Hawkfish in 20 gallons?

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a 20 gallon tank containing a pair of clowns, a royal gramma, 4 nassarius snails and 4 trochus snails. Ive seen at my lfs flame and longnose hawkfish and absolutely love them. I understand not all hawkfish like snails and will be setting up an 8 gallon reef so if i had to i could house them there. Is it possible to have one in a 19 by 14 by 14 inch tank?

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a little cramped, but if you have some rock caves for it to hide in and a little room to roam then you should be fine...even though it's recommended at least 30 gallon. Mine doesn't attack snails but each animal is different. As long as your snails arent tiny I wouldn't worry about it. My clowns were a little aggressive towards my flame hawkfish for about a week hence why they need a hiding place

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions you gave is only 16 gallons. Hawkfish are fine in 20 imo, but that is very likely too much fish. 2 clowns, a Royal, and a Longnose would require much more substantial filtration that is typical for such a small tank. Why not just upgrade to a 30 or skip all that and get a 40 breeder?

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimensions you gave is only 16 gallons. Hawkfish are fine in 20 imo, but that is very likely too much fish. 2 clowns, a Royal, and a Longnose would require much more substantial filtration that is typical for such a small tank. Why not just upgrade to a 30 or skip all that and get a 40 breeder?
I gave the dimensions like that because ive factored in sand. The problem is that im not allowed a tank downstairs and my room cant actually take any more weight otherwise i would have gone for a red sea 170 or 250.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a little cramped, but if you have some rock caves for it to hide in and a little room to roam then you should be fine...even though it's recommended at least 30 gallon. Mine doesn't attack snails but each animal is different. As long as your snails arent tiny I wouldn't worry about it. My clowns were a little aggressive towards my flame hawkfish for about a week hence why they need a hiding place
DBBEF44A-063A-4320-AEE8-D3B052EF55AD.jpeg

Although you cannot see it, there is lots of caves round the back by the cave and underneath the left structure. Im assuming i will probably need a bit more rock because they do get a bit big.

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like enough space, more rock means more room for bacteria to help handle the bioload. Maybe just rearrange the rocks a little to make some nooks for him to hide in and get shade or you could add a few rocks if you want...

Attachments

• 20210523_114059.jpg
    20210523_114059.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 172
  • 20210523_115800.jpg
    20210523_115800.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 161

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave the dimensions like that because ive factored in sand. The problem is that im not allowed a tank downstairs and my room cant actually take any more weight otherwise i would have gone for a red sea 170 or 250.
Okay, I was just pointing it out in case you didn't know but as I said for a smaller tank the issue is the size of these fish as they all are going to get pretty big and there is very little you can do to drastically increase filtration. If you can remotely locate a sump or even a canister filter with reef specific media. It might be deceiving as the fish are rather small atm and I am generally less apt to be strict with recommendations as I know it is so likely that the person will upgrade but if your saying you are locked in as long as you live their it is not time to be playing it loose. I appreciate that you reached out for advice on this matter and I'm sorry that I can't support moving forward but I take fish health very seriously. It is ultimately entirely your decision as you know your situation and you have the 8g to move the Royal if needed. It can be hard to plan for the eventually that all fish reach full size, except for the poor little male clown ;Panda

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I was just pointing it out in case you didn't know but as I said for a smaller tank the issue is the size of these fish as they all are going to get pretty big and there is very little you can do to drastically increase filtration. If you can remotely locate a sump or even a canister filter with reef specific media. It might be deceiving as the fish are rather small atm and I am generally less apt to be strict with recommendations as I know it is so likely that the person will upgrade but if your saying you are locked in as long as you live their it is not time to be playing it loose. I appreciate that you reached out for advice on this matter and I'm sorry that I can't support moving forward but I take fish health very seriously. It is ultimately entirely your decision as you know your situation and you have the 8g to move the Royal if needed. It can be hard to plan for the eventually that all fish reach full size, except for the poor little male clown ;Panda
Well i mean ill see how things are in a couple months because by then i can buy more rocks and the 8 gallon will be cycled. From there i can decide. I would totally have a sump i loves sumps but my tank has these slide lids which dont actually allow you to fit external overflows . They are also quite expensive for me.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i mean ill see how things are in a couple months because by then i can buy more rocks and the 8 gallon will be cycled. From there i can decide. I would totally have a sump i loves sumps but my tank has these slide lids which dont actually allow you to fit external overflows . They are also quite expensive for me.
External overflows are not my favorite. I drill my tanks which is easy but I have very good tools and do construction for a living so I am always hesitant to recommend it to someone else. The key is pretty simple though, slow, wet, and a steady hand. Funny how a thread about fish turns into a discussion about sumps.

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coastie, that is one beautiful hawk!
Thanks, his name is Tony Hawkfish lol. Good luck with your tank, whatever you decide I hope you end up with one in the future, they have great personality. With this hobby it's hard to accept the fact you can't have a lot of fish you actually want unless you have the means to meet their well being....that's why I'm already planning on my dream retirement tank 30 years out

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External overflows are not my favorite. I drill my tanks which is easy but I have very good tools and do construction for a living so I am always hesitant to recommend it to someone else. The key is pretty simple though, slow, wet, and a steady hand. Funny how a thread about fish turns into a discussion about sumps.
I would be too scared to drill mine and plus there would be no one to take my anger out at if it broke :)

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, his name is Tony Hawkfish lol. Good luck with your tank, whatever you decide I hope you end up with one in the future, they have great personality. With this hobby it's hard to accept the fact you can't have a lot of fish you actually want unless you have the means to meet their well being....that's why I'm already planning on my dream retirement tank 30 years out
That is such a good name! My clowns are Bryan and Bettie with my gramma being Gurgles. Maybe i should plan on a dream retirement tank aswell. Hmm now you have me thinking of loads of ideas, dang it!

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a good name! My clowns are Bryan and Bettie with my gramma being Gurgles. Maybe i should plan on a dream retirement tank aswell. Hmm now you have me thinking of loads of ideas, dang it!
My mom calls my Longnose Tony Hawkfish, but I don't personally give my fish names because I always forget and then I think maybe I should write them down and I look at the notes on my phone which already very badly needs to be pruned or I could add them to my computer files where information goes to die.

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom calls my Longnose Tony Hawkfish, but I don't personally give my fish names because I always forget and then I think maybe I should write them down and I look at the notes on my phone which already very badly needs to be pruned or I could add them to my computer files where information goes to die.
Same i always tend to forget and it is aswell my mum who came up with these names. I just admire them rather than name them. Plus i get to attached when they die.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back