Having some trouble with my Tyree Leather

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tyree leather corals. Both were doing great for a long time until I moved them to a new tank. All the other corals (most of which I would assume are more sensitive than this) except for two kenya trees are all doing really well. I was thinking it was flow related or something but neither these nor the kenya trees will open and they seem to be laying down more and more every day. I worry they will poison my tank if I keep trying. Any idea what could have caused this? Is there a parameter that these guys are more sensitive about than other lps corals?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved to a new tank, how long ago? Was the tank completely cycled? Have you tested and ruled out the typical water chemistry test?
Can you post an image of the coral, they are Toadstools right?
Not uncommon for Toadstools to react negatively to being handled and to stay closed for prolonged periods. Sometimes higher mod flow can be beneficial. If the corals are turning brown or black and disintegrating then it's time to remove them. If the leather just have not shed their waxy coating they might just need more flow and time.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My finger leather hates me touching it. I added rocks about two weeks ago and had to move the leather so I could work. It closed up for 4 days and then shed. Leathers are hardy but sisnsitive to the touch.

OP
OP
PAXpress

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved to a new tank, how long ago? Was the tank completely cycled? Have you tested and ruled out the typical water chemistry test?
Can you post an image of the coral, they are Toadstools right?
Not uncommon for Toadstools to react negatively to being handled and to stay closed for prolonged periods. Sometimes higher mod flow can be beneficial. If the corals are turning brown or black and disintegrating then it's time to remove them. If the leather just have not shed their waxy coating they might just need more flow and time.
The pictures I have of them are old and they arent opening now so they look like toadstools I'm not sure the difference really they are the ones that have super bright green polyps when they open and start almost mushroom shaped and then turn into an upside down umbrella shape.

My finger leather hates me touching it. I added rocks about two weeks ago and had to move the leather so I could work. It closed up for 4 days and then shed. Leathers are hardy but sisnsitive to the touch.
Thats what I thought at first. The kenya trees were fine and I didnt touch them then all of a sudden they were laying down and almost like gravity had been increased 10 fold. Other corals are fine. I did an extremely long cycle to make sure things were good over 2 and a half months cycling and testing. I test Calc/Alk/Mag/Salinity Weekly After two weeks of them looking unhappy I moved them to my other tank (drip acclimated for a while) and they didnt seem happy there either. Two started to disintigrate so I took them out in fear of toxicity. One Tyree is left because he seemed like his polyps wanted to come out. I moved him to a bit more flow and we will see but I still havent seen him open in a while.

Back