Happy to be here!

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! I’ve been lurking around here for a few months trying to learn from all of you experienced folks, from failures to successes. I joined awhile back and asked a couple questions in various forums, but never formally introduced myself here. I asked my first question in the forum for those new to saltwater and reef keeping, and posted the info about me there, so obviously I was confused about where to begin. :) Lived around the oceans my entire life. Spent my teenage years in Okinawa as a military kid. I later joined the military myself and spent most of those 29 years near the ocean. Now I’m retired, and unfortunately not located near an ocean. Go figure! But it’s affordable here, and I’m going to try to bring some of the ocean to me. Had freshwater for a couple years, mainly discus, but am ready to get salty! After way too much time researching tanks, I’m about to pull the trigger on a Cade 1200 S2. (still awaiting info from the home builder on potential weight limits) I was initially going to get a Red Sea AIO, then almost went with an Innovative Marine AIO, went back to Red Sea since they have an AIO that can be converted to sump, decided I wanted to start with sump for flexibility and access, and came across Cade with all the plumbing included. I am not a plumbing person by any stretch of the imagination, and after having a brain injury, some things are just more complicated than I want to sort out. Even when they seem easy on videos! Anyway, I’ve blathered on too long already. So if the floor will support it, I’ll be getting the Cade 1200 soon, or a smaller Cade if needed. The tank is a bit taller than I want, but the other Cade version is just a bit too shallow. I’ll be asking a million questions and scanning the forums for answers beforehand. Such a great community of knowledgeable people! I’m happy to be here! :)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I am upgrading and just got my 225 gal tank wet, which is on the main floor, which in reality is the 2nd floor. I installed compression jacks to hold up the floor in the basement.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom Hanks Hello GIF
welcome!

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I am upgrading and just got my 225 gal tank wet, which is on the main floor, which in reality is the 2nd floor. I installed compression jacks to hold up the floor in the basement.
That sounds like a great fix! What is the footprint for a compression jack? Will it fit in a standard wall? The basement is finished, so I can’t even see where the joists are at this point, but could be done with some modifications I’m guessing. Thanks!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a great fix! What is the footprint for a compression jack? Will it fit in a standard wall? The basement is finished, so I can’t even see where the joists are at this point, but could be done with some modifications I’m guessing. Thanks!
Their are different heights and weight limits, it just depend on what you need. I had to go with 8'4" jacks that had a weight limit of 4.5 tons fully extended. Mainly because of the height, and not the load limit. The base plates are no more than 6"x6". I used 4 2x6x10's and created a header, and then supported the header with 4 compression jacks. I got all of it from Home Depot.

FB782EE2-2A38-439A-9DCC-CC4219B664F3.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! I’ve been lurking around here for a few months trying to learn from all of you experienced folks, from failures to successes. I joined awhile back and asked a couple questions in various forums, but never formally introduced myself here. I asked my first question in the forum for those new to saltwater and reef keeping, and posted the info about me there, so obviously I was confused about where to begin. :) Lived around the oceans my entire life. Spent my teenage years in Okinawa as a military kid. I later joined the military myself and spent most of those 29 years near the ocean. Now I’m retired, and unfortunately not located near an ocean. Go figure! But it’s affordable here, and I’m going to try to bring some of the ocean to me. Had freshwater for a couple years, mainly discus, but am ready to get salty! After way too much time researching tanks, I’m about to pull the trigger on a Cade 1200 S2. (still awaiting info from the home builder on potential weight limits) I was initially going to get a Red Sea AIO, then almost went with an Innovative Marine AIO, went back to Red Sea since they have an AIO that can be converted to sump, decided I wanted to start with sump for flexibility and access, and came across Cade with all the plumbing included. I am not a plumbing person by any stretch of the imagination, and after having a brain injury, some things are just more complicated than I want to sort out. Even when they seem easy on videos! Anyway, I’ve blathered on too long already. So if the floor will support it, I’ll be getting the Cade 1200 soon, or a smaller Cade if needed. The tank is a bit taller than I want, but the other Cade version is just a bit too shallow. I’ll be asking a million questions and scanning the forums for answers beforehand. Such a great community of knowledgeable people! I’m happy to be here! :)
Welcome!

Thank you for your service!

Glad you joined!

Recommend starting build thread when you are ready. I didn't and now I'm going back historically to document for myself. They give you a badge by your name once you start your build thread (look left by my ID)

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their are different heights and weight limits, it just depend on what you need. I had to go with 8'4" jacks that had a weight limit of 4.5 tons fully extended. Mainly because of the height, and not the load limit. The base plates are no more than 6"x6". I used 4 2x6x10's and created a header, and then supported the header with 4 compression jacks. I got all of it from Home Depot.
Sounds great! I’ll see what the original builder comes back with, and maybe ask him about putting those in. Took some saving to have enough for the Cade, so I’m hopeful the floor will hold the weight without the need for jacks. Love to be able to do them myself if needed, but that isn’t in the realm of possibility! ;) And while the tank would be fine with any weight in the basement, I’d prefer upstairs.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and thanks for saying Hi!
I almost feel like thanks for your service isn't enough.... you have given your entire life - even as a child - to this country. Just wow. It's not enough but Thank You. The sacrifices of the families of service members are incredibly significant. We are all in your debt.
Godspeed and best wishes on the new tank.
One World Beyonce GIF by Global Citizen

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Thank you for your service!

Glad you joined!

Recommend starting build thread when you are ready. I didn't and now I'm going back historically to document for myself. They give you a badge by your name once you start your build thread (look left by my ID)
You have a very nice set up!! I’ll definitely start a build thread complete with any misadventures. Haha!

OP
OP
uscggirl

uscggirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and thanks for saying Hi!
I almost feel like thanks for your service isn't enough.... you have given your entire life - even as a child - to this country. Just wow. It's not enough but Thank You. The sacrifices of the families of service members are incredibly significant. We are all in your debt.
Godspeed and best wishes on the new tank.
One World Beyonce GIF by Global Citizen
Thank you so much!! It was truly an honor to serve, and that honor of service was what I could feel from so many people as I grew up, so it was bound to be for me as well. Thank you again!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back