SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m starting my journey breeding clownfish. I will have three pairs (I’d start with one, but I already have three unpaired female clownfish so why not?). If each pair lays twice a month, I’ll reasonably need 6 fry tanks. I’m going to divide a 55 gal into 6 sections that are ~9.5 gallons. They are going to be blacked out on all sides, dimly lit by a desk lamp 24/7, filtered by sponge filters after rotifers are no longer being fed, etc

The only thing I’m hung up on is heating. There are a few options here:
1) Run a stable, consistent heater around 25 watts. Risk the chance of heater malfunction.
2) Run a stable, consistent heater with an ink bird backup in each section.
3) Some have suggested ambient heating from the room, setting the tank on temperature controlled seed heating mats, or setting the tank in a pan of water which you heat.

What have you used with the most success?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

I’m starting my journey breeding clownfish. I will have three pairs (I’d start with one, but I already have three unpaired female clownfish so why not?). If each pair lays twice a month, I’ll reasonably need 6 fry tanks. I’m going to divide a 55 gal into 6 sections that are ~9.5 gallons. They are going to be blacked out on all sides, dimly lit by a desk lamp 24/7, filtered by sponge filters after rotifers are no longer being fed, etc

The only thing I’m hung up on is heating. There are a few options here:
1) Run a stable, consistent heater around 25 watts. Risk the chance of heater malfunction.
2) Run a stable, consistent heater with an ink bird backup in each section.
3) Some have suggested ambient heating from the room, setting the tank on temperature controlled seed heating mats, or setting the tank in a pan of water which you heat.

What have you used with the most success?
I know they get mixed reviews, but I’ve never had any issues with cobalt neo-therm heaters for my fry tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back