Hanna Nitrate HR is in the house!

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it odd that it took them this long. I mean, every person in the aquarium hobby tests for Nitrates while the other tests can be somewhat of a niche, particularly for those not keeping corals.

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please will someone who owns this kit make a comparison post off your other nitrate kits plus this one as a comparison

the humdinger would obviously be this device, api nitrate, salifert nitrate, red sea. all on one tank water sample. nyos too but that's asking too much, if anyone owns all these nitrate kits you need help but I'd nearly pay to see the results
Don't have salifert or red sea but I'll do api, nyos and checker tomorrow and post results. After 3 days of testing, I've consistently gotten 18ppm on the Hannah. I was previously using the nyos exclusively and was reading it as 10-12 but now that I got 18 on the Hanna, I can see that I was probably misreading the colors.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very good grouping. I was expecting fifty ppm differences among them

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reagents are up for pre-sale on Saltwater Aquarium. Estimated ship date of July 12th. Also listed at $15 for 25 packs.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to know how the Checker and other test kits compare with an ICP result from ATI. My assumption being an ICP test trumps them all

My last results, sans Hanna:
Salifert - near 10 PPM
API - between 5 - 10 PPM
ATI - 7.98 PPM
Conclusion: My kits are fine. Don't need the added expense of the Checker

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My results:

Hanna: 14.5
Salifert: between 10 and 25 - maybe closer to 10???? (I don't like the spread of this test)
API: Between 10 and 20

I think I'll use the API for my frequent checking....and just use the Hanna to double check if there seems to be an 'issue'. Especially since the reagents are going to be a bit more expensive.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking forward to getting mine. The cost of the reagent isn't that big of a deal to me. I also do target shooting as a hobby. Each time you pull a trigger on a 9mm, 25 cents flies out of the barrel. I don't hesitate to empty the mag each time I fill it. For a tank like mine where I have to add nitrates and phosphates regularly or else they'd be 0, close enough doesn't cut it. I'm not about to go through the process of using the low range checker. The easier the test is to complete, the more likely I am to do it often. I'm excited to get mine after looking at these posts.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine in the mail yesterday(thanks @MarineDepot!).

About to run a test between the Red Sea Pro and this. Will post results shortly.

Reagent costs don't bother me, it's part of owning the tank and the ease of use in which this test provides(one step, Vs. 3 with the red sea pro).

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine in the mail yesterday(thanks @MarineDepot!).

About to run a test between the Red Sea Pro and this. Will post results shortly.

Reagent costs don't bother me, it's part of owning the tank and the ease of use in which this test provides(one step, Vs. 3 with the red sea pro).
Mine is out for delivery. I've held off on my weekly water testing to try it out LOL

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just ran both tests(red sea pro, and the Hanna), both came in reasonably close to each other for me to trust the Hanna.

Red Sea pro - just a little over 16, but not quite 32(range of the 2 colors in the high range kit)
Hanna - tested 3 times and all three times came in at 19.5.

20210629_111605.jpg

Also just wanted to say, their cuvette supplier sucks. This is the second meter I've gotten that has had a cracked cuvette. Good thing they supply 2!

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just ran both tests(red sea pro, and the Hanna), both came in reasonably close to each other for me to trust the Hanna.

Red Sea pro - just a little over 16, but not quite 32(range of the 2 colors in the high range kit)
Hanna - tested 3 times and all three times came in at 19.5.

20210629_111605.jpg

Also just wanted to say, their cuvette supplier sucks. This is the second meter I've gotten that has had a cracked cuvette. Good thing they supply 2!
Can't wait to try mine out and compare to my Nyos. I have trouble judging between the 5 and 12 readings on there, and while ultimately not a huge deal, a reading of 10+ tells me to harvest my chaeto and a reading of under 10 says I can leave it. I target 5 for my tank.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i just ordered a salifert test the other day. guess i'll use that up and see how this goes for the next few months. hopefully there is supply issues with the regents and study reading over the next 4 months. then maybe i'll get one.
but to be honest i dont test a ton....I know I know
Embarrassed Shame GIF

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it odd that it took them this long. I mean, every person in the aquarium hobby tests for Nitrates while the other tests can be somewhat of a niche, particularly for those not keeping corals.
BRS did say once that they were pestering Hanna for a nitrate test, Hanna said they were trying to put one together but just couldn't solve a few issues with it, I think BRS suggested a workaround for a couple of the issue with their testing...I think that is what Ryan was saying in one of his videos if I remember correctly.

cbc4447

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did say once that they were pestering Hanna for a nitrate test, Hanna said they were trying to put one together but just couldn't solve a few issues with it, I think BRS suggested a workaround for a couple of the issue with their testing...I think that is what Ryan was saying in one of his videos if I remember correctly.

One of the main issues with nitrate testing is interference by chloride, and hence differences based on salinity alone.

Normal kits get around that by just not being very precise. lol

I'm not sure if Hanna got completely around it or not.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the salinity impact here (Table 2 and Chart 2):

"This was not an extensive evaluation of the salinity effect but nonetheless it is an indicator that we need to pay attention to the salinity as a potential variable in the measurement."

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 76 47.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back