Heating fry tanks

SimplyVibing

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
269
Reaction score
160
Location
NW Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m starting my journey breeding clownfish. I will have three pairs (I’d start with one, but I already have three unpaired female clownfish so why not?). If each pair lays twice a month, I’ll reasonably need 6 fry tanks. I’m going to divide a 55 gal into 6 sections that are ~9.5 gallons. They are going to be blacked out on all sides, dimly lit by a desk lamp 24/7, filtered by sponge filters after rotifers are no longer being fed, etc

The only thing I’m hung up on is heating. There are a few options here:
1) Run a stable, consistent heater around 25 watts. Risk the chance of heater malfunction.
2) Run a stable, consistent heater with an ink bird backup in each section.
3) Some have suggested ambient heating from the room, setting the tank on temperature controlled seed heating mats, or setting the tank in a pan of water which you heat.

What have you used with the most success?
 
Hi,

I’m starting my journey breeding clownfish. I will have three pairs (I’d start with one, but I already have three unpaired female clownfish so why not?). If each pair lays twice a month, I’ll reasonably need 6 fry tanks. I’m going to divide a 55 gal into 6 sections that are ~9.5 gallons. They are going to be blacked out on all sides, dimly lit by a desk lamp 24/7, filtered by sponge filters after rotifers are no longer being fed, etc

The only thing I’m hung up on is heating. There are a few options here:
1) Run a stable, consistent heater around 25 watts. Risk the chance of heater malfunction.
2) Run a stable, consistent heater with an ink bird backup in each section.
3) Some have suggested ambient heating from the room, setting the tank on temperature controlled seed heating mats, or setting the tank in a pan of water which you heat.

What have you used with the most success?
I know they get mixed reviews, but I’ve never had any issues with cobalt neo-therm heaters for my fry tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new