Heater wattage per gallon

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jager heaters are a solid option but larger ones are long. Often too long for some tanks/sumps. Finnex titanium heaters are a good alternative for a low cost and smaller sized heater. If you have the cash, new Neo-therm heaters are a solid pick. All heaters IMO should have a backup controller to shut them off since they all fail sooner or later.

Even in TX 3w per gallon is typically a minimum. Overworking a heater simply causes it to run longer and fail sooner. IMO on a tank, two properly sized heaters with two different backup controllers is my suggestion.

The EJ heaters do need to be 'calibrated' though. It's stunningly simple, involving adjusting the measurement ring to match actual temperature. Just read the instructions.

All hobby grade heaters and probes should be calibrated. The thermometers in these units are pretty consistent but can be off by as much as 5 degrees either direction. Best to calibrate a temp controller probe or manual thermometer using the "ice water" method. Then calibrate the heater in a 5 gallon bucket using the calibrated thermometer.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's accuracy versus precision. The EJ heaters are often inaccurate out of the box, but they are typically quite precise.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep minum 1.5 watts per gallon. Maximum is usually 3-4 watts per gallon.

I use two 150 watt heaters in my 220 gallon. 300 watts total. They never turn off but will never overheat my tank. Unless the temperature in my house gets passed 82f which it never does. I feel this is a safer way to go.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends on the temp difference from ambient.
you should start with 300w.
I have 10-12 degrees differential between 50 gallon tank and ambient. A 300w takes 20 minutes to raise the temp 0.5 degrees, and takes 40 minutes to drop 0.5 degrees.
I started out using a 150 w heater, and it takes 60minutes (maybe more) to raise the temp 5 degrees. So using the 300w is actually more efficient and uses less power.

My ambient temp shouldn’t be more than 6-8 degrees off my tank temperature. Thanks for your input. I will start with a 300Watt.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+3? For eheim - going strong in its 7th year. I added a second as a backup.

I know it’s against conventional wisdom and energy inefficient, but after witnessing too many fish and coral gumbos, I always undersize even though I’d never run a heater without a reliable controller.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back