Hanging Cable

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who have done a diy hanging light fixture what have you used to actually hand the lights with? I'm looking at using some vinyl coated steel braided cable with cable clamps, but wanted to see if there is some common material that I'm overlooking.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used a shelf bracket mounted upside down with a "S" hook and some chain - all black. Check out @ReefStache as I'm thinking he did a super cool "floating hood" design on his most recent build.

Additionally, in my DIY hood I used the wire hanger kits that come with black box lights and suspended the light from the top braces.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, I guess listing the lights you're trying to suspend would be helpful, for example 5 @noopsyche K7 V3 lights .. ;)

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I guess listing the lights you're trying to suspend would be helpful, for example 5 @noopsyche K7 V3 lights .. ;)
I'm attaching the 5 lights to a piece of t slot extruded aluminum that I'm going to hang from hooks that I already have in the ceiling.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my stainless cable and aluminum hanging brakets from MBS Standoffs

20211012_142629.jpg

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not, but wasn't that much more and figured for piece of mind to go with it.
Now that I think about it I have an air-conditioning vent on the ceiling above my tank that I believe is starting to have some rust, so maybe it would matter.
You're right though if the cost difference is insignificant then why not go with stainless.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now that I think about it I have an air-conditioning vent on the ceiling above my tank that I believe is starting to have some rust, so maybe it would matter.
You're right though if the cost difference is insignificant then why not go with stainless.
It would also look better in my opinion. We went with high gloss black for all of our hanging hardware. If you have aluminum already, the stainless wire would potentially match better.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would also look better in my opinion. We went with high gloss black for all of our hanging hardware. If you have aluminum already, the stainless wire would potentially match better.
No I'd actually prefer black. I paid a little bit more to get the aluminum bar in black to try to avoid the metal color. Ultimately I'm not that picky as long as my wife doesn't complain, which she probably wouldn't.
She used to complain about little things like the tubing coming out of our ceiling down to the tank, but over time she has given up.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No I'd actually prefer black. I paid a little bit more to get the aluminum bar in black to try to avoid the metal color. Ultimately I'm not that picky as long as my wife doesn't complain, which she probably wouldn't.
She used to complain about little things like the tubing coming out of our ceiling down to the tank, but over time she has given up.
Check out chains from Home Depot or Lowe's?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can spray paint the cable black gloss before installing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back