Happy Election Day! Elect your next reef food and WIN!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you unfamiliar, the Plank is a revolutionary new feeding system that is designed to allow effective and automated dosing of freeze-dried whole plankton style foods. Typically, one of the biggest difficulties with using freeze dried food is its tendency to float. This makes it hard to deliver to fish that won't come to the top, or to corals in general. Also, floating food ends up in the overflow and filtration, rather than in the bellies of your animals. The Plank solves this problem with a specially designed mixing chamber that results in neutrally buoyant food particles that circulate through the water column, just like when you pour in thawed frozen food.

Many years ago, (over ten now!), Dan and I were working on the early versions of what has evolved into the Plank. We also worked on an automated frozen food feeder probably 6+ years ago. There are still old threads and videos about this on various forums and youtube. I even had it working reasonably well. But the problem was that it was still a major hassle to clean, fill, tune, etc., plus it was very complex (i.e., expensive). One day we thought about freeze dried food, and the benefits became immediately obvious. All the nutrition and attractant value of frozen, but way easier to deal with. Thus, the Plank was born.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth noting that while the Plank can dose pellets and flakes, and it generally does this very well, it's not really meant for these. It is more expensive than other feeders out there, but the value really comes through when you consider its ability to feed Reef Jerky and similar whole freeze-dried products. Calanoid copepods (the primary component of RJ, calanus finmarchicus) are ridiculously good, attractive food for nearly every reef fish we keep. They are packed full of astaxanthin and other carotenoids, so much that they can actually turn the sea red seen from a satellite. Couple this with microdosing throughout the day, and you have the means to keep really finicky, high maintenance fish (like these purple queen anthias from @sdreef) thriving in a home reef.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth noting that while the Plank can dose pellets and flakes, and it generally does this very well, it's not really meant for these. It is more expensive than other feeders out there, but the value really comes through when you consider its ability to feed Reef Jerky and similar whole freeze-dried products. Calanoid copepods (the primary component of RJ, calanus finmarchicus) are ridiculously good, attractive food for nearly every reef fish we keep. They are packed full of astaxanthin and other carotenoids, so much that they can actually turn the sea red seen from a satellite. Couple this with microdosing throughout the day, and you have the means to keep really finicky, high maintenance fish (like these purple queen anthias from @sdreef) thriving in a home reef.

I've noticed a number of benefits from small frequent feedings. I have busy schedule and there's no way I'd be able to feed 6-8 times / day without the plank. I've observed the fish all seem to get along better with the frequent feedings. A number of the fish and organisms that are thriving in the system would have otherwise been unlikely to survive and do well.

Currently I feed primarily freeze dried mysis and calanus. I sift the freeze dried mysis and have moved away from the more powdered particulate freeze dried foods. The mysis provides excellent nutrition and my fish have grown fast. The calanus seems to improve the coloration of the fish. I use the plank to thaw and feed frozen food at times too. I have prewashed cubes of frozen food I add to the mixing tube to thaw. The tank gets fed next time the pump comes on. This product has been really helpful for my system.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 3 options would be great. I went through 1/2 the container I got in a month, mixed with other foods. Maybe have this size, one that's twice as much and one that's 4x as much? It's packaging and shipping that add to the cost
Love this idea. It is a struggle managing packaging cost on smaller items for sure. We have also had to completely change our packaging and labels several times due to bulk container availability just in the last year. We are looking to try and find a "scalable" packaging solution that is not limited and is as eco friendly as possible, if any one has ideas about this I would love to hear it as well. :)

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this idea. It is a struggle managing packaging cost on smaller items for sure. We have also had to completely change our packaging and labels several times due to bulk container availability just in the last year. We are looking to try and find a "scalable" packaging solution that is not limited and is as eco friendly as possible, if any one has ideas about this I would love to hear it as well. :)
Plastic bag tucked in a labeled box?

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed a number of benefits from small frequent feedings. I have busy schedule and there's no way I'd be able to feed 6-8 times / day without the plank. I've observed the fish all seem to get along better with the frequent feedings. A number of the fish and organisms that are thriving in the system would have otherwise been unlikely to survive and do well.

Currently I feed primarily freeze dried mysis and calanus. I sift the freeze dried mysis and have moved away from the more powdered particulate freeze dried foods. The mysis provides excellent nutrition and my fish have grown fast. The calanus seems to improve the coloration of the fish. I use the plank to thaw and feed frozen food at times too. I have prewashed cubes of frozen food I add to the mixing tube to thaw. The tank gets fed next time the pump comes on. This product has been really helpful for my system.

I really believe limiting feeding to 1 or 2 times a day causes some animals quite a bit of stress. Having a more available supply of plankton in the water column throughout the day definitely creates a better community atmosphere, I am glad you notice it too!

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really believe limiting feeding to 1 or 2 times a day causes some animals quite a bit of stress. Having a more available supply of plankton in the water column throughout the day definitely creates a better community atmosphere, I am glad you notice it too!

It makes sense that fish will be happier when they have a more natural feeding schedule. In the wild, these animals are accustomed to feeding small amounts throughout the day. Better community atmosphere is the perfect way to describe what I've observed. A couple of local reefer buddies who have added a plank and copied a similar feeding schedule have noticed a similar effect in their systems too.

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic bag tucked in a labeled box?
I like this idea as it is at least partially recyclable and uses less plastic. I've read that a lot of plastic doesn't actually get recycled these days. My favorite is still the metal tea tins, but they've been impossible to get due to supply chain issues. We've been forced to switch to the wide plastic jars that everyone else uses. My preference is anything fully recyclable (and actually gets recycled) or even better, reusable like the tea tins.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea as it is at least partially recyclable and uses less plastic. I've read that a lot of plastic doesn't actually get recycled these days. My favorite is still the metal tea tins, but they've been impossible to get due to supply chain issues. We've been forced to switch to the wide plastic jars that everyone else uses. My preference is anything fully recyclable (and actually gets recycled) or even better, reusable like the tea tins.
If that is the case, think about a paperbag that resembles the dunkin donuts one pound coffee bag. That should put you in a REAL good spot...big recycled icon right on the back.

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes sense that fish will be happier when they have a more natural feeding schedule. In the wild, these animals are accustomed to feeding small amounts throughout the day. Better community atmosphere is the perfect way to describe what I've observed. A couple of local reefer buddies who have added a plank and copied a similar feeding schedule have noticed a similar effect in their systems too.
I just had to move a bunch of my fish from one tank into the other on the same system due to a tank leak. Unfortunately this included several tangs being moved into the home of my 11 year old powder blue, who did not appreciate the new tankmates at first. Turning up the food so that they were eating every 30 minutes for a few days definitely distracted the cranky old PBT. When everybody is busy eating, there’s much less arguing.

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sometimes get asked about the freeze drying process and what it means for reef food. Freeze drying is the process of freezing then rapidly removing ALL water from something. It starts with the same process as the frozen food that many of you use: flash freezing to preserve nutrients and freshness. Then it goes one step further in a process called lyophilization; this is the removal of water from the frozen material. Mysis shrimp, strawberries, even ice cream; it all works. The result of the process is you keep all the nutrients, structures, everything. But with zero water, the food can't rot. Bacteria and similar microorganisms require water to metabolize, and when there's none, they can't grow. So the food doesn't spoil. This means freeze dried food has a very long room temperature shelf life, which is very convenient for us aquarists. It’s still best to keep it refrigerated or in the freezer and away from light for long term storage, as the lower temps and lack of light help keep vitamins and other complex molecules from degrading. But it will easily last a few weeks to over a month in the hopper of the Plank with maximum nutritional value.

Melanie Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sometimes get asked about the freeze drying process and what it means for reef food. Freeze drying is the process of freezing then rapidly removing ALL water from something. It starts with the same process as the frozen food that many of you use: flash freezing to preserve nutrients and freshness. Then it goes one step further in a process called lyophilization; this is the removal of water from the frozen material. Mysis shrimp, strawberries, even ice cream; it all works. The result of the process is you keep all the nutrients, structures, everything. But with zero water, the food can't rot. Bacteria and similar microorganisms require water to metabolize, and when there's none, they can't grow. So the food doesn't spoil. This means freeze dried food has a very long room temperature shelf life, which is very convenient for us aquarists. It’s still best to keep it refrigerated or in the freezer and away from light for long term storage, as the lower temps and lack of light help keep vitamins and other complex molecules from degrading. But it will easily last a few weeks to over a month in the hopper of the Plank with maximum nutritional value.
So nice that the food lasts that long in the Plank!

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a couple cans of Reef Jerky during the photo caption contest. I love the stuff and my fish do too.

My only complaint is that I dumped almost all of my Partner Member tickets (I bought extra) into the drawing for one of three Planks and didn't even get close. ;Blackeye

Maybe next year I'll just keep my "gambling money" and buy one. :p

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a couple cans of Reef Jerky during the photo caption contest. I love the stuff and my fish do too.

My only complaint is that I dumped almost all of my Partner Member tickets (I bought extra) into the drawing for one of three Planks and didn't even get close. ;Blackeye

Just buy it. Worth it!!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just put one on my elfster wish list for the R2R secret Santa. It’s pricey but one can dream on that list lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use either. I feed live worms, LRS, and fresh clam. So basically fresh foods. That being said, the reef jerky looks interesting. It would be good for anthias I bet.

If you made a plank that can be used with lids... so the top mechanism isn't hard connected to the bottom. The dried food could fall through my net and into the bottom part to sink... I would consider one.

OP
OP
ctenophore

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use either. I feed live worms, LRS, and fresh clam. So basically fresh foods. That being said, the reef jerky looks interesting. It would be good for anthias I bet.

If you made a plank that can be used with lids... so the top mechanism isn't hard connected to the bottom. The dried food could fall through my net and into the bottom part to sink... I would consider one.
Live food is definitely the best in terms of attractant value, but you do need to consider pathogen potential depending on the source. LRS is good quality, but it’s no fresher than Jerky- both still go through the flash freezing process.
How often are you able to feed the live worms? A live worm automated feeding system would be pretty clever indeed!

The platform can definitely be used with lids- we redesigned it back in January to have the square front that can easily match a lid cutout. We have many many customers that use theirs with a screen top. Send pics of your screen top and tank frame and I’m sure we can figure out a solution for you. The top “keg” portion of the feeder isn’t hard connected to the bottom. It’s a separate piece that rests in two channels on the mounting platform.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you unfamiliar, the Plank is a revolutionary new feeding system that is designed to allow effective and automated dosing of freeze-dried whole plankton style foods. Typically, one of the biggest difficulties with using freeze dried food is its tendency to float. This makes it hard to deliver to fish that won't come to the top, or to corals in general. Also, floating food ends up in the overflow and filtration, rather than in the bellies of your animals. The Plank solves this problem with a specially designed mixing chamber that results in neutrally buoyant food particles that circulate through the water column, just like when you pour in thawed frozen food.

Many years ago, (over ten now!), Dan and I were working on the early versions of what has evolved into the Plank. We also worked on an automated frozen food feeder probably 6+ years ago. There are still old threads and videos about this on various forums and youtube. I even had it working reasonably well. But the problem was that it was still a major hassle to clean, fill, tune, etc., plus it was very complex (i.e., expensive). One day we thought about freeze dried food, and the benefits became immediately obvious. All the nutrition and attractant value of frozen, but way easier to deal with. Thus, the Plank was born.
Ahh I remember this. I think i saw a post on RC about an automatic frozen food feeder that was in the works. Too bad that didn't work out.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back