Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My store gets the list, but doesn't order from QM. I'm about the only one there that will check the list.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a regular blue one a little over a year a while back, and it took me 3 or 4 tries to get that one. He eventually carpet surfed but he ate very well the whole time I had him. I think these guys are just really bad shippers much like leopard wrasse. Some of the things I tried were already mentioned but I also had luck with live black worms, and they can also be chopped up into small chunks for smaller fish like these. Easiest way to chop them is in the feeding cup with water and scissors. Also had good luck with the nutramar ova and rods reef food and larrys reef frenzy etc.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place a big frozen order about every six months, due again soon. Last time it was nowhere now it's apparently everywhere ...... go figure!

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Ova can be a 'miracle' food for tricky eaters. I've had fish start on it that refused everything else. Not available anymore as far as I can tell.

Marine Depot claims to have it in stock. :)

Junior84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't mean to butt in but new to the site and not sure how to post a question it's asking for at least one participant?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An article I read not too long ago recommends that the aquarium industry not sell wild caught due to their high mortality rates in captivity. They are now being captive bred but I don't know who is selling them. The captive bred do much better from what they said.

johndawe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I heard was there were only a few of the captive raised and they went fast and sold through Quality Marine. There was a poster at MACNA last year that had info on the Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse that were tank raised. I was really excited about that.
Saw one eating brine shrimp 11 years ago in a fish store.
I also heard if you have a really big tank with lots of fish they will do fine.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a very small one today that I saw aggressively eating Reef Nutrition brine shrimp at my LFS.

That's lucky. I still haven't had one in the shop that will eat at all.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! They got the wrasse to start eating bit of food, though it appears to be mostly eating things it finds in the rocks and sand along with whatever it's getting off of the fishmates. He's still doing well for them though, so that's something!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For folks that are having success, can you please be clear that you are talking about the Hawaiian cleaner and not the 'regular' blue streak. I've never had any issues with the latter in big tanks with lots of other fish. Never have tried a Hawaiian cleaner.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCN2169.JPG
My tank (180) has been up 3.5 months. On day one after cycling, I seeded with pods. The tank is loaded with pods. The new and only wrasse in the tank is a podaholic and eats frozen, as well. It is a Hawaiian cleaner wrasse. Shame on me for buying it, as it should not be collected for this hobby, but when I saw it eating at my LFS I couldn't resist.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching out because I myself just picked up a Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse at my LFS for 60bucks?!?

Just arrived in their store today, and I took it home same day. Understandably so the wrasse has had a long day of travel so not expecting it to eat right away. After the afternoon feeding of the tank the wrasse seemed to look at the food but never went for anything (darting after pieces but not inhaling).

I have decided to get a plentiful amount of different foods for the little guy because this is the only wrasse in the tank and I would really enjoy seeing it thrive. Incoming in the mail are the following: Zoo Med Can O Cyclops, Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes, and possibility of brine hatchery. In my freezer I have SF BAY mysis and Rods Food the regular blend. Current fish in the tank are on a pretty consistent diet of Probiotix New Life Spectrum pellets and Thera New Life Spectrum Pellets

As for the tank itself it has been seeded with pods from Algae Barn several months back and been up running and creating a steady population. Five other fish reside in the tank so the slime coat intake may be okay for this particular wrasse.

Hoping I can get opinions on the wrasse, success stories, and other possible foods to grab for the bugger! Thanks all and have a great weekend reefing. Stay safe.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back