Hanna checkers

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to wait a bit and see what people think first. I use the Nyos for no3 currently and its really simple and easy to read...
Yea i need a new Nitrate test, but im not sure i want to be a backyard chemist. I have the ALK and the PHOS, and run salifert for MAG. I need to source something new for nitrates. For new tanks i just use remaining API to at least make sure im getting readings, but long term i need a better solution.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea i need a new Nitrate test, but im not sure i want to be a backyard chemist. I have the ALK and the PHOS, and run salifert for MAG. I need to source something new for nitrates. For new tanks i just use remaining API to at least make sure im getting readings, but long term i need a better solution.
Nyos is a very nice kit. Very simple and priced fairly!

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the Alk that’s a must in my opinion. I will be getting the ca checker soon as the api test kit idk if I can trust.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with the CAL, as again, you have to be a back yard chemist to get it to work right.
Thanks - good to know save the $50 towards something else I need. I've been using the API test kit IDK if I can trust it results always so high (24-25 drops to color change = 550 CA and I don't dose CA and use regular instant ocean salt mix or Nutri Seawater for water changes. Have just LPS and softies well and one purple stylo not huge but not frag size) do you know of a good CA test kit?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the Alk that’s a must in my opinion. I will be getting the ca checker soon as the api test kit idk if I can trust.

Why is it a "must"? If you have a pH meter you can do it yourself for less and likely as good or better accuracy. Plus, you know it is working, unlike a device that you cannot readily check unless you have a seawater alkalinity standard of some sort.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - good to know save the $50 towards something else I need. I've been using the API test kit IDK if I can trust it results always so high (24-25 drops to color change = 550 CA and I don't dose CA and use regular instant ocean salt mix or Nutri Seawater for water changes. Have just LPS and softies well and one purple stylo not huge but not frag size) do you know of a good CA test kit?
Red sea was what i was going to get.

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hanna nitrite checker came in today.
it is a lot of steps, I did watch video before I bought it. I still took the plunge !!lol
It’s a lot of steps and took me while following video a good 20 minutes. When I got to last reading timer went off after 8 minute and it gave me an error reading which said that the vile was upside down in machine. Come on seriously. It told me to turn over and redo test. Which is impossible because I used same vile for calibration as test. So basically I have to start all over again and hope after 20 minutes that I actually get a reading. I don’t have time tonight, but will try again tomorrow afternoon. I followed video step by step did exactly what they did. I think I might be able to cut this test down to 15 minutes with practice, but it is a very involved test. I might continue to use Red Sea on a regular basis and use the Hanna as a monthly checker Or if I am raising or lowering and want exact measurements.
I knew what I was getting into before I bought it . Lol

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of them are necessary IMO. I can check alkalinity with a reagent test as fast as I can with a digital checker. The accuracy of the rest of the checkers is really not great.
The phosphate checkers may be useful because every reagent test I've found is very difficult to read, but again, there is the accuracy issue.

Figure out which reagent test you dislike doing the most (for whatever reason -- the most steps, longest time, most expensive kit, whatever) and then decide if life will really be easier with a faster (but maybe less accurate) test. Start there.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ca checker has a dilution step which skews accuracy, its not well received by most
None of them are necessary IMO. I can check alkalinity with a reagent test as fast as I can with a digital checker. The accuracy of the rest of the checkers is really not great.
The phosphate checkers may be useful because every reagent test I've found is very difficult to read, but again, there is the accuracy issue.

Figure out which reagent test you dislike doing the most (for whatever reason -- the most steps, longest time, most expensive kit, whatever) and then decide if life will really be easier with a faster (but maybe less accurate) test. Start there.
yup, I got a regular alk kit for backup but I got bad eyes and check alk 2x a week. and yeah I don’t ever trust any electronic checker; esp. pH cheap yellow pens

smurfjacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the Mr. Saltwater video unboxing and running a test. It doesn't seem quite so bad the second time around. Couple concerns though with regard to the costs for 2 powders, 1 filter, and a liquid to add. My other bigger concern is the 5ppm max unless you dilute. I typically run somewhere between 3 and 10ppm nitrate. I won't know if I should dilute the sample first until I run the test.. and then do I want to run it again and burn through more reagents and another 20 minutes? Or would I just always dilute the sample by half and then double the result no matter what?? Just seems much more complicated than it could have been ...

With regard to the powder packets since I use the ULR Phosphate checker and love it. I first thought they were a major pain trying to work with. Then I watched a video of someone folding the packet into a triangle first then clipping along one side where two edges line up. Unfold the triangle and push the sides in and it makes a nice little pointed chute to dump the powder into the vial.
I emailed hanna about this Monday here's what rob silva had to say about the dilution if you follow this process it won't read below 5 ppm so you may have to waste a test if it's below 5 ppm

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed hanna about this Monday here's what rob silva had to say about the dilution if you follow this process it won't read below 5 ppm so you may have to waste a test if it's below 5 ppm
Ah ok so if you follow their dilution step you go 5-50ppm or 0-5ppm without. Do I have that correct? I try to run 5 or under so maybe just do the standard test and if it's blinking over 5 it's enough to know I am above my target. The reagent refill kit is on the pricier side vs ULR phosphate and Alk which I use the most currently. It looks like you have to buy the filter disks separately too.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so excited for the Hanna Nitrate Checker.
But like so many products in this hobby, the reality doesn't match expectations.
I think all the Hanna Checkers up to this point have been fantastic. Straightforward tests, unambiguous results.
Yes including the Calcium Checker; I've compared its readings to ICP results many times, always very close (<5% difference.) It's not a difficult test if you use RODI water and measure precisely. And it's a fast test.
I'll probably use the Nitrate Checker as a backup to confirm faster tests (either Red Sea or Nyos.)

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who has trouble with the Hanna powders and the narrow neck vials, these funnels are perfect for ensuring that all of the reagent gets into the vial.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a fan of hanna. i have the copper tester and will stick with it as i use it in conjunction with api copper test. i wouldnt buy another though. i have always said great idea but lousy execution.

smurfjacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok so if you follow their dilution step you go 5-50ppm or 0-5ppm without. Do I have that correct? I try to run 5 or under so maybe just do the standard test and if it's blinking over 5 it's enough to know I am above my target. The reagent refill kit is on the pricier side vs ULR phosphate and Alk which I use the most currently. It looks like you have to buy the filter disks separately too.
That would be correct dilution won't read below 5 ppm from what he sent me. it should come with 25 test from what I read

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like bullying people? I’m just curious because this is the second time you have rudely commented on one of my comments.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it a "must"? If you have a pH meter you can do it yourself for less and likely as good or better accuracy. Plus, you know it is working, unlike a device that you cannot readily check unless you have a seawater alkalinity standard of some sort.
Do you like bullying people? I’m just curious because this is the second time you have rudely commented on one of my comments

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back