ION Director News!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking poor lifetime reports for the NEW in-house designed/built probes? That would be disappointing of that were the case, but I have not seen any reports whatsoever to that effect.

I would be curious as to what the life expectancy is supposed to be. Part of me can't wait to have one of these, but at the same time I fear a product that has to be re-calibrated weekly or whatever and costs a fortune to run. I look forward to feedback on the "new" probes and shipping devices and am relying on Matthias' positive comments above.

Only the original probes and not by all users, just some.

I’ve not come across anyone who’s had the new probes delivered yet and any thread on the GHL forum asking for general updates has since been deleted, which is somewhat frustrating.

The IonD calibrates itself automatically before each test BTW. The fluids it uses are not reagents, but reference/calibration solutions

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can call the stuff in the bottles anything they want, expensive still applies.
LOL, I agree. Reagents or reference solutions, who cares. I’m eager to see what the average refill periods are to get an idea of annual costs. I only had one person’s input for the initial estimate above.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can call the stuff in the bottles anything they want, expensive still applies.

I remember saying the exact same thing in another ionD thread.

LOL, I agree. Reagents or reference solutions, who cares. I’m eager to see what the average refill periods are to get an idea of annual costs. I only had one person’s input for the initial estimate above.

I answered in response to a question on having to calibrate weekly. Any device needs calibration, especially when the sensor is exposed to the sample.

GHL have given costs based on number of tests per day previously IIRC. A search would likely find it, although inflation will have certainly increased costs since this was calculated

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL have given costs based on number of tests per day previously IIRC. A search would likely find it, although inflation will have certainly increased costs since this was calculated

I think the question being pondered here is if the past calculations apply to the new probe.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the post linked above, it sure looks like consumables will be close to $1.25 a test For just A and B.

That is not amortizing the $1K entry fee, multi reference for calibration or probe replacements.

If the numbers are realistic, 1 test per day for 3 years is… well north of $2.25 per test. I actually may have just talked myself out of even considering one of these, as even $1 per test (every day) feels kind of crazy.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Given the post linked above, it sure looks like consumables will be close to $1.25 a test For just A and B.

That is not amortizing the $1K entry fee, multi reference for calibration or probe replacements.

If the numbers are realistic, 1 test per day for 3 years is… well north of $2.25 per test. I actually may have just talked myself out of even considering one of these, as even $1 per test (every day) feels kind of crazy.
Since I only had one data point, I am in a wait-and-see mode for more user data. We are now in July and was hoping we’d be getting that data in January based on the exciting news received in December. Oh well

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered ION Director 11 moths ago at bigshowfrags.ca.

When I'll receive it??? If I knew, I'll go with trident route. I buy profilux, two dosers, kh director and Ion director. A lot of money and my system is incomplete for 11 months!!!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered ION Director 11 moths ago at bigshowfrags.ca.

When I'll receive it??? If I knew, I'll go with trident route. I buy profilux, two dosers, kh director and Ion director. A lot of money and my system is incomplete for 11 months!!!

It is incomplete? Sounds like you have a lot of components that work and do not require the ION. Also you can request a refund.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is incomplete? Sounds like you have a lot of components that work and do not require the ION. Also you can request a refund.
Yes, incomplete. I spend a lot of money and can test only the Alk.

Refund for what? Nobody will refund me kh director, profilux and two dosers... I want a complete system with ion director present and working, I'll pay for everything to do that.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, incomplete. I spend a lot of money and can test only the Alk.

Refund for what? Nobody will refund me kh director, profilux and two dosers... I want a complete system with ion director present and working, I'll pay for everything to do that.

You have everything but the ION. Request the refund for the ION if you don't want to wait. Otherwise cool down and wait like everyone else who is on the list.

The way I see it you knew what was in store when you put down the deposit. Delays - life happens and no one died. Move on.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it you knew what was in store when you put down the deposit. Delays - life happens and no one died. Move on.
I don't think anyone thought this was going to be the outcome of a pre order. Waiting 4 years shouldn't be acceptable by anyone's standards.

I get the frustration of being on the side of "just be patient" and reading complaint after complaint and trying to bite your tongeu. What I don't understand is why people feel the need to defend a company that they have 0 stock in other than they bought into the boutique plarform.

Why does our investment force us to overlook the obvious and compel us to defend a company that has undoubtedly mishandled the situation?

I think 1 year was a reasonable time to expect results, rolling out videos of a circuit board moving through pick and place machine and someone in mock up clean environment shouldn't put anyone at ease, nor should it be a substitute for an explanation.

Bottom line: it is what it is. But to discredit someone's frustration by telling them to move on isn't the best approach.

The only negative I see here, is when people defend a company that clearly shouldn't be defended, it sends a message that they're above reproach. And that shouldn't be the norm.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone thought this was going to be the outcome of a pre order. Waiting 4 years shouldn't be acceptable by anyone's standards.

I understand. But one can get a refund from their deposit unless that has changed.

I get the frustration of being on the side of "just be patient" and reading complaint after complaint and trying to bite your tongeu. What I don't understand is why people feel the need to defend a company that they have 0 stock in other than they bought into the boutique plarform.

Not sure. I'm not defending but then again I'm not waiting for one. My point of view is that complaining about it isn't going to do anything at all. Just make one more frustrated. Control what you can which would be the deposit.

Why does our investment force us to overlook the obvious and compel us to defend a company that has undoubtedly mishandled the situation?

I think the bigger question would be why ask for a deposit or pre-sale knowing these problems may arise? Mindstream anyone?

Bottom line: it is what it is. But to discredit someone's frustration by telling them to move on isn't the best approach.

And posting about frustrations is helping? From the post it sounds like they have a complete system and not just able to implement the full battery of testing the ION brings. Is that one piece going to make a difference? If so then how did we successfully keep reefs 10 or 20 years ago?

The only negative I see here, is when people defend a company that clearly shouldn't be defended, it sends a message that they're above reproach. And that shouldn't be the norm.

To be clear I hear what you are saying. And being truthful I would agree. I also am of the opinion that posting about frustrations when it is outside anyone's control is a moot point. More so when one can simply ask for a refund should they so choose.

I'll go a step further. Fellow hobbyist should consider what post they reply to and how it is done so there is no perception of one being above reproach. If I get the drift of your reply although not directed at me, or maybe it was, I hear what you are saying.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont uderstand why do you talk about refund. I bought the complete ecosystem, with profilux, dosers, kh director. If I knew about ion director disponibility, I'd go with the competitors product and bought their ecosystem.

If GHL will refund me for kh director, profilux, two dosers and ion director - it's another thing. I'll take those moneys and bought another product.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont uderstand why do you talk about refund. I bought the complete ecosystem, with profilux, dosers, kh director. If I knew about ion director disponibility, I'd go with the competitors product and bought their ecosystem.
Sounds like you purchased a whole package in which they included the ION. Those already in the ecosystem placed a deposit after.

If GHL will refund me for kh director, profilux, two dosers and ion director - it's another thing. I'll take those moneys and bought another product.

GHL is the only manufacture that we know of, in progress, using the probe technology.

Saith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you BurgerFish, it is frustrating when a company keeps delaying, whether it's because they are making improvements or due to supply issues. Last week marked 2 years since I pre-ordered mine. For me, the ION D was one of the deciding factors with going the GHL route.

As someone who is pretty much locked into their ecosystem, it wouldn't make sense to take the refund for the IOND at the cost of loosing what, in my opinion, is a major function of their system. I feel you have every right to be frustrated and post about it.

It might be worth counting your losses and going with another company. Based on their response of when people can start ordering again, it doesn't seem like they know when they are going to catch up.

Kenny311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new updates? Any feedback from anyone that has received new sensors?

timry2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On July 13, Vinny advised me that the shipment to the US was delayed and will be shipping 1 week from today. Which would be the 20th. I’m still waiting on a replacement probe too. I hope they are able to get the IonD out again without any additional problems.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back