Hammer Coral stony section eaten?

Andrewrckt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I placed a frogspawn coral in my tank last week. I flipped it around today and noticed some oddity. I am not sure if it’s being eaten or this is where the frag was cut.

Parameters are stable and normal, so I am expecting this may either be external critters or I missed this when I placed it in last week (I am hoping the latter).

I have 2 clowns, a damsel and a six lined wrasse in the tank with hermits and snails. I see a hermit around the base of it now, so curious if anyone has experience with hermits eating the stony parts of these.

I am going to continue to monitor for further development. The polyps were fully extended out today and have been for the last two weeks which is why I don’t think I noticed it. The base was covered all day. Thoughts?

9645F5D6-87EE-4B48-B301-D41DEAF18D1F.jpeg

sorry the title says hammer Cora. It’s right next to the frogspawn, so it was in my mind when typing the header.

Last edited:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats where it was clipped, just the inside matrix of the corals theca/ skeletal structure.
No need to be alarmed.

OP
OP
A

Andrewrckt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a dip in Coral RX and brightwells Medicoral and found a small flatworm (I think).

and thanks for the reply! I felt like it was better to be safe a dip than be sorry. And I found something in it.
Thats where it was clipped, just the inside matrix of the corals theca/ skeletal structure.
No need to be alarmed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back