Heart Breaking Shark week please help

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Grandma died......

I took a plane 3000 miles away and consoled my mother for a week.

While away on the 5th day my Japanese Leopard shark who is 11 inches long some how managed to climb out of a 1.25 inch wide hole and kill himself due to lack of water.

This blow was unexpected and honestly just too much at the moment. I had him for 3 months and the progress had been amazing. I never imagined he could fit through that hole. I failed miserably. I have since covered all holes with screens no matter how small.

To make things worst. My 2.5 foot white spotted bamboo shark "Thumper" whom is a loyal friend....Has become I'll. All other 20 fish and bamboo sharks are as normal as ever...But he has somewhat changed in coloration to more white here and there and is ocassionally on his front legs and coughing.

I don't see any bump under his chin that looks like Goiter disease. He has been on Mizuri shark vitamins the past several months..Though I think half the time he spits them out.

He ate a tank mate whom I suspected might be sick two weeks ago. Perhaps he has contracted something?

His strength is still good but he has not eaten in 6 or 7 days.

Screenshot_20220920-230504-881.png

OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any thoughts on my large Bamboo shark ease help me. The local fish store has been calling around 2 days for possible advice but so far can't help me

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm so sorry for your loss. That's certainly a lot to go through.

I hope the other little guy pulls through. I'll tag our #fishmedics in hopes they can help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Grandma died......

I took a plane 3000 miles away and consoled my mother for a week.

While away on the 5th day my Japanese Leopard shark who is 11 inches long some how managed to climb out of a 1.25 inch wide hole and kill himself due to lack of water.

This blow was unexpected and honestly just too much at the moment. I had him for 3 months and the progress had been amazing. I never imagined he could fit through that hole. I failed miserably. I have since covered all holes with screens no matter how small.

To make things worst. My 2.5 foot white spotted bamboo shark "Thumper" whom is a loyal friend....Has become I'll. All other 20 fish and bamboo sharks are as normal as ever...But he has somewhat changed in coloration to more white here and there and is ocassionally on his front legs and coughing.

I don't see any bump under his chin that looks like Goiter disease. He has been on Mizuri shark vitamins the past several months..Though I think half the time he spits them out.

He ate a tank mate whom I suspected might be sick two weeks ago. Perhaps he has contracted something?

His strength is still good but he has not eaten in 6 or 7 days.

Screenshot_20220920-230504-881.png
Sorry to hear of all the events and may god pull you through and offer you strength to move forward.
My suspicion will be water quality and likely Nitrate which they do not tolerate well. With the others doing well, it may be an internal issue or constipation from eating the other tankMate.
Just watch for the shark not appear to be "panting" or become overly lethargic. Its eyes and skin should not have any discolorations or white spots. Sharks are prone to bacterial and parasitic infections which can cause discoloration of the skin, frequent yawning and chaffing on the bottom of the tank. Be watchful for any of these behaviors with your shark.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
killemall

killemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any medication that I can add to the tank that may help my shark but not hurt the other tank mates?

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sharks can go a long time without eating especially after a big meal. What did he eat? What have you been feeding the shark and besides Mazuri have you been using other vitamin supplements? Nitrates are likely not the cause here unless they have been very high for a long time. Shark seems to be breathing normally.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There isn't a lot of research on medication on sharks, the only one that shows promising results is Chloroquine Phosphate although research is limited. I'm gonna tag the most knowledgeable person I know about sharks @Jay Hemdal and not sure if he is still around but I know he has done CQ research in the past. @Humblefish I wouldn't recommend medication right away, but I will let the experts chime in.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would stay away from silversides as they offer very low nutritional value compared to alternatives. Do you use Selcon for additional vitamin supplement?

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your personal losses.

For bacterial, fungal, or viral infections - Paraguard is a pretty good broad-spectrum medication which can be to use for treating sharks. Although it may be best to use quarter to half doses instead of full doses.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any medication that I can add to the tank that may help my shark but not hurt the other tank mates?

Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles.

From what I can see in the video, the shark has a generalized bacterial infection. It could also be flukes, but I would think then, the smaller bamboo would also show symptoms.

What happened to the larger sharks caudal and second dorsal fin? They look eroded. Is this recent?

There really isn't an antibiotic you can safely add to a display tank (and a large tank like this would be very expensive). You could try dipping the shark daily in a tub with a heater and air stone for three hours, using an antibiotic at 2x the regular dose. This isn't as effective as a whole tank treatment, but is easier to do. You could try Neoplex or Kanaplex.

Jay

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles.

From what I can see in the video, the shark has a generalized bacterial infection. It could also be flukes, but I would think then, the smaller bamboo would also show symptoms.

What happened to the larger sharks caudal and second dorsal fin? They look eroded. Is this recent?

There really isn't an antibiotic you can safely add to a display tank (and a large tank like this would be very expensive). You could try dipping the shark daily in a tub with a heater and air stone for three hours, using an antibiotic at 2x the regular dose. This isn't as effective as a whole tank treatment, but is easier to do. You could try Neoplex or Kanaplex.

Jay
I wonder if sharks experience fin rot from lack of nutrition like a bony fish?

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharks can get many of the same bacterial, viral & fungal infections as bony fish can. And they can be affected by many similar conditions as bony fish can. So, it may be a form of fin rot.

I would definitely think using a smaller dipping tank to treat the shark (with a broad-spectrum antibiotic) is a must - as Jay suggested.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back