Hanna checkers

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was terrified to dose Coppersafe until I had the Hanna checker since so many people said the dosing mix wasn't consistent. I'm just paranoid, but its definitely nice to have. I'd like the PO4 one next.
I use coppersafe as well and with the Hanna checker and a little bit a time easy peasy

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out you may change your mind on the Nitrate checker;)

heck I made it all the way to 2:34 before shutting off the vid and making up my mind. how far did you get?
That is beyond involved for a hobby grade test kit.....
I think DNA analysis is a tad easier
Look on the bright side mate, at least you will be able to proccess you own uranium at home after getting you head around this test kit;)

yeah but not every Isotope and certainly not unobtanium 234

Screw that test! Waaaaayyyyy to involved

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Seems consensus is alk and phos and ph

I happen to use ca-alk- phos and salinity testers by hanna

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck I made it all the way to 2:34 before shutting off the vid and making up my mind. how far did you get?

I think DNA analysis is a tad easier

yeah but not every Isotope and certainly not unobtanium 234
Watched the while thing! Lol I work in science...and this i must say is beyond what I feel most in this hoby are willing to do to simply test nitrate. Is it accurate..im sure it is, but for our purposes i think its a bit above and beyond.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched the while thing! Lol I work in science...and this i must say is beyond what I feel most in this hoby are willing to do to simply test nitrate. Is it accurate..im sure it is, but for our purposes i think its a bit above and beyond.
Its like they started out with the goal of producing a test that was almost completely useless.

I can't imagine what the real error range is given all those vessel transfers and dilution steps.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was terrified to dose Coppersafe until I had the Hanna checker since so many people said the dosing mix wasn't consistent. I'm just paranoid, but its definitely nice to have. I'd like the PO4 one next.
Alaeriel, Love your cat!

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the ULR phosphate checker so far, but just ordered the ALK/dkH checker last night...

I had been using a Red Sea test kit, but all three of the syringes that came in the kit have had their markings wear off so I haven't been able to use those tests until I get some new syringes... Getting the alk checker seemed like a no brainer.

Waiting on my new ALK checker and a new box of syringes off ebay for my CA/MG Red Sea tests.

Last edited:

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LeftyReefer - I have to replace 1ml syringes pretty often - ink is water soluble. Been trying to find some glass 1ml that are etched. For the 10ml one I just score a line at 10ml and don't worry about it.

I have the Phosphate ULR and Alk. Both are quick, easy, and consistent.

Hanna's reference samples do leave quite a bit to be desired though - the Alk one is 5 dkh +- .2 - it doesn't really give me a whole lot of confidence to see that my Alk checker reads 4.8 on 5+-/2 solution - which is nowhere near the actual measurement point (my 8ish alk). My alk checker reads like .5 higher than my Red Sea kit, and I have no idea which is accurate. Solution should be 7 dKH IMO.

The Phoshate reference solution is .4 - which is still really far from the range I'm interested in - but better I guess.

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Tetra Nitrate test kit, so much easier to read than the Red Sea versions.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the only two that are "necessary" are Alkalinity and the ULR Phosphorus (Phosphate). Their alk tester is the easiest non-automated alk test around. And their Phosphorus tester is the most accurate for anyone tracking low range phosphate.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like they started out with the goal of producing a test that was almost completely useless.

I can't imagine what the real error range is given all those vessel transfers and dilution steps.
ha ha, the “Stone Soup” of water testers
Some stuff is needless and/or over engineered. I once designed a man-machine that allowed bachelors to skip their honeymoon, dang setup took all night tho

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the only two that are "necessary" are Alkalinity and the ULR Phosphorus (Phosphate). Their alk tester is the easiest non-automated alk test around. And their Phosphorus tester is the most accurate for anyone tracking low range phosphate.
Do you have a tester for mag, cal, pottasium?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back