Has anyone made their own fake plants?

Letitluce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I know fake plants are shamed in the reef hobby, but I'm wanting to look into making my own fake plants to create a tall, planted feel for my green spotted puffer. I have store bought ones at the moment and hate how they look
So: what fabrics are long-term reef safe?
What sealants if any would suit this?

I'd love to hear from anybody who has tried this before.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning.
Fake plants have really gotten a bad rap for sure. I like fugu. Let me know if you ever need a fish sitter. I think your fish will be happier without fake plants but it might eat plastic ones, which could negatively impact your fishes gut tract.
Please order some live rock from Florida and put a good amount of light on the tank to grow real plants that you will loved!

Hth.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Lets Go Dancing GIF by Tennis TV

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS has a huge bow front tank with fake plants that's saltwater. First time I saw it I really questioned my understanding of this hobby because I swear I saw a fox face in a freshwater aquarium. But then I saw two clowns and asked if the plants are fake, and they said yes. There are some really good fake plants out there.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Don't see many reefers from across the ditch (perhaps because most of you have already moved to Bondi? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:).

I'd say almost any fabric would be reef safe, I'd tend towards synthetic fabrics. If you need some rigidity, nylon would probably be a good option as it will give a good combination of flexible and rigid. I don't think any sealants would be necessary.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back