Has anyone experienced a broken cabinet?

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I have a 240L tank. 4 ft Aqua one with the cabinet that was designed for it but I can't stop worrying that the cabinet can't hold such a heavy weight and terrified it'll crack, break or collapse. Has anyone ever had such bad luck? I have nothing to worry about? The cabinet actually dislodged on 1 side during moving. It was drilled back together with brackets added. I'm worried it's weakened the stand. I may replace it.

16913531308722355916205996961694.jpg 1691353172558411084170235917998.jpg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say from the pictures.

I looked up the cabinet. They don't say what it's made of at all. It looks like laminate particle board. If that's the case (I am not promising that it is) I'd look for replacement options soon.

If it's metal I would pull my joints together with brackets, nuts and bolts like you have.

If it's plywood, real plywood, screws and glue. Clamp it for 24 hrs while the glue sets. (A ratchet strap tie down like you would use to secure a load on a truck works great for this.)

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the door pulling away? I'm not sure with the pictures. If it is and it's laminated particle board which from the pictures looks like it is. The stuff strips out. If the holes are stripped the cabinet is fine the doors don't do anything for support. You can take doll rod glued it in the hole and put the screws back it'll be good as new, if you have toothpicks throw this in and it'll do the same thing. Particle board cabinet doors always have the hinge failure if they're used often and looks like you have fuge and open it often.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the door pulling away? I'm not sure with the pictures. If it is and it's laminated particle board which from the pictures looks like it is. The stuff strips out. If the holes are stripped the cabinet is fine the doors don't do anything for support. You can take doll rod glued it in the hole and put the screws back it'll be good as new, if you have toothpicks throw this in and it'll do the same thing. Particle board cabinet doors always have the hinge failure if they're used often and looks like you have fuge and open it often.
Particle board should never be used in a wet environment. Never ever ever. Once glued, the area just beyond the glue becomes the weakest point. If it's begining to fail due to water intrusion, it's a disaster waiting to happen no matter what. If it's the doors from use, I'd worry about the rest of the stand. If I lived in Australia I'd build this cabinet in 2 days with birch ply for under $100 USD (not sure about the exchange rate.)

OP
OP
vienna

vienna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. It was built by Aqua One. I think I'll email them to dbl check the quality of these cabinets, it's a worry for a reason.

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed personally I wouldn't by particle board cabinets in a dry environment. But they're cheap and look pretty before it starts to fail and it will usually within a few years. Plywood cabinets are much better and you'll get a much longer life out of them!

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Particle board should never be used in a wet environment. Never ever ever. Once glued, the area just beyond the glue becomes the weakest point. If it's begining to fail due to water intrusion, it's a disaster waiting to happen no matter what. If it's the doors from use, I'd worry about the rest of the stand. If I lived in Australia I'd build this cabinet in 2 days with birch ply for under $100 USD (not sure about the exchange rate.)
Aren't all red sea tanks just made from particle board too? Wouldn't take a aqua one if they gave it to me, rather go to a tank builder. Ply is just as bad, and marine ply you can't afford, more like 200 bucks a sheet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi.
I have a 240L tank. 4 ft Aqua one with the cabinet that was designed for it but I can't stop worrying that the cabinet can't hold such a heavy weight and terrified it'll crack, break or collapse. Has anyone ever had such bad luck? I have nothing to worry about? The cabinet actually dislodged on 1 side during moving. It was drilled back together with brackets added. I'm worried it's weakened the stand. I may replace it.

16913531308722355916205996961694.jpg 1691353172558411084170235917998.jpg
Brace it as I did with mine adding 2x4" every 24"

400garrivalc.jpg

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The particle board issue is with screws if it used right it's OK. Pre-drilling then screwing to a real piece of wood like a 2x2 corner will last a very long time. Screwing straight to as with door hinges NFG. Cabinet door hinges can't handle the constant opening and closing. The screws strip the particle board and the door sags like in his picture. That's why I prefer plywood base is fine should never see enough moisture to rot if you do there's bigger problems for a cover like on my custom built tank and stand and lid. Meh the inside has seen better days the base has only seen the oh sh$/ moments of moisture. It looks great after 18 years.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't all red sea tanks just made from particle board too? Wouldn't take a aqua one if they gave it to me, rather go to a tank builder. Ply is just as bad, and marine ply you can't afford, more like 200 bucks a sheet.
Regular ply will do if you build and seal correctly. I use total boat amber varnish. It's intended for saltwater and UV protection of non submerged woods. But marine ply is reasonable and easy to find where I am. It's just not as pretty.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this cabinet was made with yacht plywood. No? I swore that was in the marketing
I've not ever seen an aqua one tank or stand in person. But judging by that picture and what I saw online, they are using particle board. At least in some of their stands. The stuff in this picture looks like laminated particle. Hard to say though. Even after looking up the specific stand, it doesn't say on their information sheets what it's made of.

Maybe they laminated marine grade ply impossible to say. But the damage described sounds like particle problems. Still impossible to say.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back