ION Director News!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my IonD with 2 new probes in Jan. I haven’t done anything with them yet as they’ll be going on the new system.
Huh!
Does that mean that all the people who have non working units that needed a probe have gotten one?
Also why would you buy probes and put them down? Do they hold up well in storage?

mrtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question for GHL:
Can you provide an approximate date, week, month when it will be possible to order ION Director in Europe?
Thanks

PetitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I am going to provide an update regarding the ION director and the new probe i received at the end of december and the replacement to this one i received in march.
you see where i am going with this.

I did receive the new probe (that i had to pay 100€ even if the original one didn't work more than a few weeks).
The new probe works well and I had reading everyday with consistent result. so I thought that all was going well even if i was a bit worried that GHL only warranty the new probe for 3 month instead of 6 month. refering to it as consumable.

Well, it didn't even lasted 3 month and error result started to appear after only two month of use.

I contacted GHL support to explain the issue and get a replacement probe, that i received about a month later.

I installed the replacement probe (being the third one) and it worked for about a week before showing incorrect result. and this after i purchase brand new reference fluid 1 and 2 as i thought it could be the cause.

so once again i contacted GHL support to explain the issue and see what we can do as i think the concept is amazing and want to help make it work and solve reliability issue.

Got an answer from GHL owner @Matthias Gross

1720605536220.png

1720604792600.png

3 month pass, so no warranty (does waiting a month to received a replacement count as warranty?) and since then there is no more communication from GHL support.

Needless to say that I am utterly disappointed by GHL and how the train wreck of the ION director have been managed.
I trully feel that i paid for a prototype and not a product and all the development error is being supported by the consumers to end up with a non usable product.

I am looking at opening a consumer disput case in Germany with GHL regarding the ION director as I don't believe that it have been sold in good faith and I am looking at every ion director user in the same situation to possibly open a class action to get full reimbursement.

I have no trust in this company anymore and their reputation is forever tainted for me.
I am going to sell every GHL product i own as I don't want to have anything to do with them anymore.

please reach out to me by email [email protected]

cheers,
Petitreef

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your disappointment. Unfortunately there are a few customers who think that they get life long free replacements of IOND sensor when they already got other free replacements. A limited warranty does not start fresh with a free replacement.

PetitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the probe were working we didn't had to ask for replacement.
Your ION director probe DO NOT WORK more than a few weeks.

i had the experience three time already, and two time with the new "improved" one.

as a reminder, the probe was warranty 6 month when i bought the ion director, you changed this to 3 month for the improved one and it doesn't even lasted that long.

sae74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already wrote - this is a scam with a ION director probe!!!

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not going to argue about support cases in the public. Only that said:
1. when properly used the sensor works at least 3 months
2. all customers get their replacements in the agreed and at that time valid warranty period

PetitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to have a better idea of the average lenght of usage of the ION director sensor.

I am asking the community here owner of a ion director, how many test (or day if it automatically tested daily) the sensor did correctly before showing the error bad sensor?

if possible with a graph from myGHL

here mine:
First test with new sensor on Dec 29 2023
last valid test on Feb 18 2024

total 51 days

warranty replacement received mid march and replaced on March 29th
Stopped working completely in April 7th. have not worked since.

total 9 days

overall both sensor worked a total of 60 days

1720622423078.png

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like the point GHL is making is that the warranty only applies to 1 replacement. And if the replacement only works for 1 day, then you're on your own. They don't warranty the replacement at all.

I'm not suggesting that they knowingly send faulty replacements as a means to rid themselves of one's that didn't pass the QT process. It just sounds like there are known issues with these consumable probes and you get what you get.

Try as you may, one thing that you won't get them to admit is how they had to pivot on their promises as reality sat in.

Keep in mind GHL is a boutique company and this unit may very well be the bane of their longevity.

No matter how you look at it, this situation is very unfortunate for the consumers as well as the company.

Ask yourself this. If consumers are constantly demanding replacement probes which results in the company operating in the red and eventually go out of business, what are you going to do with the GHL equipment you already own that now doesn't work except as a paper weight?

I'm not saying you should give them a pass, but stop throwing good money at bad, cut your losses.

Put yourself in their shoes, if you recalled and discontinued ion director, the company might very well go out of business, but if you limp along trying to make bad tech good, keeping consumers in the dark at least you're still in the game.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back