Has anyone that pre-ordered seen their ION Director yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, GHL does not have any replacement sensors on hand and my ION-D has been down since the first week of June. Has anyone had any luck getting their bad sensor to work. I'm a GHL nut and I think I should have waited to buy the ION-D. The sensor only has a 3 month warranty and every month the unit is not being used is counting down on the overall warranty on the unit. Has any one with a defective sensor had their overall warranty extended?
Wouldn't you be under warranty now since it's not been working since June and length of time to get replacement therefore irrelevant?

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you be under warranty now since it's not been working since June and length of time to get replacement therefore irrelevant?
Yes the existing one is under warranty, however, I am concerned that the replacement sensor might not last the 3 months and because it was a warranty claim, it might not be under warranty and I would then have to shell out $140 for a new sensor. I just don't want to keep replacing a sensor due to premature failure. Check out the warranty for the ION D sensor. https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/iond-sensor-manual-and-limited-warranty/
But the ION D unit is sitting idle and the warranty is ticking away. It might take another 3 months for them to get it figured out and delivered. I would rather wait for the bugs to get worked out. That's why I was hoping they would extend the warranty for the ION D unit. The ION D has a two year warranty and I have almost lost 3 months due to it being out of service. Depending on when the replacement sensor gets delivered, I could loose another 3 months. I'm confident that when the figure out the weak link, it will be a solid piece of equipment.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the existing one is under warranty, however, I am concerned that the replacement sensor might not last the 3 months and because it was a warranty claim, it might not be under warranty and I would then have to shell out $140 for a new sensor. I just don't want to keep replacing a sensor due to premature failure. Check out the warranty for the ION D sensor. https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/iond-sensor-manual-and-limited-warranty/
But the ION D unit is sitting idle and the warranty is ticking away. It might take another 3 months for them to get it figured out and delivered. I would rather wait for the bugs to get worked out. That's why I was hoping they would extend the warranty for the ION D unit. The ION D has a two year warranty and I have almost lost 3 months due to it being out of service. Depending on when the replacement sensor gets delivered, I could loose another 3 months. I'm confident that when the figure out the weak link, it will be a solid piece of equipment.
Reputable company having launch issues and wanting to be around past this launch might consider extending warranty until they resolve getting their probes to work. Might also consider sending out some freebie consolidation prizes for early adopters that have experienced their growing pains because apparently they didn't put this through proper testing before launching.

Luckily for me I'm a couple of years out before needing this type of solution and hope they get it worked out since it appears to be the most appealing but who knows what another will produce by then.

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been said by GHL on many occasions that they will replace IonD sensors if they fail before 6 months.

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked GHL if they would extend the warranty and they directed me to the ION D sensor warranty page. I know sometimes companies take care of you on a case by case, and was just wondering if anyone has had any extensions of their warranty. Vinny said they will make it right and he has been a great resource.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they Kidding !!!
THREE MONTHS WARRANTY !!!
You can get a longer warranty on a box of Crackers than you can get on a $140 probe. So he basically realizes the probe will crap out in 4 months and has given up on delivering the 12-18 Months he promised.

For those of you who are holding out based on some kind of in for a penny in for a pound mentality I suggest you do the Math.

Putting aside the fact that this thing drinks down calibration fluid faster than a bunch of Soccer Fans guzzling down beer in a Pub. You also have to contend with at least 3 probe changes a year. That is $420 plus tax & shipping, that is probably going to be $500 a year just for probes!

No wonder the original Beta Testers are still silent. They are probably still getting free probes and don't want to rock the boat and who can blame them.

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they Kidding !!!
THREE MONTHS WARRANTY !!!
You can get a longer warranty on the freshness of a box of Crackers than you can get on a $140 probe. So he basically realizes the probe will crap out in 4 months and has given up on delivering the 12-18 Months he promised.

For those of you who are holding out based on some kind of in for a penny in for a pound mentality I suggest you do the Math.

Putting aside the fact that this thing drinks down calibration fluid faster than a bunch of Soccer Fans guzzle down beer in a Pub. You also have to contend with at least 3 probe changes a year. That is $420 plus tax & shipping, that is probably going to be $500 a year just for probes!

No wonder the original Beta Testers are still silent. They are probably still getting free probes and don't want to rock the boat and who can blame them.
The whole concept is flawed.

Just get a Mastertronic.

Oiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a big supporter of GHL for the last years. My tip for any one who has pre-ordered IOND or is considering GHL is to get the money back. Most of the products are good quality, but the UI is outdated, app is not that great. The thing that bugs me the most is how many times I can't connect to either my Profilux or Doser during the day.

I have a few costumers who have bought the IOND and every one has had issues with it being unreliable. And the costumer service (In Europe) is terrible, I have to wait over a week to get respons, and not just once, but every time I have an issue. Other companies will get back to you in a day or two. We stopped carrying GHL just due to the terrible costumer service, and I urge every one considering GHL to go with another brand.

Loads of people are selling the IOND here, for under the dealer prices just to get this paper weight to some unlucky guy.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been a big supporter of GHL for the last years. My tip for any one who has pre-ordered IOND or is considering GHL is to get the money back. Most of the products are good quality, but the UI is outdated, app is not that great. The thing that bugs me the most is how many times I can't connect to either my Profilux or Doser during the day.

I have a few costumers who have bought the IOND and every one has had issues with it being unreliable. And the costumer service (In Europe) is terrible, I have to wait over a week to get respons, and not just once, but every time I have an issue. Other companies will get back to you in a day or two. We stopped carrying GHL just due to the terrible costumer service, and I urge every one considering GHL to go with another brand.

Loads of people are selling the IOND here, for under the dealer prices just to get this paper weight to some unlucky guy.
Wow, thanks for sharing!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not condemn the whole product line based on the iOND but I agree they need to stop playing games and cut their loses with it.

As for the user display, it is always great to have a user friendly UI but the reliability factor is much more important than the UI. Given the choice between the Profilux and Apex, I would go with the Profilux every time just because it does works once it is setup and setup is typically a one shot deal with pain that I can endure.

There is nothing worst than a controller that has reliability issues in it's core operation. IMHO that makes it useless as you never know when something will go wrong with it and kill your tank.

Oiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not condemn the whole product line based on the iOND but I agree they need to stop playing games and cut their loses with it.

As for the user display, it is always great to have a user friendly UI but the reliability factor is much more important than the UI. Given the choice between the Profilux and Apex, I would go with the Profilux every time just because it does works once it is setup and setup is typically a one shot deal with pain that I can endure.

There is nothing worst than a controller that has reliability issues in it's core operation. IMHO that makes it useless as you never know when something will go wrong with it and kill your tank.
I am not due to the IOND, i have the whole lineup. KHD, Powerbar, Dosers and so on. What i have problems with is when they break or have issues. And you have to wait weeks to get things resolved.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not due to the IOND, i have the whole lineup. KHD, Powerbar, Dosers and so on. What i have problems with is when they break or have issues. And you have to wait weeks to get things resolved.
Sorry to hear about this and the IOND issues that seem to be surfacing. I recall prior posts saying GHL (being German) cared about quality over schedules so quit the North American whining and be patient, it’ll be a solid product when it comes. This news isn’t helping either of those I’m sure.

I’ve heard parts are hard to come by also, so there must still be supply issues

Oiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this and the IOND issues that seem to be surfacing. I recall prior posts saying GHL (being German) cared about quality over schedules so quit the North American whining and be patient, it’ll be a solid product when it comes. This news isn’t helping either of those I’m sure.

I’ve heard parts are hard to come by also, so there must still be supply issues
I was one of those. I am happy with how the KHD is working, i was sure GHL would creat a great product with the IOND.

looking at the the other brands, you have similar products that work as great, easier to setup. And have great service.

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my refund today. If the thing is years behind schedule I have my doubts about it’s quality.

Also GHL have frankly, been awful with their support. Often I’ve been waiting weeks for a reply and then they have a poor attitude and little empathy when they do.

My PF4 is now playing up, my touch screen doesn’t work anymore and my maxi doser pump keeps splitting the compression tubing.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got my refund today. If the thing is years behind schedule I have my doubts about it’s quality.

Also GHL have frankly, been awful with their support. Often I’ve been waiting weeks for a reply and then they have a poor attitude and little empathy when they do.

My PF4 is now playing up, my touch screen doesn’t work anymore and my maxi doser pump keeps splitting the compression tubing.
Glad you were able to get your money back after two years! What do you use as a working alternative for testing?

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you were able to get your money back after two years! What do you use as a working alternative for testing?

They really don’t have a choice to give me my money back. I paid for something I didn’t receive. My credit card would cancel the transaction in a moment.

Honestly regarding testing I have an KH Director that monitors alkalinity and then I do a monthly ICP test. Fauna Marin are like £25 per test and if you buy 3 you get one free. It’s a far more accurate and affordable option each month.

Ca and Mg don’t swing too much for me month to month.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really don’t have a choice to give me my money back. I paid for something I didn’t receive. My credit card would cancel the transaction in a moment.
That is probably not accurate. Most CC will not refund after a period of 1 year. Check the Bank, they all have time limits on cancellations.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back