Hanna checkers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the only place the Hanna checkers are really useful are for ultra low phosphate levels.

I would use other devices or methods before the Hanna for other parameters.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck I made it all the way to 2:34 before shutting off the vid and making up my mind. how far did you get?

I think DNA analysis is a tad easier

yeah but not every Isotope and certainly not unobtanium 234

I am very sad that it is so complex and time consuming. Was really looking forward to it too. Will stick with NYOS which only takes 6 min and a few drops of 1 and a little scoop of some powder.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a tester for mag, cal, pottasium?

For Mag/Cal I use Salifert. I tried a Hanna for Calcium but found it to be crap. I have tested for Potassium using Salifert, but found it never to be an issue as long as I was doing my weekly water changes. So I don’t test for it anymore.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pre-ordered that nitrate checker!

Love my Phos and all checker. Calc is always annoying no matter the test I feel like I'm never doing it the same twice
giphy.gif

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the only place the Hanna checkers are really useful are for ultra low phosphate levels.

I would use other devices or methods before the Hanna for other parameters.

What's your reasoning behind that? Colorimetric test not as effective for other parameters? Level of accuracy not needed? Something else?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH and Nitrate.

Just had a good conversation about "ranges" and "consistency" being more important than "spot on numbers"

i.e. every time you test your water, if you're testing it the same exact way everytime, and your tank is happy and healthy and growing, you've set up a "range" for yourself that's working. If you do your test the exact same way every time you should become super familiar with that range and coloring of your testing. Therefore making it easy to spot when something changes.

i.e. if you use API, and only use API and use it all the time, and are getting consistent readings. That should be good and efficient. forget if it's 0 or >.25 to you. who cares if things are healthy and happy.

If you're then micro dosing or specifically dosing you'll be able to easily spot the changes, or should be able to notice the change easily, but it might be hard to get exact numbers.

like, basically buy an API test kit and test every few days until you do 50 tests or so and you'll now have a complete feel of your tanks parameters.

Then by using more advanced checkers i.e. Hanna you can basically just use them for more precise and accurate minimal readings such as for Phosphate and or Nitrates if you're trying to take them from 0 to a nominal amount for increased coral growth etc.

With an established tank this would be completely usable,.

I think the only difference is for new and beginning reefers, getting used to the testing is a learning curve.

Maybe you could get a 1G water sample from your stores best Display tank and practice testing there, to get idea of good parameters from an established healthy tank and a general feel for testing.

Doing this and being able to buy the cheaper tests might be a good option for people looking to save money instead of getting these $50 per element testers.

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checkers seem to be a mid point between the basic test kits and full automated testing.

Mid point in what way? Hanna checkers for me feel like a degree of magnitude harder to use than regular test kits. Presumably for one's extra trouble, you get better precision. Not sure if you get better accuracy.

adobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate has just been released. I would vote Phos ULR, Alk, Nitrate

Why nitrate? Seems like a whole lot of hassle. What do you get from the hanna nitrate checker that you can't accomplish with a salifert or one of the other test kits?

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate has just been released. I would vote Phos ULR, Alk, Nitrate
I spoke to Chris over at Hanna last Friday the 25th and he said the Nitrate checker will be available around the 3rd week of October. All sites are taking pre orders now but if you know anyone that has one available now I would LOVE to get my hands on it so share where you found it available today.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low range phosphorus only. I couldn't read the difference between 0 an 0.03 on the salifert test. They were way too close.

I prefer the tritation test for alk and calcium. I can do the Alk test in less than a minute

WRB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently only have SW Fish, very stable tank running for 3 decades now.
Quit testing salinity long ago. Mix by weight/volume ( i.e follow the directions on my salt mix) Prefer #'s vs color matching so considering the Hanna checker.

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity and Calcium are the two I use the most. I also have a Copper which is great for treating fish in qt tank. Never had any issues with inaccuracy of the Calcium checker.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the alk and the phosphate ulm. i love the alk checker, use it every night. the phosphate one is ok but the red sea pro phosphate checker is about as easy. The little packets of powder can be a hassle.

dont buy the nitrate one until you read the directions. its not a simple process. i am sticking with nyos for nitrate for now,

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck I made it all the way to 2:34 before shutting off the vid and making up my mind. how far did you get?

I think DNA analysis is a tad easier

yeah but not every Isotope and certainly not unobtanium 234
Holy hell that process seems way to crazy, I'll stick to my red Sea test kit for now, lol
Hanna needs to get rid of the packets and use measured scoops to take the dry powder from a curvette, the packet and the process to remove the powder from them is 20 years out of date with the science and technology we have now.

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must add that I will not denigrate Hanna checkers. I think the only reason the made this test so complex is for accuracy. I have a Phoshphate URL and i Have cross checked it's accuaracy and it is pretty much on the money. I love the brand but unfortunately they may be suffering from there own integrity in the case of the Nitrates checker

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back