Hanna checker madness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this again even tho you say you do it.

1. Make sure you are not rinsing your cuvettes with tap water ever, regardless of the test. This can lead to inaccurate readings from tap water contaminants.
  2. Make sure you rinse your phosphate cuvettes with RODI after each test before you store them. When you want to perform a new phosphate test we recommend rinsing the cuvettes with 10 ml of saltwater sample a few times before you zero out the Checker. This would help reduce the interference of contaminants that can impact your phosphate readings.
  3. Make sure you are not testing phosphates after cleaning algae in your aquarium or feeding your livestock. This will cause a false high reading.
  4. Make sure you are not using a syringe to fill your cuvettes that have been used to feed fish/coral as this will cause false high readings.
Ok, we'll go with that also. Y'all do quick to judge.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, we'll go with that also. Y'all do quick to judge.
Well I’m not a boat mechanic and I don’t own my own shop but I have worked for Ford for 25 years now and still working for them and when one of the guys next to me has a car come back three times with the same problem it always turns out to be something they did I’m just saying

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Good luck with this I’ll move on and continue to use my 2 year old working Hannah checkers

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...... Emailed tech support at Hanna. Got the same response as they responded to on here. Like I said. Waste of time!
Like I said earlier. When and if I get the Ion Director Hanna will never get another dime from me!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think this thread should be closed.

Your unwilling to listen to anyone, your "procedure" is 100% spot on, it's never user error, your unwilling to get a hold of hanna(well apparently you did but got the canned email response), everyone else is wrong, and we all must be crazy and stupid because we all use the hanna checker without issues, yet you have 2 go bad in 2 years?

That just about sums up the entire thread.

So basically this thread was a place for you to come and yell at hanna, and you actually didn't want help at all. Cause you know, we all must be idiots because there is no way the hanna checker actually works as described, or like in my case working very well for the last 5 years I've owned it.

And I remember that other thread quite well. Think the OP needs to move on from this thread and possible the forums all together. We actually come here to help each other, not just belittle and yell at each other because were never wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think this thread should be closed.

Your unwilling to listen to anyone, your "procedure" is 100% spot on, it's never user error, your unwilling to get a hold of hanna(well apparently you did but got the canned email response), everyone else is wrong, and we all must be crazy and stupid because we all use the hanna checker without issues, yet you have 2 go bad in 2 years?

That just about sums up the entire thread.

So basically this thread was a place for you to come and ***** at hanna, and you actually didn't want help at all. Cause you know, we all must be idiots because there is no way in **** the hanna checker actually works as described, or like in my case working very well for the last 5 years I've owned it.

And I remember that other thread quite well. Think the OP needs to move on from this thread and possible the forums all together. We actually come here to help each other, not just belittle and ***** at each other because were never wrong.
And here is the way I see it:
Yes, this is my second thread about Hanna checkers.
Honestly, the first one about the reagents left a bad taste cause I literally got jumped on by everyone saying my "procedure" was bad by people on here that think Hanna is the God of reefkeeping.
Even though if people actually read the whole thread there were others that were experiencing some of the same issues!
So..... It seems some people have selective reading opinions here. They read and only accept the posts that they agree with.
It goes both ways. People that form an opinion and respond with bad procedure posts and are unwilling to accept anything else but that are no different than me unwilling to accept their response.
There isn't one doubt in my mind that Hanna made a bad batch or two of Alk reagents.
There's not a reason anyone can make as to why there are "stringy" things floating around in a reagent bottle. That's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

I was hesitant to post this current thread as I knew I'd get jumped on by bad procedure again.
And I was right, I did.
Now read what I'm writing instead of what you want to read here.
For all the bad procedure posts how come not a one addressed the High/low light issues I'm constantly having? BTW neither did Hanna with their email reply. Surprise!
Please tell me how that is a procedure issue? I'm kinda clueless on that. Enlighten me.
Again there is no doubt in my mind that this checker is bad.

Now if you all read what I wrote and not what you wanted to read, I never once asked for any help here. I posted to see if anyone else was having the same issues.
Instead I got inundated with people throwing their biased opinions at me and when I refused their help they got upset.I don't see how that's my problem.

It's a man-made piece of equipment. It's a hobby grade piece of equipment.
Things can and will go wrong. It's inevitable. Just cause you or someone else didn't experience the issue doesn't mean the issue didn't happen.

So....... close my thread, kick me off r2r. All because I refuse to accept help that I didn't ask for and I don't fit in a certain mold or clique here. That's special!
I'm pretty sure you can figure out what I have to say about that.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, I posted this in Hanna's forum. As per r2r rules. So..... Technically this is between me and Hanna. I think the Mods will agree with that.
Don't offer help when it's not asked for.
Everyone knows how to skip a thread if they don't like it.
Apparently they can't without proving how much they know and how right they are.
Facebook anyone????????

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of the high/low error until this thread. Quick google search appears it has something to do with outside light getting in and messing up the test? No strong outside light hitting the checker when your doing the test and the lid is closing correctly? Maybe a battery issue on the low error? Replaced the battery? I forget if you did try that and don't want to read through 3 pages again. Also look at the contacts on the checker? Inside of the checker clean where the light enters into the vial?

I am guessing Hanna has a standard response to emails and then they can trouble shoot further from that point once the basics are ruled out. They probably have found that most issues can be addressed with the response you received. I would at least give them the benefit of the doubt and work with them and try and have someone there address your specific issue.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, I posted this in Hanna's forum. As per r2r rules. So..... Technically this is between me and Hanna. I think the Mods will agree with that.
Don't offer help when it's not asked for.
Everyone knows how to skip a thread if they don't like it.
Apparently they can't without proving how much they know and how right they are.
Facebook anyone????????
Not exactly,if you don't want any outside posts, you need to put this in feedback, then its between you and the vendor.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh, darn! That'll give all the critiques on here some fuel????
Calm down for a minute. You are starting to get incredibly rude. Members here are trying to help you out and make sure you are indeed testing correctly because it’s a common issue with the testers. I suggest listening to Hanna, if you have a faulty unit, they would’ve sent you a new one but you didn’t want to listen. Please be polite, members are actually being nice and trying to help out. You obviously don’t want to be helped.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I love my Hanna alk and po4! Makes testing easy and my checkers have been reliable for me.

But the nitrate checker... this one I just got- still can’t get in accurate reading. I may be doing it wrong or something....

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to the "other" thread about the reagents.....

Hanna has responded many times to these threads and have said on many occasions that the "stringy floaty" things is from the reagent being exposed to air for too long. Shake, uncap, draw up your 1ml, then recap immediately to avoid the "floaties".

I too chimed in on that thread about having the "floaties" too. Since I started following their procedure, I have not had any "floaties" in a long time.

You apparently have selective reading also?

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calm down for a minute. You are starting to get incredibly rude. Members here are trying to help you out and make sure you are indeed testing correctly because it’s a common issue with the testers. I suggest listening to Hanna, if you have a faulty unit, they would’ve sent you a new one but you didn’t want to listen. Please be polite, members are actually being nice and trying to help out. You obviously don’t want to be helped.
I'm being rude? I never once asked for help here. And I've stated that fact. Clearly. Not a sentence in my original post asked for help.
I'm being told to listen about procedure over and over again. I'm getting sick of this.
Now I'm going to say this one last time. Please read it carefully.
Bad procedure or good procedure.
If you're doing it the same way like I have for three years and not finding discrepancies then your procedure is ok, when you start getting discrepancies then there is something wrong someplace else. Most likely the equipment your using to test with. Either the reagents or the testers. Why is this soooooo hard for people to get and accept?????????
I know how to use these testers. I follow a pretty good procedure.
We are and have been going through the Covid thing the world over. Who's to say it's not affecting Hanna's manufacturing? These manufacturers are not going to admit that less their sales go down.
Where in that post do you read that Hanna is going to send me a new tester?
You're obviously seeing something I dont. I did email Hanna. I got the standard email that they also posted on here. I described my troubles in detail. They never once addressed the issue of low/high light errors. That alone leaves me with little faith in their support. Sales over service.
Again read my post. I have already decided to move on from these year and a half old testers and ordered new ones. That will be here Monday and I can go on testing in my subpar procedure according most people here and be happy again!
Let the thread die for Gods sake.
One other thing before I exit this madness.
Check my posts. I don't post a lot. I never ask for advice on here. You get one thousand different opinions on what your asking, which leads to nothing but confusion and ones head spinning in every direction. I will ask occasionally from someone I feel is knowledgeable, but only on a thread that's ongoing. I'm not into every Tom ,Dick and Harry offering their opinion just because they have a need to be right and heard. I will not apologize for that!
What I do is read, read and read. I decipher what's good information and what's bad information and I figure things out. Do I make mistakes? Of course. Who hasn't in this hobby?
See y'all I'm exiting. Have fun with all this.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just wanted to point out- it’s a beautiful Saturday - a great day to get those elbows wet and do something to your tank. No need to get frustrated about the little things. No need to pick a side- we do that enough in the rest of life- just do what’s good for you and let others do what’s good for them- “can’t we all just get along”

Hey- I would get my elbows wet with you - share a frag - friendly debate about proper husbandry- swap opinions and knowledge - ask for and give advise - let us keep reefing free of real life problems as mush as possible and enjoy this hobby we all love so much. Take a deep breath of the salty air and release....

Happy Saturday and HAPPY REEFING to all!

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just wanted to point out- it’s a beautiful Saturday - a great day to get those elbows wet and do something to your tank. No need to get frustrated about the little things. No need to pick a side- we do that enough in the rest of life- just do what’s good for you and let others do what’s good for them- “can’t we all just get along”

Hey- I would get my elbows wet with you - share a frag - friendly debate about proper husbandry- swap opinions and knowledge - ask for and give advise - let us keep reefing free of real life problems as mush as possible and enjoy this hobby we all love so much. Take a deep breath of the salty air and release....

Happy Saturday and HAPPY REEFING to all!
Thank you! I needed that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back