Hanna Phosphorus checker unreliable ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna phosphorus checker is so unreliable I’ve just done 4 tests back to back and got the following

152ppb
121ppb
59ppb
89ppb

test procedure is down to a tee had the checker for a good few months I’m going through reagents like money is no object it’s a joke spending a good hour of my evening to try and get results that are similar

any suggestions or anyone having the same issue

I take the water from the middle of the dt with a syringe and fill to the line every single time

it’s getting to the point I just want to take a hammer to the checker and break it into oblivion

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with mine until I tried:
Cleaning the beaker with microfibre at each stage.
Inserting with the hanna 10ml facing forward each time.
it is v sensitive to micro bubbles and marks on the container.
that is the correct way to do it

there are three videos for the following on youtube: 774, 736 and 713. step by step

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GazS I do exactly the same as yourself I ensure cuvette is throughly cleaned and facing the same way each time as for micro bubbles I can try turning everything off and then taking a reading I don’t see any bubbles though looking like ima have to fork out for the calibration standard

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are taking the sample from the middle of the DT, the problem might be suspended solids. To the naked eye it may look clear, but there (should be) a lot of stuff floating around the tank. If there's a place in the system with a filter, I'd try directly after the that. Or you can also get these little filters that go in the end of syringes. Amazon has them but you could probably find them even cheaper from lab supply. I
ht tps ://ww w. amazo n.c om/Syringe-Filters-Filter-Diameter-Ks-Tek/dp/B087LYP829/

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with mine until I tried:
Cleaning the beaker with microfibre at each stage.
Inserting with the hanna 10ml facing forward each time.
it is v sensitive to micro bubbles and marks on the container.

I have never had a problem. I check mine every other day and it's always in the same ball park. I am using ULR HI736 checker

Since you are taking the sample from the middle of the DT, the problem might be suspended solids. To the naked eye it may look clear, but there (should be) a lot of stuff floating around the tank. If there's a place in the system with a filter, I'd try directly after the that. Or you can also get these little filters that go in the end of syringes. Amazon has them but you could probably find them even cheaper from lab supply.

Good shout can try taking the sample from the filter return that I run a small amount of floss and carbon through

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem. I check mine every other day and it's always in the same ball park. I am using ULR HI736 checker
Yeah me too. You could have a defective unit. Ever drop it? Maybe warrantee?

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah me too. You could have a defective unit. Ever drop it? Maybe warrantee?
Never dropped always taken care of as if it were lab equipment it’s around 4 - 6 months old it’s very odd :/ I’m going to try and and take the sample from the return and see if that helps I’ll run another two tests taking my tally to 6 packets used today lol

if the readings are way off from one another I’ll order new cuvettes and their calibration standard and see what happens will report back shortly

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week we had a very similar thread, the OP stated they were following the instructions to the letter, after a couple of replies he realised he wasn’t.

if you are following the instructions to the letter then you have either a bad packet of reagents or your checker is broke, as getting 152 and 59 reading is crazy.

Have to say mine is great but I do a couple of extra things, such as fill the tubes with Rodi water when being stored and line up the tube the same way each time and use a good microfibre cloth to wipe.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna phosphorus checker is so unreliable I’ve just done 4 tests back to back and got the following

152ppb
121ppb
59ppb
89ppb

test procedure is down to a tee had the checker for a good few months I’m going through reagents like money is no object it’s a joke spending a good hour of my evening to try and get results that are similar

any suggestions or anyone having the same issue

I take the water from the middle of the dt with a syringe and fill to the line every single time

it’s getting to the point I just want to take a hammer to the checker and break it into oblivion
Are you shaking the mixture of powder and water sample at least one minute and letting it stand 3 minutes? If yes, contact Hanna support before buying anything. The Checker might be broken.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
44DF1622-AFA8-4CE1-A12C-D270286ADCB1.jpeg
745F23D5-6AC1-404A-8613-CD1957E048E1.jpeg
Test results 1 &
2, back to back, just to help the OP have confidence that this can be done.

(Note- the pH checker is new to me and I’m not sure I did the test correctly- it looks low? But it was repetitive +-0.1. I’m going to find the new directions that I seem to have lost, 4 drops?)

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you shaking the mixture of powder and water sample at least one minute and letting it stand 3 minutes? If yes, contact Hanna support before buying anything. The Checker might be broken.
Just for the record you have to shake it for 2 minutes before you let it stand for 3. Just because we are talking to the letter process.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
44DF1622-AFA8-4CE1-A12C-D270286ADCB1.jpeg
745F23D5-6AC1-404A-8613-CD1957E048E1.jpeg
Test results 1 &
2, back to back, just to help the OP have confidence that this can be done.

(Note- the pH checker is new to me and I’m not sure I did the test correctly- it looks low? But it was repetitive +-0.1. I’m going to find the new directions that I seem to have lost, 4 drops?)

Yes four drops on the PH checker

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone so i turned the skimmer off to reduce micro bubbles in the sample and took the sample from the filter return first test 89ppb sounding good right ? Second test cleaned out vial with Rodi 0tds refilled vial with water from the return to the line on the vial cleaned before c1 and again once after the reagent was added and shaken came out at 60ppb so today we have had

152ppb
121ppb
59ppb
89ppb
89ppb
60ppb

following the same procedure to the tee

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back