OP
OP
Chef Mateo

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres also chaetodon fremblii, the whitespot toby puffer, and ostracion whitleyi, if you like box and puffer fish. If i remember correctly pseudanthias bicolor is endemic to the hawaiian islands too, or is at least native there.
I do love boxfish only risk with me is the death although I haven't really heard of people experiencing this. I believe pseudanthias bicolor is native to Hawaii, I think it may be collected in Indonesia as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tangs and wrasses

cant beat a school of Yellow Tangs

1596506903863.png

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I think of Hawaii I think of Yellow tangs, Convict tangs, and flame wrasses. I own both the tangs and always have wanted the flame wrasse, just not sure the lifespan is worth the price.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy @BighohoReef is doing a stocklist of fish only from Hawaii! Maybe he can chime in as well!

Go get it David...

Also.... my favorite Hawaiian fish is the Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse..Ive created a thread on him/her here! Come check it out! Hard to explain this beauty in just one post!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is from Hawaii so we totally get the love for the Hawaiian fish. Here's a list of our Hawaiian fish...
  • Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse
  • Valentini Puffer
  • Kole Tang
  • Hawkfish
For future plans I started my research off of the FOWLR list found on reefbuilders.com. High on my list is the Tinker's butterflyfish, though it's not reef safe and you need a large tank and the Flame Wrasse (deep water). Personally the biggest challenges with keeping Hawaiian fish are the initial expense, deep water species survial rate is low and you need to be fairly experienced to keep them. As @ReeferBlaine we both keep Hawaiian cleaners, the inital challenge was to get them to eat or have enough to eat but now that we're both over that hump we have relatively happy healthy fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back