Has anyone ever used Brightwell’s Alkalin 8.3-P?

JSully_94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

Recently, I’ve been having some issues maintaining ideal alkalinity levels in my aquarium. Lately my numbers have been trending on the lower side of the scale (7.0 - 7.8 dKH).

Two-part isn’t really working out for me anymore as I’m getting excessive calcium carbonate precipitation and it’s causing my pumps to stop working. I believe this is due to the large dosing requirement needed for my SPS corals. Instead of increasing the dosage amount of my two-part, I’ve recently switched to kalkwasser and Tropic Marin’s All for Reef. So far my numbers have stabilized but my alkalinity is lower than ideal. I’ve maxed out on the amount of All for Reef I can add to my system based on the product’s dosing instructions. I need to add another source of alkalinity and I have stumbled upon Alkalin 8.3-P. I can’t seem to find many reviews for this product. Has anyone used it before? If so, what are your thoughts?

My goal is to increase alkalinity with minimal impact on my other parameters.
Link to Brightwell’s Alkalin 8.3-P: https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/alkalin83pt.php

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many issues here.

1. There is no magic max dose of AFR. If you need more based on long term testing, dose more. The max is set quite low.

2. If you want less precipitation, switch to a lower pH two part, such as a DIY using baking soda, or ESV B-ionic Bicarbonate (if they still sell it) or other low pH two parts.

3. The product from Brightwell is not as good as baking soda if the goal is to reduce precipitation. Don't be fooled by the misleading pH claims for it.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many issues here.

1. There is no magic max dose of AFR. If you need more based on long term testing, dose more. The max is set quite low.

2. If you want less precipitation, switch to a lower pH two part, such as a DIY using baking soda, or ESV B-ionic Bicarbonate (if they still sell it) or other low pH two parts.

3. The product from Brightwell is not as good as baking soda if the goal is to reduce precipitation. Don't be fooled by the misleading pH claims for it.
Was thinking of going to Brightwell alk8.3 as well. So you’re saying it doesn’t increase the ph any more than other 2 parts? It was either using this or essentials pro 2 part for my new 250gal tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking of going to Brightwell alk8.3 as well. So you’re saying it doesn’t increase the ph any more than other 2 parts? It was either using this or essentials pro 2 part for my new 250gal tank.

I'm saying with 100% certainty that it raises pH LESS than any two part that uses only sodium carbonate or sodium hydroxide as the alk part.

A product like 8.3 (if made as they claim) is a mix of mostly bicarbonate and a little carbonate, to match the ratio of bicarbonate and carbonate at pH 8.3 in seawater. Bicarbonate lowers pH and carbonate raises it, and that mix is designed to exactly offset each other at pH 8.3 in seawater.

At any pH lower than 8.3, it will tend to raise pH, but less so than pure carbonate (or hydroxide) products, and at any pH above 8.3, it tends to lower pH.

As to the ATI essentials Pro, I am not certain of its composition. I'd guess it is carboante based, but it may not be. You migth ask them or perhaps others readers know.

FWIW, there are not many scenarios in real reef tanks where I think Brightwell 8.3 is an optimal choice, even ignoring the cost issue.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm saying with 100% certainty that it raises pH LESS than any two part that uses only sodium carbonate or sodium hydroxide as the alk part.

A product like 8.3 (if made as they claim) is a mix of mostly bicarbonate and a little carbonate, to match the ratio of bicarbonate and carbonate at pH 8.3 in seawater. Bicarbonate lowers pH and carbonate raises it, and that mix is designed to exactly offset each other at pH 8.3 in seawater.

At any pH lower than 8.3, it will tend to raise pH, but less so than pure carbonate (or hydroxide) products, and at any pH above 8.3, it tends to lower pH.

As to the ATI essentials Pro, I am not certain of its composition. I'd guess it is carboante based, but it may not be. You migth ask them or perhaps others readers know.

FWIW, there are not many scenarios in real reef tanks where I think Brightwell 8.3 is an optimal choice, even ignoring the cost issue.

Much appreciated! Pretty sure it's organic, like AFR.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated! Pretty sure it's organic, like AFR.

Oh, yes, I remember now. we had a dispute with ATI North America about its composition that got resolved by ATI Europe who indicated that it had both organic and inorganic alk components.

It’s impossible to compare that for pH effect to the 8.3 without some careful studies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back