HAVE YOU RESENTLY PURCHASED BLONDE NASO TANG?

Bought blonde naso tang? Did fish survived?

• Total voters

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few years I have been seeing naso tangs with pinched bellies. I’ve tried to medicate them for worms but they never survive for very long. I have not been able to keep one for over 10 years because everyone I see around me have been suffering from this weird pinched belly issue.
Not always worms. Any parasite can keep fish from not eating enough.
I have seen many with pinched belly’s also. Full qt they eat like hogs and put on weight. We can’t save them all but we can try

Tazman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 9 inch Naso Blonde Male on July 9th. So far its doing fine eating mostly pellets and at least a nori sheet a day. It's the only fish in the tank that is not taking frozen food.

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 9 inch Naso Blonde Male on July 9th. So far its doing fine eating mostly pellets and at least a nori sheet a day. It's the only fish in the tank that is not taking frozen food.
From who did you get it from?

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... thought Id give it another try, made another order, didn't even make it alive from shipping. Also quality wise, this fish looked very thin. Something tells me this fish wasent eating from vendors tank.
20230816_180631.jpg
20230816_180659.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see.

It does look thin. It is also pretty large - those large Nasos just don't ship well.

Could it have been double bounced? That's when an importer brings a fish into the US and then ships it out to a customer a day or two later - that is really rough on fish.

Jay

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see.

It does look thin. It is also pretty large - those large Nasos just don't ship well.

Could it have been double bounced? That's when an importer brings a fish into the US and then ships it out to a customer a day or two later - that is really rough on fish.

Jay
that I have no information on, and since I'm trying to get refund/credit, i wont mention name of the vendor. but its popular vendor that has being around.

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well... thought Id give it another try, made another order, didn't even make it alive from shipping. Also quality wise, this fish looked very thin. Something tells me this fish wasent eating from vendors tank.
20230816_180631.jpg
20230816_180659.jpg
I had to do a doubletake there. I thought you grilled it and put in on a plate. :downcast-face-with-sweat:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the past 1.5 years I have purchased 17 blonde and regular naso to finally have 2 pairs 4 total that made it. My systems are 450 and 300 gallons. Running 10 years and 6 years. They would die within a week of getting them. Usually did not eat from day 1 or barely picked at food and spit out. They were all very very shy even in my large tanks. After setting up auto feeders that was going off every hour and I would not go by the tank for days they seem to settle in and start to live. Now I have 2 pair of 1 blonde and 1 regular in both my systems. This is the first time I ever told anyone this because I felt so bad for the fish but had a good feeling it was not something I was doing because all my other fish are happy and healthy otherwise

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the past 1.5 years I have purchased 17 blonde and regular naso to finally have 2 pairs 4 total that made it. My systems are 450 and 300 gallons. Running 10 years and 6 years. They would die within a week of getting them. Usually did not eat from day 1 or barely picked at food and spit out. They were all very very shy even in my large tanks. After setting up auto feeders that was going off every hour and I would not go by the tank for days they seem to settle in and start to live. Now I have 2 pair of 1 blonde and 1 regular in both my systems. This is the first time I ever told anyone this because I felt so bad for the fish but had a good feeling it was not something I was doing because all my other fish are happy and healthy otherwise
Thank you for sharing your story,wow 17 of them!!!
...I have to go with x large size, because I already have 7 tangs in my 400g tank.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I have to go with x large size, because I already have 7 tangs in my 400g tank.
What are the 7 tangs you got and what are their sizes?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17 Xl would have cost me my house lol I have been buying medium size about 4 inch. I pick them myself and they seem fine at the store without pinched belly then within a day or so they look thin to me. My tanks are very peaceful Ive been lucky with almost 0 aggression from any of my fish. Sometimes purple tang is jerk but rarely.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you had some guaranteed coverage

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen some stupid prices on these blondes I can’t imagine how much the Xl are 350$ plus I’m sure

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an aquarium maintenance business, we qt fish, and all naso’s have been difficult for I feel like the last 3 years. It use to be the large ones did well for us, but no longer.

I can almost always get them to eat, starting with Dictyota that is omnipresent in our invert systems, and gradually they go for nori and mysis within 5 days. I have noticed that the ones that end up perishing are lackadaisical about eating compared to a normal voracious naso, and they do this weird contortion or stretch/bend on occasion and appear somewhat listless and unconfident. They also seem to have irregular slime coats in some places, but not enough that it triggers us to give him antibiotics or formalin, but maybe we should?

Despite all this they usually make it through 14 days of formalin and 2 ppm coppersafe but most will one day stop eating and perish in the customer tanks within 5 weeks.

OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen some stupid prices on these blondes I can’t imagine how much the Xl are 350$ plus I’m sure
Yeah, I did spend quite alot, especially on the first one, (picture from first post)
I think between crazy water changes and medication I was close to $600 for first one. 2nd one was on sale, and now I see why, it wasn't in best health. Very skinny.

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm counting my blessings right now :grimacing-face:
I got mine when it was tiny and fed heavily as well as had vitamin-infused nori in the tank at all times. I didn't know this trend was happening.

Is it me, or has alot of fish in general been not very healthy lately? Bluethroats for me have been a 0% survival rate. They just do not eat in my tank and hide all day, then die of starvation. I've tried every kind of food and even leave halfshell clams right next to them and they just don't take. On the other hand, I got a tiny niger trigger, and he will snatch food away from my tongs while I'm trying to feed my eel.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back