Heater size

Sharkfisher88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon sump and I'm trying to figure out what size heater I should get the ambient room temperature is 64 to 67° at night and 67 to 78° during the day

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a similar setup and use a single 300W finnex titanium heater. This style doesn't have a built in thermometer, so an external heater controller is required.

OP
OP
Sharkfisher88

Sharkfisher88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a similar setup and use a single 300W finnex titanium heater. This style doesn't have a built in thermometer, so an external heater controller is required.
All right cool I've been getting a lot of different answers on ways to do it. and I was thinking about one way that I seen a lot of people saying is to do two heaters. and I was thinking to either do two 150 watts or two 200 Watts. I've also been told to do two 300 watt heaters which that one I think is a little much and I was thinking about doing eheim's I know their glass heaters and I've seen a lot of people say to do the titanium but I am on a slight budget for a few months so I was going to upgrade later on but definitely would be doing a external control either way but anyways thanks for your input I appreciate it

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between the eheim and finnex, for the 300W version there is only a $10 difference.

Plus the eheim is about a foot longer for the 300W version.

Eheim work, and work amazingly well, they are just super long. Just something to keep in mind when purchasing eheim heaters.

OP
OP
Sharkfisher88

Sharkfisher88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between the eheim and finnex, for the 300W version there is only a $10 difference.

Plus the eheim is about a foot longer for the 300W version.

Eheim work, and work amazingly well, they are just super long. Just something to keep in mind when purchasing eheim heaters.
All right thanks I definitely will keep that in mind and yeah I know they're freaking long the 300 watt I know is about the size of my arm and length which is very long for heater that's why I was thinking of doing like two 150s or two 200s I know thay are a lot shorter than the 300 w

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is to run 2 smaller heaters so one cannot cook your tank. I can definitely see this happening, just has never happened to me.

I've never had an issue with this. hence the one single 300W in my tank.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lot of success with aqueon pro, they’re reasonably priced if you look around and/or catch a sale. With the 64F ambient I might opt for dual 200 or 150 would probably be enough.

Currently I use Orlushy (found on Amazon) and have a set of 300 (on 170g) that are nearly 2yrs old. They’re cheap enough to replace pro-actively.

I use the heat-only Inkbird so there are two outlets. The shorter heaters are easier to place as mentioned.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 113 41.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 133 49.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 25 9.2%
Back