Hammer coral thinning out

ello42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i was thinking what would be the reason for this happening to the hammer the only thing i did was a 20% water change on saterday thats all. Dont worry about the white rocks in the picture i changed rocks a month ago because the old rock leached heavy nutrients

Params
Ca 510
Mg 1450
Kh 9.5
Po4 0.5
No3 3
Stron 9
Pot 400
Ph 8.2
Temp 26c

First pic is how it should be and the second pic is the thin coral any advise would be appreciated.
IMG_20190411_211058.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-04-29-10-12-32.jpeg

Osaurus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks happy to me (I don't see any dead heads). The tentacles look a bit more extended in photo 2, which in my experience is an indicator of a happy/healthy euphyllia. Lighting, time of day, flow, pests, other creatures disturbing it will all play a role in how extended the tentacles are. If you start seeing excessive amounts of retraction (day and night), then I'd be worried. Good luck!

OP
OP
ello42

ello42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks happy to me (I don't see any dead heads). The tentacles look a bit more extended in photo 2, which in my experience is an indicator of a happy/healthy euphyllia. Lighting, time of day, flow, pests, other creatures disturbing it will all play a role in how extended the tentacles are. If you start seeing excessive amounts of retraction (day and night), then I'd be worried. Good luck!
No pests only pods in the tank light cycle is 10 hours which 7 ours is blue+voiltet combo and 3 hours blue+white combo my frogspawn,gsp,montipora,zoas and turbinaria all was closed most of sunday not sure why

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low flow Vs. a bit heavier flow.

All my hammers look like your top pic(nice a full and fluffy), but the couple that are a bit higher up in the flow, have the long stringy look to them. They certainly aren't "thinning", just that the tentacles are longer giving it that thinning look.

OP
OP
ello42

ello42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low flow Vs. a bit heavier flow.

All my hammers look like your top pic(nice a full and fluffy), but the couple that are a bit higher up in the flow, have the long stringy look to them. They certainly aren't "thinning", just that the tentacles are longer giving it that thinning look.
Thanks noted

Osaurus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pests only pods in the tank light cycle is 10 hours which 7 ours is blue+voiltet combo and 3 hours blue+white combo my frogspawn,gsp,montipora,zoas and turbinaria all was closed most of sunday not sure why

I know you mentioned that you performed a water change on Saturday. Did you make sure that your new water had the same temp and salinity as the tank? Everything else seems good. It's hard to troubleshoot these finicky creatures some times - there are many variables to consider.

OP
OP
ello42

ello42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you mentioned that you performed a water change on Saturday. Did you make sure that your new water had the same temp and salinity as the tank? Everything else seems good. It's hard to troubleshoot these finicky creatures some times - there are many variables to consider.
Ooooh dang salinity is the same but i didnt heat the water [emoji79] to the same temp it could be that because it was room temp and i make 7gallons at a time and use half and keep the other half for the next maintanance i gues i should have done that seeing it is autum here now

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to heat your WC water. In fact heated water will read differently on your refractometer Vs. cold.

Only time you should heat your water is if it's a significant drop in temp when you do a WC(significant as in 10 degrees or more). I change 10G in an 80G system and my temps only drop 2 degrees for about 2 minutes. Corals are a lot hardier then we give them credit for.

OP
OP
ello42

ello42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to heat your WC water. In fact heated water will read differently on your refractometer Vs. cold.

Only time you should heat your water is if it's a significant drop in temp when you do a WC(significant as in 10 degrees or more). I change 10G in an 80G system and my temps only drop 2 degrees for about 2 minutes. Corals are a lot hardier then we give them credit for.
Thanks noted

OP
OP
ello42

ello42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just got home from work and the hammer seems to be normal opened up and swaying in the current
1556553250803.jpeg

Osaurus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd have to disagree with you. Consistency and stability is paramount in this hobby and in my experience (albeit anecdotal) water changes are no exception. It's relatively cheap to throw an appropriately sized jager or aqueon pro in your mixing container. I agree that corals can be/are hardier than most believe (some far more than others) - but most, if not all water change write-ups that I've read advise matching temps.

Glad to see your hammer is doing great, Ello42!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 196 70.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back