Hannah Alkalinity Refill inaccurate.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had/having same issue. So annoyed as I assumed the hanna checker for alk was one of the best testers and maybe it is but clearly I had a bad batch of reagent since results read 10.5 two days ago did a 10% water change tested next morning 11.5 was like "no way it's that high", opened a brand new reagent and test....7.9 salifert test confirms that as well. Another hard lesson learned. Guess I know why all my frogspawn died. $300 coral order every single one gone. So my question is what test/tester (other than of course the $1500 apex/trident) can be trusted?
First, we now know than ever that our corals are like the canary in the coal mine. They tell us a lot before any test can. But when it comes to testing. I'll give you an example my pH, I have three different devices. To make sure pH is accurate. I don't use any wet chemistry to test ph. I use electronic devices. So you may have to test different ways for each perimeter and see if you get the same results when it comes to alkalinity, nitrates etc
Bummer

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started this thread years ago this is what I have learned. There are several factors that can cause this to happen. The first is if you do not tighten the cap tightly after every use then it can cause this. Next is reusing the same syringe instead of using a new one for each test or not thoroughly cleaning the first syringe with ro water which can contaminate the reagent.

I now make sure the lid is tightly secured and I put it in a zip lock bag to prevent any air entering between uses. I use a new syringe 10ml/1ml syringe each rest. I purchased the hanna reference vials to make sure my checker was working properly. I also have a Salifert alk test to compare if I think the number is not right. A good way to know is by knowing the alk of the salt you are using if you're not dosing anything. For example, I've been using TM pro which mixes up to around 7dkh and I don't dose anything so I know if I use the checker and it says it's at 10dkh then something isn't right. I've not had any issues since doing these things.

The important thing to remember is that all these test kits are hobby grade and aren't icp quality results.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had/having same issue. So annoyed as I assumed the hanna checker for alk was one of the best testers and maybe it is but clearly I had a bad batch of reagent since results read 10.5 two days ago did a 10% water change tested next morning 11.5 was like "no way it's that high", opened a brand new reagent and test....7.9 salifert test confirms that as well. Another hard lesson learned. Guess I know why all my frogspawn died. $300 coral order every single one gone. So my question is what test/tester (other than of course the $1500 apex/trident) can be trusted?
use this link: Alk. cal. check for dkh version With this you will know if your unit is reading correct. If off then you know the offset number to calculate what you do have. IMO These kit should be used to be in the know.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back