Hannah Alkalinity Refill inaccurate.

Danj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got around to testing the fauna Marin multireference that I ordered a little while ago:

Standard: 7.7
Hanna (batch 7664): 7.62

Pretty impressive, IMO. I, for one, will be putting my pitchfork away

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I was not bashing the Hanna. I've been using it every day for three years, and I plan to keep using it. That being said, I think I know what I am doing as far as having a repeatable methodology, since day to day the readings make sense and are predictable for both my tanks. I do all the things that the Hanna rep kindly repeated early in the thread. And I always cross check a new batch of reagent with readings from the previous batch. I also know exactly what the delta for my meter is with respect to the Hanna alk standard (mine reads 90 versus the expected 100). So my inputs are not about accuracy/repeatability of readings of my meter, I am comfortable with that.

For my part in this thread I just wanted to report that the two lots I mentioned had much lower readings than several other lots I tried on the same day, and that one of them matched the lot reported by the OP. This was checked multiple times with the lots in question before I chose not to use them and moved on to other lots. All the other discussion in this thread of whether the meter is good or not is pretty much off-topic in my opinion. This is an issue with the reagent in specific lots, not the checker.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always cross check a new batch of reagent with readings from the previous batch.
This should always be done when a new kit or reagent is used.

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been getting weirdly inconsistent readings with my current batch of reagent as well. Read 7.9, which seemed low, then next test read 6.4!, then last test read 8.4. Compared to my red sea alk test, and that gave me 8.4 as well.

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just now, 4.4! I feel like I should just replace the tester. I have zero confidence in it for now. I'm going to keep testing via Red Sea until I order a replacement tester.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make note, lot 7664 is consistently reading 1dkh high for me.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an alkalinity standard on the way.... curious to see how mine tests. I'll try to remember to post the results here.

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the reference number to the alkalinity reagent if used with plain RODI water? I got two new bottles with different lot numbers, and my previous old bottle reads 9.0, one of the new ones read 8.6, and the other new one reads 8.3. My Salifert test kit consistently reads 9.0 also. This is testing my tank water from the same cup of water scooped. There is no standard reference solution included to test with, so wondering how to properly know if the reagent is good, assuming there isn't a recall or it's not a "bad batch".

Yes, I already have the Hanna Alkalinity Standard check set also, and my Checker is on point at 6.0 dkh with that.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the reference number to the alkalinity reagent if used with plain RODI water? I got two new bottles with different lot numbers, and my previous old bottle reads 9.0, one of the new ones read 8.6, and the other new one reads 8.3. My Salifert test kit consistently reads 9.0 also. This is testing my tank water from the same cup of water scooped. There is no standard reference solution included to test with, so wondering how to properly know if the reagent is good, assuming there isn't a recall or it's not a "bad batch".

Yes, I already have the Hanna Alkalinity Standard check set also, and my Checker is on point at 6.0 dkh with that.
Here is your answer-Reference solution. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hi772-11-alkalinity-dkh-calibration-check-set.html

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have that already as stated in my last sentence. That only checks if the unit is calibrated/referenced. My question is how to test if the reagent is correct/non-defective?
I thought I had answered this yesterday, but obviously I forgot. Not sure what happened to my post. :confused:

I ended up getting a KH reference from GHL. Pretty expensive with shipping so I waited until I had other products I needed.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/kh-reference-solution-1000ml/

Fauna Marin has a standard that is good for Alk, Calc, and Mg but it wasn't available to me when I ordered the GHL reference. Might be available now.
https://www.faunamarin.de/en/multi-reference-100ml/a-167/

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had answered this yesterday, but obviously I forgot. Not sure what happened to my post. :confused:

I ended up getting a KH reference from GHL. Pretty expensive with shipping so I waited until I had other products I needed.

Fauna Marin has a standard that is good for Alk, Calc, and Mg but it wasn't available to me when I ordered the GHL reference. Might be available now.

Perfect! Thanks.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you know if fana marin sol. is available in the states? I just found it in canada. https://sustainablemarinecanada.ca/products/fauna-marin-reference-solution

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like bad batch . Sorry to hear
Yes I had/having same issue. So annoyed as I assumed the hanna checker for alk was one of the best testers and maybe it is but clearly I had a bad batch of reagent since results read 10.5 two days ago did a 10% water change tested next morning 11.5 was like "no way it's that high", opened a brand new reagent and test....7.9 salifert test confirms that as well. Another hard lesson learned. Guess I know why all my frogspawn died. $300 coral order every single one gone. So my question is what test/tester (other than of course the $1500 apex/trident) can be trusted?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back