Heater exploded

96xjmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys still trying to figure out this fourm. Bare with me, so this past Saturday I had my 300watt cobalt aquatic heater explod on me and has wiped out all my spa corals with in 8hr time. I set up a hospital tank and still low a bunch of corals. Not a happy camper about all this but at the end of the day I am fighting to keep my head high and continue on in the hobby, just thought I would share my loss with ppl that care as much as I do about this hobby. Moral of the story is be sure to take immediate actions to save your self issues and the loss of thousands of dollars. I have been in contact with cobalt aquatic and we will see what they do.

I have done 80g in water changes and still have what's left of my corals in my hospital tank I lost around 20+frags 1 clan and a male pink magen wrasse all other fish are doing well and eating. I am running a ton of carbon and will be swapping it out when tomorrow for the 3rd time. Please let me know if any of you guys have any other helpful tips and tricks for me to help me get my tank back in order to go on with my build.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss! That is really unfortunate and I would contact Cobalt about any warranty claim and see if they can attempt to make this right.

Carbon, constant (large, if the corals are out) water changes to get whatever contaminants out, maybe some polysorb/cuprisorb to get any excess metals in the water removed, is your best bet. Hang in there!

OP
OP
96xjmatt

96xjmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss! That is really unfortunate and I would contact Cobalt about any warranty claim and see if they can attempt to make this right.

Carbon, constant (large, if the corals are out) water changes to get whatever contaminants out, maybe some polysorb/cuprisorb to get any excess metals in the water removed, is your best bet. Hang in there!

Thank you I'll look in to getting some polysorb right now

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this seems to be a chronic issue with the larger, 200+ watt Cobalt Neotherm heaters. :(

OP
OP
96xjmatt

96xjmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this seems to be a chronic issue with the larger, 200+ watt Cobalt Neotherm heaters. :(
This wasn't the neo therm it was a glass one unfortunately I lost most of my stuff and I'm waiting to hear back from them

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man... that's one of my nightmares.
Heater blowing up
I don't even have mines on the gfci since the on and off trips it from time
Hope all turns out

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a neo-therm... accu-therm? Mini-therm? Easy-therm?

Sorry about your loss. Don't feel lonely. One of the cheapest components of our systems, that darned heater, is cause for more wipeouts than any other single piece of equipment.

Any idea what, exactly, caused the losses? Electrical shock, metal contamination, or excessive temperature?

I went with a titanium Finnex tube, with no internal temp control. I'm using my reefkeeper to control it, and an audible alarm if the temp swings outside of a couple degrees. Seemed a reasonable solution for my situation, since I work from home... there's pretty much always someone here to notice an alarm. If that weren't the case, an Apex or something with the ability to send remote alarms would probably have looked much more attractive.

OP
OP
96xjmatt

96xjmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a neo-therm... accu-therm? Mini-therm? Easy-therm?

Sorry about your loss. Don't feel lonely. One of the cheapest components of our systems, that darned heater, is cause for more wipeouts than any other single piece of equipment.

Any idea what, exactly, caused the losses? Electrical shock, metal contamination, or excessive temperature?

I went with a titanium Finnex tube, with no internal temp control. I'm using my reefkeeper to control it, and an audible alarm if the temp swings outside of a couple degrees. Seemed a reasonable solution for my situation, since I work from home... there's pretty much always someone here to notice an alarm. If that weren't the case, an Apex or something with the ability to send remote alarms would probably have looked much more attractive.
Accu-thetm was the heater hear are some photos, it was on a apex. Was so fast never got a email but my dad was in the room when it happend. I now have a titanium one now. We have no idea what caused Everything to die I've been doing water changes in running a lot of carbon only thing left are a few LPS corals and my fish
5fe972829369299cf92e513635a8b398.jpg
4618557690adbb456bf57374f703e394.jpg
19f828ba3e32a1d28daa7dac546890c9.jpg
d302a588155e0b413f32290f40c9ec47.jpg
8e1f8f8e9c571962900d24655651dfbf.jpg
6f14f0ce9df88aa95258236eb26d1333.jpg
c35b8b881b7e529b178ff4c94842afe3.jpg
7a88f0bc029d09356496e633ddc0972a.jpg
d0e9256a815946a9fb63c37a2c9f97a8.jpg

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woof, I'm sorry to see that. But keep those frags, you never know if they can come back from the brink! If you have a skimmer you can try the Triton Detox, supposed to help with heavy metals in the water column, too.

OP
OP
96xjmatt

96xjmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woof, I'm sorry to see that. But keep those frags, you never know if they can come back from the brink! If you have a skimmer you can try the Triton Detox, supposed to help with heavy metals in the water column, too.
I took all frags out of the tank and will be putting them in my sump when I set back up my fuge this was my tank b4 everthing happend and after
52775145a4953c3f041aca7d8490c0a6.jpg
0ce2c6df7aa407e31a4278ceca200790.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh.

Well, if the tank didn't heat up, then you know it was contamination, or electrical shock, that killed your critters. I'd probably suspect electrical shock, as metal contamination takes some time. Do you have a grounding probe?

I shocked the crap out of myself once, many years ago, with a pump cord that had hardened and cracked. I've run a ground probe ever since... and have never needed it. Kinda like a fire extinguisher, car insurance, or a CCW handgun. Something you buy hoping you _never_ need it.

Might I recommend sending a sample off to Triton? Might be a good way to help determine the current state of water quality.

OP
OP
96xjmatt

96xjmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh.

Well, if the tank didn't heat up, then you know it was contamination, or electrical shock, that killed your critters. I'd probably suspect electrical shock, as metal contamination takes some time. Do you have a grounding probe?

I shocked the crap out of myself once, many years ago, with a pump cord that had hardened and cracked. I've run a ground probe ever since... and have never needed it. Kinda like a fire extinguisher, car insurance, or a CCW handgun. Something you buy hoping you _never_ need it.

Might I recommend sending a sample off to Triton? Might be a good way to help determine the current state of water quality.
I do have a grounding probe amaterafct I have 2 one in over flow and one in sump, I will be ding a Triton test right before I start adding corals again

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unique corals also carries Panta Lith which removes metals from water. I've used it. I also use Neo Therm heaters, haven't had a problem with any of them. The possibility of a heater malfunction is why I started with an Apex controller, backup.

Oceanavekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that. DIY Joey had a 200W blow up on him a while back. I'm thinking about getting 2 75watt as they're pretty nice heaters but don't want it blowing up on me

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that. DIY Joey had a 200W blow up on him a while back. I'm thinking about getting 2 75watt as they're pretty nice heaters but don't want it blowing up on me
Maybe that was an older model. I thought I read they fixed the problem a couple years ago.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 50w,150w,and 200 w, always correct temp, wires aren't brittle, I've run them completely submerged never had a problem. The 200w I've run for years. The 150w are new, so far so good.

Oceanavekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 50w,150w,and 200 w, always correct temp, wires aren't brittle, I've run them completely submerged never had a problem. The 200w I've run for years. The 150w are new, so far so good.

I thought they fixed the issue too

I'm looking at getting a neo therm which I haven't read any major issues on and supposed to be spot on

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they fixed the issue too

I'm looking at getting a neo therm which I haven't read any major issues on and supposed to be spot on
They're a nice flat heater, easy to place.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a couple of 100 watt Neotherms that have served me well.

Maybe that was an older model. I thought I read they fixed the problem a couple years ago.

That's what I thought too. But recently, I've read a number of threads where the larger watt Neotherms blew up and they had fairly recent manufacture dates.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back