Hanna ultra low range phosphate checker..!!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The line is a guide at the EXACT measurement of where you need to fill to. It's a lot easier and more accurate to fill to the meniscus specifically to that line than it is to fill a 10ml syringe and push it out with the air bubbles and what not. A 10ml syringe will get your meniscus to that line perfectly regardless.

The only other thing that could cause crazy high readings like a .67 are finger prints, and micro-bubbles. Not shaking the cuvette enough will show lower readings as will not mixing for a total of 2 minutes on the dot.

If his meniscus is not perfectly on the line then he needs to get it there and re-test.

If the plunger of the syring is bottomed out when you draw in solution, it makes no difference if there is a bubble in it or not, 10ml of water will still come out of it. Anyone that believes they can eyeball that line better than a syringe is crazy.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the plunger of the syring is bottomed out when you draw in solution, it makes no difference if there is a bubble in it or not, 10ml of water will still come out of it. Anyone that believes they can eyeball that line better than a syringe is crazy.

If that's how you do it, then power to you.

We're drifting away from ops question though. My point was that the only two things that can really cause crazy readings like he received are not having enough water and microbubbles.

I'm making the assumption here that op is obviously tapping out the micro-bubbles or is cautiously shaking in a manner that doesn't cause them in the first place.

That leaves not enough water. How you measure how much to put in is up to you whether it's by a syringe or using the benchmark hanna provides to us. The point is if you don't add enough, you will get crazy high results like .67.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That leaves not enough water. How you measure how much to put in is up to you whether it's by a syringe or using the benchmark hanna provides to us. The point is if you don't add enough, you will get crazy high results like .67.

Which is why we're suggesting the use of a syringe (i.e. easier to measure accurately). You apparently have a good eye and a bad syringe.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reminds me of the thread where a user was reporting something similar with a phosphorous checker. He called up Hanna and they told him to fill the meniscus to exactly the line in the vial. It's best to rely on what hanna says to do.

The second I put the menscisus smack dab on their line and stopped using a 10ml syringe I started receiving accurate results evidenced by multiple tests against standards and spot-checking my tank after dosing phosphorous.

The delta may be due to volume added from the regeant. Who knows? It's irrelevant.
But it’s not irrelevant... if as you said in your post a small deviation makes a diference, if there was a wide tolerance it wouldnt be important.. so which is it? Just because your way gives you repeatable results doesn’t mean there correct... The powder is measured out to dissolve in 10ml of tank water not 9.5 or 11ml

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it’s not irrelevant... if as you said in your post a small deviation makes a diference, if there was a wide tolerance it wouldnt be important.. so which is it? Just because your way gives you repeatable results doesn’t mean there correct... The powder is measured out to dissolve in 10ml of tank water not 9.5 or 11ml

Hanna said to put the meniscus on the line, that's what I'm going to do.

Not sure why you are getting personal or even making this an issue. I'm not telling op to not use a syringe and I'm not calling you out for using one.

I'm making the point to fill the water as needed providing my anecdotal experience and guidance from Hanna themselves. I believe my results to be accurate as I test them every week against standards and re-test my tank after dosing phosphorous, it's always precise.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna said to put the meniscus on the line, that's what I'm going to do.

Not sure why you are getting personal or even making this an issue. I'm not telling op to not use a syringe and I'm not calling you out for using one.

I'm making the point to fill the water as needed providing my anecdotal experience and guidance from Hanna themselves. I believe my results to be accurate as I test them every week against standards and re-test my tank after dosing phosphorous, it's always precise.
It’s not personal, but my experience with the vials is that they all vary in volume, so I believe to measure 10ml with a quality calibrated syringe is more accurate and has less variance when I change vials. We’re simply sharing our preferred methods, if you go back to me first post it was simply “are you aware the levels on the vials vary” which is true.. it was you who then posted war and peace in response..

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t what’s the difference between ulr phosphate checker and the ulr phosphorus checker.Because I have the ulr phosphate checker.
There's not a Cheat sheet to convert between the two, both tests are different. Called Hanna on this one myself. I have the ulr phosphate, blue large model not the egg, which I use. The phosphorus one sits in the closet.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not personal, but my experience with the vials is that they all vary in volume, so I believe to measure 10ml with a quality calibrated syringe is more accurate and has less variance when I change vials. We’re simply sharing our preferred methods, if you go back to me first post it was simply “are you aware the levels on the vials vary” which is true.. it was you who then posted war and peace in response..

I'm going to err with hanna, they test their 10ml lines with research grade calibrated pipettes. I suspect user error. If you can find someone who has tested the 10ml lines with similar grade equipment, not a little syringe, and found a material amount of cuvettes with the 10ml line being inaccurate then maybe it's worth checking out.

Until then, it's probably best to read and stick to the instructions the company clearly wants you to follow.

This side conversation is getting off track, I think OP gets the point.

OP
OP
R

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,everyone for your input,I will definitely use a syringe,that make a lot of sense..!!!

Last edited:

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to err with hanna, they test their 10ml lines with research grade calibrated pipettes. I suspect user error. If you can find someone who has tested the 10ml lines with similar grade equipment, not a little syringe, and found a material amount of cuvettes with the 10ml line being inaccurate then maybe it's worth checking out.

Until then, it's probably best to read and stick to the instructions the company clearly wants you to follow.

This side conversation is getting off track, I think OP gets the point.

You are an arrogant man.. do you think I don’t know how to use the test kit??? and I clearly said a calibrated syringe.. “not a little syringe”just carry on doing what you do and I’ll do likewise... buy a new set of curvettes and I’ll have a sportsman’s bet with you that the volume to the line differs between them... ive bought several sets and checked them all...
Apologies to the OP for the sidetrack

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,everyone for your input,I will definitely use a syringe,that make a lot sense..!!!
One other thing to remember to do is to make sure you index the vial correctly in the tester, i use a dot on mine to ensure that it goes back into the tester after I’ve shaken it in exactly the same way. Hanna advise doing this as vial wall thickness and shape varies around the vials.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing, just to make sure, are you using the same vial and water to test? Some people fill the second cuvette with water to initially zero then put regent in another so they have more time. This could cause crazy results.

Back