another hammer

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s gonna make it it just looks so much worse everyday it must have been the light switch everything else has been stable

image.jpg image.jpg

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish that might be nipping at it? I recently watched my diamond goby taste test my Duncan and had filefish in the past that loved euphylia.

OP
OP
Texasnanoreef345

Texasnanoreef345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish that might be nipping at it? I recently watched my diamond goby taste test my Duncan and had filefish in the past that loved euphylia.
Only clown fish but yesterday on a somewhat different subject I saw my coral banded shrimp punch the hell out of my new chalice . What’s up with that I that cbs where reef safe !?!?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back