Hard, egg looking things on zoa.

ohizzey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard, tiny things all over zoas. They come off as strings when pulled. They do not seem to move at all. Among them was a small grub like animal that was ~2mm in diameter and had a see through body. It looked like a tiny shrimp, I could see two black eyes. Wasn't able to get picture.

Also, red tube-worm looking shell on the right could be related?

P3230347.JPG

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard, tiny things all over zoas. They come off as strings when pulled. They do not seem to move at all. Among them was a small grub like animal that was ~2mm in diameter and had a see through body. It looked like a tiny shrimp, I could see two black eyes. Wasn't able to get picture.

Also, red tube-worm looking shell on the right could be related?

P3230347.JPG
The pic isn’t super clear (if you can get closer up photos of one of each individual thing/species you’re trying to ID, that may help with this), but the tube-worm-looking shell on the right seems to be curled like a typical vermetid snail tube. The hard tiny things look like they could potentially be colonial tunicates (see the quote below for photos to compare against), but I’m not sure. If not tunicates, then closer pics will likely be needed:
Haha, yeah sorry - that's part of why I threw in the TLDR at the bottom there. Here are some photos of colonial tunicates with similar body structure (and some with - from what I can tell - similar coloration) to help decide if it is a colonial tunicate:
1671819041537.png

1671819101942.png

(The two above images are from here: https://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/14/11/977 )

And the link below has a bunch more pics (some are different colonial tunicates like above, some are solitary tunicates):

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back