Hanna cuvettes are off!!

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m well aware they don’t make them....
and those little plastic syringes are not the same as used in the medical field so not comparable
Actually, I’m a veterinarian...the syringes in all of the test kits I have are medical grade, I use them daily. They should be accurate with a small margin of error. I use syringes exclusively to measure the 10ml, mostly because it’s easier :).
Having said that, I agree with you about the difficulty in making the glass vials that accurate, but repeatability is definitely the key here.....

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you mean like the same small amount of error as a label placed 0.5mm off? ;)
Yea...
I would venture to say it’s a smaller margin of error than that, but yes :). If you want more accuracy, you can use the 1ml syringes, less margin of error but that would be tedious .....lol.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s break this down:
I just don’t like people who are entitled and need to have everything on a silver platter handed to them.
No silver platter comes with the Hanna tester, and it is certainly is not handed to us. We buy them. They come with a 10ml vial with a 10ml line.
The new vials they are producing, that also do not come with said silver platter, nor are they handed to us, also have said 10ml line.
Expectation is that the line is reliably 10ml.

If they can’t even put the lines on all the vials correctly what makes you think the lines on the syringe that came with it are correct? How do you those aren’t off either?
They may be, but the same syringe was used to fill the vials.
And If you are in the hospital and supposed to get TPA for your acute ischemic stroke or heart attack, you better hope the syringes are correct.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is well known, and it also annoys me as you are paying top dollar for a precise piece of “measuring “ equipment and and their very own vials are out of spec. Do you work for Hanna and service their screen printing machine? ;Happy
He's made a bunch of posts like this lately berating people for making legitimate complaints about crappy products.

Not sure what he's trying to achieve.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's made a bunch of posts like this lately berating people for making legitimate complaints about crappy products.

Not sure what he's trying to achieve.
I think he is a she, but not 100% sure. I think we all just think it’s a guy because it’s usually guys who do this

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reality is there will not be a significant differance in the test.
What know one here has done to prove this is an issue at all is test with both to the perspective lines and compair the result.
I have often double tested with the same vial when I feel somethings wrong. 90% of the time I get the same result, 10% I get a result thats off by .1 this is no big deal.
So I recomend to do two tests per vial at the labeled mark and post the result. Lets see if it makes any differance at all.
Then how significant or relevant is that result.
I will get the complaint if vial 1 were to read a Alk of 7 and vial 2 8.
However I doubt this will be the case.

So lets do a control.
Put a sharpie single marker dot on the original vile above the line to not interfere wkth the test then Two dots on the new vial.
Then run two tests on each vial and take a pic of the numbers the checkers.
This will prove if there is an issue to be concerned over or not.

Then we should do the same test with several syringes.
Fill each with 10ml of water dispense into a single vial, make a mark.
Compleatly dry the vial and test the next syringe. Lets see how accurate thay are.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reality is there will not be a significant differance in the test.
What know one here has done to prove this is an issue at all is test with both to the perspective lines and compair the result.
I have often double tested with the same vial when I feel somethings wrong. 90% of the time I get the same result, 10% I get a result thats off by .1 this is no big deal.
So I recomend to do two tests per vial at the labeled mark and post the result. Lets see if it makes any differance at all.
Then how significant or relevant is that result.
I will get the complaint if vial 1 were to read a Alk of 7 and vial 2 8.
However I doubt this will be the case.

So lets do a control.
Put a sharpie single marker dot on the original vile above the line to not interfere wkth the test then Two dots on the new vial.
Then run two tests on each vial and take a pic of the numbers the checkers.
This will prove if there is an issue to be concerned over or not.

Then we should do the same test with several syringes.
Fill each with 10ml of water dispense into a single vial, make a mark.
Compleatly dry the vial and test the next syringe. Lets see how accurate thay are.
Just did a quick morning test for alk.
Filled to the line:
Alk 135-7.56
Filled to the line and add .5 ml.
Alk 132-7.39.
A difference of .17.
I can live with either of those numbers.
Im not going to worry about the line as long as the test is the same every time.

Last edited:

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind, the state of your battery, optical differences between cuvettes, the temperature of the sample, if Venus is in retrograde might affect your tests as well and it's not meant to be exactly the same.

I do highly recommend getting the calibration sample from Hanna though to make sure your device is working within parameters. That's probably the more important you can do. I always check the calibration when I get a wild result that doesn't seem right.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick morning test for alk.
Filled to the line:
Alk 135-7.56
Filled to the line and add .5 ml.
Alk 132-7.39.
A difference of .17.
Im not going to worry about the line as long as the test is the same every time.

Exactly

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind, the state of your battery, optical differences between cuvettes, the temperature of the sample, if Venus is in retrograde might affect your tests as well and it's not meant to be exactly the same.

I do highly recommend getting the calibration sample from Hanna though to make sure your device is working within parameters. That's probably the more important you can do. I always check the calibration when I get a wild result that doesn't seem right.
The problem with the calibration sample is that it's 5 dKH, and it's only made to a +/- .2 accuracy.

IE, it's easy to have a meter that reads 'fine' with the sample and still be significantly off when testing.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90's reefer

If you've got multiple cuvettes, the results aren't going to be the same every time, though.

I'm regularly adjusting alk dosing on changes in the .2 range.

Thats fine, but the same cuvettes should always be used for the same test. Repeatedly.
Especially if you intend to make adjustmens on fractions that low.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sample is really just another data point to check the equipment. Things can of course always be off no matter what but I'd rather at least have the sample than not.

Also, unless the sticks are horribly sick .2 variations in alkalinity will be meaningless and just happen naturally anyway no matter how you dose.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love the mercury in retrograde part...

I’m gonna order the calibration sample. Thanks for that tip.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the calibration sample is that it's 5 dKH, and it's only made to a +/- .2 accuracy.

IE, it's easy to have a meter that reads 'fine' with the sample and still be significantly off when testing.
Thats where another means of testing comes in.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sample is really just another data point to check the equipment. Things can of course always be off no matter what but I'd rather at least have the sample than not.

Also, unless the sticks are horribly sick .2 variations in alkalinity will be meaningless and just happen naturally anyway no matter how you dose.
It's not a useful data point - it's too far from the target range. You're much better off making some of Randy's calibration solution that is 8 dkH. At least that way you know what your accuracy is in the range that matters.

It's a bit like checking your refractometer with RODI. 0 @ 0 doesn't really mean anything when you're trying to hit 1.026.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a useful data point - it's too far from the target range. You're much better off making some of Randy's calibration solution that is 8 dkH. At least that way you know what your accuracy is in the range that matters.

It's a bit like checking your refractometer with RODI. 0 @ 0 doesn't really mean anything when you're trying to hit 1.026.
If I remember correctly, Randy was not sure it would work for the Hanna tester. It may need to be saltwater.

Has anyone tried it? This would be preferable for sure.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back