Hammer eggs?

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the hammer in the biocube has what looks to be eggs developing in the tentacles. I would like some 2nd opinions please:)
20160504_010608.jpg

20160504_010536.jpg

And since I have ever no idea what this thing I just found in the 45 is, I am just gonna stick it here lol. I am hoping it is another rock nem baby, but I think I will have to wait til tomorrow when the lights are on to really be sure. I did notice it seemed like it was releasing something or pooping.

20160504_005754.jpg

The little round purplish brown thing is what I am referring to:)

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely any coral or anemone eggs. They do that differently. The last picture the purple things look like coraline algea or a hard shelled tube worm. unless i am not looking at what you are referring to.

My guess is likely a nudibranch or other parasite. The coral would not have stayed open for a snail to deposit eggs.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure there is a flatworm that feeds on hammers, torches that will lay eggs like that.
Edit: I was looking at the pic that Joe posted. Not sure that your pics show the same thing or not

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS release eggs and float off into the water column. If I am right they would need to be fertilized to grow out.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there are flatworms that eat Euphyllia, but those are not flat worm eggs, my hammers and frogspawns get things like that from time to time, nothing to worry about. Tab is correct that is a hard shelled tube worm.

OP
OP
ReefQueen

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I am not getting emails about this thread for some reason. The spots have since gone away. I was also told there was a sort of bug that effects only euphyllia, but I have not found any pics that look similar to the spots mine had that were bugs. That hammer has also started to form 2 new heads, so it must not be too unhappy lol. As long as it is looking good and no new spots appear i am going to just leave it be, its the only euphyllia in that tank right now anyway. I did realize the next day after the lights came on that it was a tube worm lol. I usually see them in a hole in the rock so never see the curly pattern at the bottom. Thanks for the info everyone:)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back