HD's 144 1/2 Moon

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a few pic's when I first joined this great group of folks! Now I'm sharing what I have and where I'm going with this build. 1st off it is a 144 gallon 1/2 circle. You have probably seen this tank on old posts from yesteryears. This little gem was my dream tank years ago, found it still brand new, never wet and it was calling my name (my wife is still calling me names since I bought it). I have heard and read how bow fronts are distorted, how some people love them, some people hate them but hey, it's like my Harley, I always wanted one, took years before I was able to afford one and when the time came I pulled the trigger. The tank will be sitting in my man cave along a wall that can be viewed from anywhere in the room. Bar area, poker table, watching a flick on the big screen or walking down the hall. Yes I found the tank of my dreams.

I got lucky because it fits perfectly on the wall and I have an empty storage room behind it, so guess where the sump/refugium and all the other noise makers are going. You guessed it correctly! Behind the wall! I did make the mistake of listening to my lfs' and went with the eshopps r-200. Members on the forum shared views on it but it was to late to return it and go with something else. Although it is rated within the size of my tank, looking at it in that empty room made me think....dang! I could have gone much bigger! But it's to late to return it and I'm not slowing down now, I'll use it and continue my upgrades as they system matures (and my wallet recoups).

Never plumbing a tank before I really have no idea what I'm doing. I have looked at numerous builds on this site and I'm thinking...I'm missing something. 2 lines from my tank to my sump, 2 lines from my sump to my tank and a valve on my return pump. Is that all I need? Or are you still sitting there laughing at the noob? Ok, that made me laugh too!

I am using the eflux dc pump, they seem to have decent ratings and I have to keep the cost of this build somewhat under control. Like I mentioned earlier, I can upgrade to better stuff as it grows. Size of the pump area also played a factor in my decision for this pump.

For flow I will see how one Icecap 3k works in the tank, I'm thinking with the tanks design I might get good flow moving around the tank. If not, I will circle the wagons and go to plan B. I haven't figured out plan B yet.

Lighting. Oh boy, now that's a tough one. Decided to start out with 2 Al hydra 26's and adjust with more or a hybrid if needed. It's challenging because you don't see many of these tanks, so you can't just go see what the other guy is using and how they look.

My plan was to use all dry rock and seed it with one or two pieces of live rock from my wife's 32 Biocube. But we got to experience velvet for the first time so her tank is now a coral and invert display tank for 72 days (just to make sure there wasn't some ich in there as well). For people that don't quaritine, let me share some news, a Fishless tank is pretty boring. Now it's dry rock only. Yes I know what your thinking, the noob had a cause of rectum cranial inversion. I did, but now brothers and sisters we have a quaritine tank. Never again will we put anything in our tanks without quaratine first!

Now the skimmer, I haven't picked it up yet because hey, it's a new build so I can pick it up a few weeks after I fill it. But I'm leaning towards the curve 7.

Got a great deal on the figi sand. My wife has the Hawaiian black, but it's too dark for my taste. It seems to absorb to much light for my eyes.

So my reef family, that's where I am today, plan to fill it in another week. Feel free to give pointers, advice, laugh or take some friendly jabs and I'll promise to post more as I continue the build. Thanks for reading my post!

IMG_20180224_102602.jpg

IMG_20180224_102549.jpg

IMG_20180224_103845.jpg

IMG_20180224_102608.jpg

IMG_20180425_191315.jpg

IMG_20180425_191420.jpg

IMG_20180425_191417.jpg

IMG_20180425_191607.jpg

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool tank! What type of overflow does it have on it? How many holes and what sizes? That will help determine the best way to get it plumbed. So nice having the sump and all that equipment in a seperate room! Congrats and welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool tank! What type of overflow does it have on it? How many holes and what sizes? That will help determine the best way to get it plumbed. So nice having the sump and all that equipment in a seperate room! Congrats and welcome to R2R!
Please excuse my ignorance, not sure about the type overflow. Factory dilled, overflow is 2 1" holles, return is 3/4" inner diameter. Attaching a couple of pics.

IMG_20180425_215340.jpg

IMG_20180425_215327.jpg

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same tank for about 5yrs!!love it and hate it at the same time, especially when cleaning time. Finally sold for 500 to a Harvey hurricane victim, because see lost it in the hurricane.
upload_2018-4-25_22-6-14.png
hdsoftail1065Member
New
I seen a few old posts from people that had the tank and seen some old pics of them set up. I figured it would be fun to clean. But I think it will be a great DT.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse my ignorance, not sure about the type overflow. Factory dilled, overflow is 2 1" holles, return is 3/4" inner diameter. Attaching a couple of pics.

IMG_20180425_215340.jpg

IMG_20180425_215327.jpg

Now you have to decide if you want to run it as intended (2 durso drains and the return). This is ok, but can sometimes be a little difficult to make quiet. Or you could make one or both drains siphons (which are silent). This would either be a herbie style overflow or a bean animal style overflow). With the bean animal it requires 3 holes, so you would have to put the return line over the top of the tank.

Just some things to think about and research if you like. There's nothing really wrong with a traditional durso overflow setup, but can be a little noisy.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you have to decide if you want to run it as intended (2 durso drains and the return). This is ok, but can sometimes be a little difficult to make quiet. Or you could make one or both drains siphons (which are silent). This would either be a herbie style overflow or a bean animal style overflow). With the bean animal it requires 3 holes, so you would have to put the return line over the top of the tank.

Just some things to think about and research if you like. There's nothing really wrong with a traditional durso overflow setup, but can be a little noisy.
Sounds like I have homework! Thanks I'll start researching. I figured the noise would be pretty much non-existent with everything in a room behind it.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I have homework! Thanks I'll start researching. I figured the noise would be pretty much non-existent with everything in a room behind it.

It will definitely help! The noise on "traditional" overflow setups comes from air being sucked down the pipe along with water. Where as a full siphon only is pulling water. Nothing to really worry about, but just something to read up on if you want while your excited to get the tank going but your wife tells you to come to bed! Lol

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a few pic's when I first joined this great group of folks! Now I'm sharing what I have and where I'm going with this build. 1st off it is a 144 gallon 1/2 circle. You have probably seen this tank on old posts from yesteryears. This little gem was my dream tank years ago, found it still brand new, never wet and it was calling my name (my wife is still calling me names since I bought it). I have heard and read how bow fronts are distorted, how some people love them, some people hate them but hey, it's like my Harley, I always wanted one, took years before I was able to afford one and when the time came I pulled the trigger. The tank will be sitting in my man cave along a wall that can be viewed from anywhere in the room. Bar area, poker table, watching a flick on the big screen or walking down the hall. Yes I found the tank of my dreams.

I got lucky because it fits perfectly on the wall and I have an empty storage room behind it, so guess where the sump/refugium and all the other noise makers are going. You guessed it correctly! Behind the wall! I did make the mistake of listening to my lfs' and went with the eshopps r-200. Members on the forum shared views on it but it was to late to return it and go with something else. Although it is rated within the size of my tank, looking at it in that empty room made me think....dang! I could have gone much bigger! But it's to late to return it and I'm not slowing down now, I'll use it and continue my upgrades as they system matures (and my wallet recoups).

Never plumbing a tank before I really have no idea what I'm doing. I have looked at numerous builds on this site and I'm thinking...I'm missing something. 2 lines from my tank to my sump, 2 lines from my sump to my tank and a valve on my return pump. Is that all I need? Or are you still sitting there laughing at the noob? Ok, that made me laugh too!

I am using the eflux dc pump, they seem to have decent ratings and I have to keep the cost of this build somewhat under control. Like I mentioned earlier, I can upgrade to better stuff as it grows. Size of the pump area also played a factor in my decision for this pump.

For flow I will see how one Icecap 3k works in the tank, I'm thinking with the tanks design I might get good flow moving around the tank. If not, I will circle the wagons and go to plan B. I haven't figured out plan B yet.

Lighting. Oh boy, now that's a tough one. Decided to start out with 2 Al hydra 26's and adjust with more or a hybrid if needed. It's challenging because you don't see many of these tanks, so you can't just go see what the other guy is using and how they look.

My plan was to use all dry rock and seed it with one or two pieces of live rock from my wife's 32 Biocube. But we got to experience velvet for the first time so her tank is now a coral and invert display tank for 72 days (just to make sure there wasn't some ich in there as well). For people that don't quaritine, let me share some news, a Fishless tank is pretty boring. Now it's dry rock only. Yes I know what your thinking, the noob had a cause of rectum cranial inversion. I did, but now brothers and sisters we have a quaritine tank. Never again will we put anything in our tanks without quaratine first!

Now the skimmer, I haven't picked it up yet because hey, it's a new build so I can pick it up a few weeks after I fill it. But I'm leaning towards the curve 7.

Got a great deal on the figi sand. My wife has the Hawaiian black, but it's too dark for my taste. It seems to absorb to much light for my eyes.

So my reef family, that's where I am today, plan to fill it in another week. Feel free to give pointers, advice, laugh or take some friendly jabs and I'll promise to post more as I continue the build. Thanks for reading my post!

IMG_20180224_102602.jpg

IMG_20180224_102549.jpg

IMG_20180224_103845.jpg

IMG_20180224_102608.jpg

IMG_20180425_191315.jpg

IMG_20180425_191420.jpg

IMG_20180425_191417.jpg

IMG_20180425_191607.jpg
That is going to be awesome man!

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of those tanks on a shared sump. Traveling so no keyboard but ...
Be careful with the flexible return lines. Don’t stress. The will leak
Lighting is challenging, four lights work best
Hinge the canopy by building a ledge along the wall
Hang lights inside canopy
Incorporate refugium into return circuit

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of those tanks I’m travelling so no keyboard but here are some sites
The return lines are flexible and cannot be stressed where they leave the tank they will leak
Hinge the canopy for much easier access by building a ledge along the wall
Mount the lights inside the canopy, four lights are necessary for proper lighting
Include a refugium in your return lines
I love the tanks
Happy to compare notes after I get home

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of those tanks I’m travelling so no keyboard but here are some sites
The return lines are flexible and cannot be stressed where they leave the tank they will leak
Hinge the canopy for much easier access by building a ledge along the wall
Mount the lights inside the canopy, four lights are necessary for proper lighting
Include a refugium in your return lines
I love the tanks
Happy to compare notes after I get home
That sounds amazing, looking forward to tapping your brain. Thanks for the reply!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back