• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Hanna Checker(s) Issues

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? Every 10ml syringe I have, will fill about 1/8th" to 3/16" above the cuvette line (depending on how the water curves up in the cuvette) which is supposed to be 10ml. I've used 4 different syringes. Frankly, google searching "Hanna 10ml line not really 10ml" lead me to several pages of post's with people having issues with their Hanna devices. So do we fill with 10ml or do we fill to the Hanna 10ml line. I've also placed every cuvette side by side and the line is the same on all of them, for all 4 readers I have. The 10ml syringes are various manufacturers and all from the hospital (where it's slightly more than important to be accurate ). I've even used the kids little medicine cup filled it to the 10ml mark (matched the syringes) poured it in the cuvette and it was over the line just the same.
Granted all of my cuvettes are from checkers at least 4-5 years old, but still functional and semi useful. I didn't get the memo if 10ml has changed to 9.2ml in the last 5 years... Just wondering what the deal is, because there' no way I've been getting accurate readings. Filling to the line to test once and then filling with a true 10ml sample to test twice, to then get an average is a serious pain and a considerable waste of reagents and money.
Can I get replacements please?
I know that when I count the drops in each ml. and add reagents to the specified drop amount, I will get similar, but different none the less... readings.

The other thing I've read is they need to be calibrated, sometimes right after purchase. Ok? I've bought all the calibration stuff... it doesnt change the line.

This is not a thread to bash just an experienced reefer with some grievances.

To some degree I like the idea behind the checkers. I am methodical about having everything completely organized and clean and following the instructions to the letter. I'm not giving credit to any of these other reviews im reading recently. Hanna is having a package give away of their checkers and 1 of the requirements was you have to leave a review about their product on one of the companies on the web selling them...most of those reviews are 5 stars withing the last month+ Hmm... that just seems like cheating.

So, thanks for bearing with me... what say you?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You like to read. Here ya go. You need more precise measurements then send a sample in to a lab ex. Triton, ATI, etc.

Screenshot_20180110-215928.png

Attachments

• ist713_03_13.pdf
    0 bytes · Views: 222
Last edited:
OP
OP
dvbrien

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a comedian so don' take my professional sarcasm as an insult... I'm just usually being silly.

I'm not sure how your reply helps me... I have all this information. I know what the directions are by heart. I know what they say vs. What I see...

OP
OP
dvbrien

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate reading' on the directions 1.52 lol can you imagine? Your hair algae would have its own zip code.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a comedian so don' take my professional sarcasm as an insult... I'm just usually being silly.

I'm not sure how your reply helps me... I have all this information. I know what the directions are by heart. I know what they say vs. What I see...

You fill to the line on the cuvette.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dvbrien

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the thing... you have 1 group of people in a lab developing the chemical reactions that will determine the result of such tests... then there is a contracted company who gets the bid to make cuvettes with a little line on them... approximately at 10ml. The left hand has no idea what the right hand does. I believe filling to the line contradicts the instructions. But I will wait for an official reply.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received new hanna checkers. I will check them when I get home to a seperate ml container and see how much mine are off.

OP
OP
dvbrien

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition... Hanna, it's absolutely ridiculous for us to be charged for calibration fluid, to test your frequently faulty devices. It's like having to do your own crash testing in the car you just bought to make sure the car will behave correctly.

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition... Hanna, it's absolutely ridiculous for us to be charged for calibration fluid, to test your frequently faulty devices. It's like having to do your own crash testing in the car you just bought to make sure the car will behave correctly.

The "calibration" fluids you speak of are not necessary. The Checkers never need to be calibrated. These are merely validation kits to make sure your unit is functioning within its designated accuracy statement.

If you truly think your cuvettes are not 10ml you can contact [email protected] and we can handle this situation.

Feel free to dm us photos of your cuvettes.

We regularly check our cuvettes 10ml accuracy with research grade calibrated pipettes. We never find issues.

Thank you for using our products and for taking the time to ask these questions!

Its very unlikely that there are errors in the 10ml line, this is due to the manufacturing process and our strict level of quality control. ( we are an ISO 9001:2008 certified company)
We also regularly validate our Checker cuvette volume with calibrated laboratory pipettes. If you have photos of how far above the line and how you fill your syringes feel free to send them over via direct message.

When filling the cuvette, you need to read the meniscus, in the case of our Checkers it would be a concave meniscus. The bottom of the curve reaches the 10ml line for the cuvette. In addition, you need to read the fill line at eye level on a flat surface. Any deviation in the level of the surface can cause the line to be skewed.
meniscus.jpg

Image credit and source is from Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.

If you do notice that your cuvettes are somehow not consistent please contact [email protected] or 401-765-7500 Monday-Friday 8:30am to 5pm EST. Also feel free to send us pictures through Reef 2 Reef. We take testing very seriously and will address any problems or issue that may arise.

We recommend replacing any cuvettes with scratches or where visual clarity is compromised. Its hard to quantify to what degree accuracy is affected by scratches, however based on the principles of colorimetry it may cause inadequate or untrue absorption of color by impeding the pathway for light.

We now sell two cuvettes and caps in a set of 2 for only $8.00. you can get them from @Bulk Reef Supply

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you fill the syringe are you over filling it? Ex squirting out the air bubble at the top of the syringe upon first filling? This air represents the space in the nozzle portion of the syringe which is accounted for by the measurements on the outside of the syringe. If you suck up to the 10ml line and squirt out the air bubble then refill to the 10ml line you have now added that volume on top of the 10ml which would put you slightly 0ver the 10ml mark in the vial. Just a thought....

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my hanna cuvette to two different 10 ml measuring cups. 10 ml was right on the cuvette line.

Like I said, these are affordable hobby grade test kits that we are lucky to have. You could always take two samples, test one and send the other to Triton or ati lab and compare your results.

20180111_160722.jpg

20180111_160835.jpg

20180111_161217.jpg

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my hanna cuvette to two different 10 ml measuring cups. 10 ml was right on the cuvette line.

Like I said, these are affordable hobby grade test kits that we are lucky to have. You could always take two samples, test one and send the other to Triton or ati lab and compare your results.

20180111_160722.jpg

20180111_160835.jpg

20180111_161217.jpg
Thank you for being a valued Hanna customer! We strive to provide affordable yet accurate analytical instrumentation to all of our customers!

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What? Every 10ml syringe I have, will fill about 1/8th" to 3/16" above the cuvette line (depending on how the water curves up in the cuvette) which is supposed to be 10ml. I've used 4 different syringes. Frankly, google searching "Hanna 10ml line not really 10ml" lead me to several pages of post's with people having issues with their Hanna devices. So do we fill with 10ml or do we fill to the Hanna 10ml line. I've also placed every cuvette side by side and the line is the same on all of them, for all 4 readers I have. The 10ml syringes are various manufacturers and all from the hospital (where it's slightly more than important to be accurate ). I've even used the kids little medicine cup filled it to the 10ml mark (matched the syringes) poured it in the cuvette and it was over the line just the same.
Granted all of my cuvettes are from checkers at least 4-5 years old, but still functional and semi useful. I didn't get the memo if 10ml has changed to 9.2ml in the last 5 years... Just wondering what the deal is, because there' no way I've been getting accurate readings. Filling to the line to test once and then filling with a true 10ml sample to test twice, to then get an average is a serious pain and a considerable waste of reagents and money.
Can I get replacements please?
I know that when I count the drops in each ml. and add reagents to the specified drop amount, I will get similar, but different none the less... readings.

The other thing I've read is they need to be calibrated, sometimes right after purchase. Ok? I've bought all the calibration stuff... it doesnt change the line.

This is not a thread to bash just an experienced reefer with some grievances.

To some degree I like the idea behind the checkers. I am methodical about having everything completely organized and clean and following the instructions to the letter. I'm not giving credit to any of these other reviews im reading recently. Hanna is having a package give away of their checkers and 1 of the requirements was you have to leave a review about their product on one of the companies on the web selling them...most of those reviews are 5 stars withing the last month+ Hmm... that just seems like cheating.

So, thanks for bearing with me... what say you?

I agree with the OP. I fill mine with known 10ml and it is absolutely above the line. I also have a quick question regarding the phosphate test. After you put the powder in, or at least as much as you can get from the stupid packet lol. You have to mix for 2/3 mins till its all dissolved then press button to start countdown. Problem is the checker has turned off by itself and when I hit the button it wants to start over with the C1. What am I doing wrong here? Do you hold the button down? Eric

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back