Heater overheated

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, I use two Eheim heaters and get them calibrated to my preferred temp range 78 - 78.5. Then I make one my primary heater, and second one becomes a fail safe (only used if primary heater fails) both are them monitored by my Apex. I also tend to buy wattage, which is less than recommended as kind of another fail safe. Works great for me.

any tips on calibrating the Eheim heater? I tried but gave up.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tips, patience. I am willing to accept a range of 3/4 of a degree. If you want it tighter (especially for smaller tanks) than that you’ll need your Apex or similar controller.

Since I use two heaters, I watch each one separately to see which one performs more to my liking, and it is designated as the primary heater.

Here’s my 75 gal for the last day:

8E24D53C-0502-490D-827E-8316243931D6.png

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You calibrate using a known source or sources averaged.
So once your known source says the temp you want to keep, then move the red pointer to that mark.

I prefer to always use digital heaters rather than contact types in addition to a controller

The Fluval E-Series is an example and also will cut power at 3 degrees above setting or if removed from water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Leave them. There is always that slim chance as temp remains normal constant that it may bud again

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So once your known source says the temp you want to keep, then move the red pointer to that mark.

I prefer to always use digital heaters rather than contact types in addition to a controller

The Fluval E-Series is an example and also will cut power at 3 degrees above setting or if removed from water.
Oh ya, I use my Hanna digital thermometer to validate all heater testing.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

still confused...If I put the heater in a bucket set to 20c but it heats the water to say 24c, what do I do with the dials? turn both to 24c?

was looking at the Fluval E heaters but the 100w one Is far too long for my tank, two 50w would probably be too tight in the space I have available for the heaters.

Any experience of the Aquael Ultra Heater? nearly half the size.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still confused...If I put the heater in a bucket set to 20c but it heats the water to say 24c, what do I do with the dials? turn both to 24c?

was looking at the Fluval E heaters but the 100w one Is far too long for my tank, two 50w would probably be too tight in the space I have available for the heaters.

Turn the blue dial down, counter clockwise.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim instructs you to first turn the red dial to the current temp, 24c in your example, then adjust the blue dial to your preferred temp, 20c.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup, 24 if that’s what your tests show, then turn the red pointer to 24. Calibrated.

I really did not find the Jager that accurate. The on/off contact types can swing a bit.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, 150w is a lot for 32gallon. I use a 150w on my 75gal, which also has a 15 gallon refugium. Once you get this corrected, I’d go smaller on the heater, it’ll give you more wiggle room.
Got me panicking about my 500w now. My tank would be boiling. Luckily mine monitors temp and will shut of if it goes higher. However ill prob get a backup cutoff swith.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got me panicking about my 500w now. My tank would be boiling. Luckily mine monitors temp and will shut of if it goes higher. However ill prob get a backup cutoff swith.
I live in Illinois, and so our winter indoor house temp is about 69 degrees, I just want enough heater to get the amount of water I have to 78 degrees, any more power is a waste and potential overheating risk.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, no experience with “Aquael Ultra Heater.”

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have a brand new cheap heater in the cupboard for emergency. A seneye reef monitor will alert you of High temperature directly to your phone, I have my heater connected to a smart plug socket so I can switch it off from anywhere in the world, should the worst happen.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chiller is good insurance against your heaters messing up as well as your home AC going out when it's hot out. That's what happened to me. Tank got up to about 94 and lost almost everything.

LanaDelNeighh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some stuff might survive. Sorry to hear about the failure.

Obviously too late for this situation but for anyone reading. Please backup your heater with a temp controller. Inkbirds can be had for 30-40 bucks on amazon. Also consider your heater disposable and replace every 1-2 years.
After reading this, grabbed 2 inkbirds off of amazon, one for each tank. Same day delivery! Thanks for the advice!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this, grabbed 2 inkbirds off of amazon, one for each tank. Same day delivery! Thanks for the advice!

tip when setting up, if you struggle, if your Wi-fi has both 2.4ghz and 5, turn the 5 off, not sure which model you have but some will only connect to the 2.4ghz and only if the 5 is turned off.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get the wifi one.... now I wish I would have. Got the ITC-306T.

if it’s the one I’m thinking off, then the plus of that model is, you can set the variance to .1c rather than .3c on the 306a model.

Just make sure you got it with the water proof probe.

Last edited:
Back