Heater placement question.

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the placement of my heaters in my system. Due to the relatively short cords for the heater and controller (Finnex YH-s 300W w/ controller), and where the rest of my control boxes and wiring is being placed, the place want to place it is detailed below.

First, how my overflow is designed:

overflow-diagram.jpg

The overflow is mirrored, so each side has the same stuff, just mirrored. The water flows in from (1), into the first overflow chamber (2), passing through 2 acrylic floss cups. It flows under (3) and into the 2nd chamber (4), where it flows up and then cascades over the wall, the 2 sides meeting in the main overflow chamber (5), which houses the main overflow to the sump, the backup, and the return pipe.

What I would like to do is place a heater in each 2nd chamber (4), with the corresponding temp probe in the previous, first overflow chamber (2), or the display tank itself.

If I can do this, then I have enough reach to move the controllers and power supply into the bookcase next to it, where the rest of the controls and PSs will be.

Is there a compelling reason why I shouldn't place it there? I know that it seems most common to have it in the sump, but my return chamber isn't big enough for the heaters, the skimmer/fuge area is already getting crowded, and the first sump chamber, with the overflow coming in, is on the far side of the tank.

Thoughts?

--Gray

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason this wint work

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure some people do what you’re describing. Let’s just say your return pump stopped working and temps started to drop. Chamber 4 could get cooked and kill everything in it because the temp controller was in an unheated compartment. Is anything of consequence in chamber 4?

OP
OP
gray808

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure some people do what you’re describing. Let’s just say your return pump stopped working and temps started to drop. Chamber 4 could get cooked and kill everything in it because the temp controller was in an unheated compartment. Is anything of consequence in chamber 4?

Nope, it's just flow-thru from the initial overflow.

If the return pump stops, that chamber, and only that chamber would get hot. Well... I suppose with no flow, the original overflow chamber (2) would get hot as well, but the rest of the system, sump, DT, and overflow-pipes/return flow chamber would be isolated from it. Very worst case scenario, the return goes out, the heaters cook off all the water in their respective chambers. but only if their auto-shutoff overheat protection failed. So, 2 major systems would have to fail completely, at the same time, and not be noticed in the time it would take to cook off that much water.

I think.

--Gray

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any constant height chamber will be fine.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back