harlequin tusk in a reef tanks?

guppychao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saw some pics of a Harlequin Tusk in a FOWLR tank, and boy i always wanted one. does anyone have one in there reef tank?

i know they can destroy a reef tank, but not sure if anyone has tried it and gotten away with it?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept one in a reef with no problems at all, besides making a quick meal of a few small anthias I added (my fault, thought he would leave them alone - WRONG!) and not being able to add shrimp. I did have one large cleaner that he left alone though.

With that said, a fellow reefer I know had one that was a menace! It would go around flipping over his chalice and acan frags in an attempt to find small inverts and such. Most definitely a menace in his situation.

I'm yet to hear of one actually eating coral though, and would be surprised to hear it, although anything's possible. I suspect if your mindfull of what you keep with them, and attach all your corals you should be alright.

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its just an aggressive fish that eats inverts excluding coral from my knowledge its purely up to you. I have a Fu man chu lion in my reef no problems what so ever :) They will eat any small fish that fits in their mouth though (that goes for the lion and the tusk) and Tusks get pretty big

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend Shane has had his for about 8 months now and I dont think that he has had any problems what so ever. He even has small Helfrichi fire fish with it. I know that he also has some Harlequin shrimp. Maybe he will chime in.

OP
OP
G

guppychao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder what it would do with acro crabs? tear apart the acro?

i have no shrimp, so no worries there, but bunch of snails and hermits

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back