Heater placement in sump..

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sump is first chamber my chaeto refugium then its my skimmer and finally return. Is it ok to keep the heats in the first chamber with the chaeto? Skimmer chamber is vert tight and no room for heaters and apex probes.

IMG_3632.JPG

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it doesn't make a difference. The flow through is so great, you should be able to put them anywhere. I run two heaters, one in the skimmer section, the other in the return section, and the temperature probe is in the return section as well.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it doesn't make a difference. The flow through is so great, you should be able to put them anywhere. I run two heaters, one in the skimmer section, the other in the return section, and the temperature probe is in the return section as well.

sounds good. thanks I was worried it would burn the chaeto or something lol

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually yes I think it matters. Now that I think about it, you don’t want to put the temp probes after your heaters. It can throw off your reading being that the water temp is PASSING through the probes. I will have to find a way to put them after the probes.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually yes I think it matters. Now that I think about it, you don’t want to put the temp probes after your heaters. It can throw off your reading being that the water temp is PASSING through the probes. I will have to find a way to put them after the probes.

Makes sense. I'll probably put my probes where the water is coming back from the display tank to get a more accurate reading of what it actually is in the DT. Then the heaters after them.

Or, because there is so much water moving through the sump, does the temperature change radically from one end of the sump to the other or not? I don't have mine set up yet so I can't put probes on both ends of the sump to compare readings.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been running a 90 DT with a 40B sump this way for ten years with a tight temperature range of 28.0 to 28.3. Hysteresis keeps the probe from immediately reacting. The only thing I can say is, it works for me!

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, not in the return if the heater is standing up. Many heaters must be submerged to a certain level. The return side level is variable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back