harlequin shrimp and eels in the same tank

Gwolter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 30 gallon tank and I have a ghost ribbon eel in it so far but I just set up this tank after I sold my other tank and I but all the cycles media into it so it’s cycled. But in my old tank I had two clown fish and a mated pair of harlequin shrimp and I would like to keep them. But I don’t want them to get eaten in the tank with the ghost ribbon eel so I haven’t put them in the new tank yet. They’re still at my LFS and they said it’s like 50/50 if I put them in the tank with eel. The ghost ribbon eel is like 10 inches long and skinny. But the harlequin shrimp are like an inch and a quarter. So I’m nervous to put them in yet. I’ve been feeding the ribbon eel silver sides so he doesn’t get the scent of shrimp in the tank. Ive seen a bunch of videos of people putting ribbon eels with small fish and shrimp on YouTube So I need some other opinions on this idk what to do lol

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,sure glad you asked first!! 3 words ,DON'T DO IT,clowns iffy small tank,nowhere to sleep w safety,harleys snack!!.possible cleaner shrimp as they have symbiotic relation to ,but if eel get hungry :oops: happy reefing :)

OP
OP
G

Gwolter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,sure glad you asked first!! 3 words ,DON'T DO IT,clowns iffy small tank,nowhere to sleep w safety,harleys snack!!.possible cleaner shrimp as they have symbiotic relation to ,but if eel get hungry :oops: happy reefing :)
Okay Thank you I’m going to try a peppermint shrimp first to see how he reacts to having a shrimp and a tank mate and I’ll go from there

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
still def no no ,on harleys move slow will be eaten,sorry jmo :)

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly enough, although moray eels are seen with cleaner shrimps all the time in the wild and they don't seem to harm them at all... when this is done in captivity the moray eel just eats them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back