Harlequin Tusk

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've been searching around the forum at first on info on the Harlequin Tusk and so far, it convinced me to get one. So, I ordered one at my LFS and am now waiting for the shipment. Unfortunately, I started to read more recently and started to see incidents of Harlequin Tusks killing (if not eating) smaller fish. I'm actually getting a large Harlequin Tusk and the small fish I have in my tank are 1 flame hawkfish and 1 maroon clown. I may add in the future a large maroon clown and dwarf angels. What's the consensus on the HT with other fish because so far the opinion's really mixed. The tank is 8'x2'x2' and has angels and tangs predominantly.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Tusk for years and the fish never brothered any fish. I had yellow tail damsels and clowns in the tank. I wouldn’t put shrimp in the aquarium. As long as they are well fed it should be an issue.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
They are a great fish. Mine went in...sulked for 7 days. decided to eat one of my 4 established large cleaner shrimp....he liked it so much he ate the other 3 in 20 hours. He has not touched any of my fish and I have some smaller ones.

He loves clams on the half shell. He destroys food and protects it. He tried to mess with a conch and decided it was too much work. He's been in there now for about 8-9 weeks. Some of my Tangs will mess with him, he'll show his teeth, they have a standoff for 5 seconds and move along. He's an active swimmer and the other fish follow him around most of the day.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HT's are normally not aggressive, but I have seen them kill other wrasses, usually new additions or shortly after their introduction. It's always risky introducing larger specimens direct from the ocean. Usually a stay in an observation tank to get the new kid accustomed to captive living helps tremendously. In all likelihood he will not go after the species you mentioned.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my HT for 3 years. So he does eat all snails, crabs, and clams. He has eaten mollies that were added to the system as well as has attacked smaller gobys. He is very well fed, but is a bit aggressive with smaller fish and inverts.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Tusk for years and the fish never brothered any fish. I had yellow tail damsels and clowns in the tank. I wouldn’t put shrimp in the aquarium. As long as they are well fed it should be an issue.

Well there are no shrimps or CUCs in my tank except for the few turbo snails and nassarius snails that I'm not sure if they're still alive.

My first though is that maroon clowns, hawks, and dwarf angels are all pretty tough customers. I'm sure more tusk owners will chime in.

Here's an older thread from a couple years ago: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anyone-keep-a-harlequin-tusk-in-a-reef-tank.312382/

Good luck.

Yes, I've read that thread and there was a post that claimed that it attacked a dwarf angel. Hopefully it's just an isolated case.

They are a great fish. Mine went in...sulked for 7 days. decided to eat one of my 4 established large cleaner shrimp....he liked it so much he ate the other 3 in 20 hours. He has not touched any of my fish and I have some smaller ones.

He loves clams on the half shell. He destroys food and protects it. He tried to mess with a conch and decided it was too much work. He's been in there now for about 8-9 weeks. Some of my Tangs will mess with him, he'll show his teeth, they have a standoff for 5 seconds and move along. He's an active swimmer and the other fish follow him around most of the day.
Yes, they're very gorgeous and would do well as a showpiece wrasse!

HT's are normally not aggressive, but I have seen them kill other wrasses, usually new additions or shortly after their introduction. It's always risky introducing larger specimens direct from the ocean. Usually a stay in an observation tank to get the new kid accustomed to captive living helps tremendously. In all likelihood he will not go after the species you mentioned.
How large? The specimen I would be getting is around 5" and I believe in adult coloration already. And so far, the LFS has shown me a video from the supplier that the HT is already eating. Although, hopefully that's the exact same HT I'm getting.

I have had my HT for 3 years. So he does eat all snails, crabs, and clams. He has eaten mollies that were added to the system as well as has attacked smaller gobys. He is very well fed, but is a bit aggressive with smaller fish and inverts.
Do they bully the small fish until death? Hopefully just a show of force and not really with an intent of killing.

Thank you for the replies everyone! Apologies for the late response as I've been quite busy.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they bully the small fish until death? Hopefully just a show of force and not really with an intent of killing.

Thank you for the replies everyone! Apologies for the late response as I've been quite busy.

Short episodes of excessive force that sometimes kills the fish, but have never seen constant bullying. Typically it is only targeted at fish that it could eat or were sleeping in its cave.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short episodes of excessive force that sometimes kills the fish, but have never seen constant bullying. Typically it is only targeted at fish that it could eat or were sleeping in its cave.

I'll bear that in mind, hopefully he doesn't use too much to cause anyone's death

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Just a quick question, does the HT handle Prazipro well? It's hard to get a hand on GC so what I only have on hand is Prazipro.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my experience has been fine. You,'ll want to add seachem metroplex as well, that will cover most parasites today. GC is actually a combo of prazi and metro.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to keep him well fed. They rather eat what you feed them rather than hunt. Once the fish or shrimp establish they will be fine. I feed my Tusk daily if not every other day.
Dazed fish that just get added to the tank is another mater. If you add a small fish, if you don't take steps, that fish won't last 15 seconds.
I wait until my Tusk go to ed before I add new small fish. I also use acclimation box and just remove the door to release the fish. If you add bite size fish or shrimp like this they will be fine, otherwise they won't be.
Harlequin Turk, especially the Australian are beautiful . I never have a tank (larger size tank of course) without one.
HarlequinTusk2016080801.jpg
HarlequinTusk2020032201.jpg
HarlequinTusk2016042801.jpg
HarlequinTusk2016051501.jpg

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my experience has been fine. You,'ll want to add seachem metroplex as well, that will cover most parasites today. GC is actually a combo of prazi and metro.

I think I have some Metroplex and Focus lying around here somewhere, but in any case, they're readily available so ordering them won't be a pain.

You need to keep him well fed. They rather eat what you feed them rather than hunt. Once the fish or shrimp establish they will be fine. I feed my Tusk daily if not every other day.
Dazed fish that just get added to the tank is another mater. If you add a small fish, if you don't take steps, that fish won't last 15 seconds.
I wait until my Tusk go to ed before I add new small fish. I also use acclimation box and just remove the door to release the fish. If you add bite size fish or shrimp like this they will be fine, otherwise they won't be.
Harlequin Turk, especially the Australian are beautiful . I never have a tank (larger size tank of course) without one.
HarlequinTusk2016080801.jpg
HarlequinTusk2020032201.jpg
HarlequinTusk2016042801.jpg
HarlequinTusk2016051501.jpg

That HT looks gorgeous! And yes, I'm getting an Aussie one as well. I'll make sure that the new fish are added at night.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back