Heavy breathing weird behavior. Can’t identify!

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang was found breath heavy after feeding of mysis. At night he hides and has a respiration rate over 150 a second. He also has a cleaner shrimp following him everywhere and cleaning him. Getting worse but during the day he acts like this and is still eating like crazy. Please help I am a newbie but I tried to learn as much as possible before starting. I have made a post before and I was told to feed him more and with selcon and I have done so starting yesterday. One person said gill flukes and that was also my guess at this point. Treated with Prazipro yesterday. Air stone is running. Water is good I had three people test it. Video was taken this morning. Only other tank mate is a yellow coris wrasse.

Attachments

• Tangsick.MP4.m4v
    4.9 MB

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the jerking motion, the video shows basically the same as your earlier thread.

What water tests and what results did you have run?

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the jerking motion, the video shows basically the same as your earlier thread.

What water tests and what results did you have run?
Ammonia- 0
Nitrates- 1ppm
Nitrites- 1.1ppm
Salinity- 1.026
Alkalinity- 8.0 dKH
Calcium- 378ppm
Mag- 1380ppm
PH- 7.8
Copper- 0ppm
This is from digital readers

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is also an ICP test that just came in as well.
B0CCB99E-0E4C-40FE-95B8-FF1DEA5CC5C7.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tang was found breath heavy after feeding of mysis. At night he hides and has a respiration rate over 150 a second. He also has a cleaner shrimp following him everywhere and cleaning him. Getting worse but during the day he acts like this and is still eating like crazy. Please help I am a newbie but I tried to learn as much as possible before starting. I have made a post before and I was told to feed him more and with selcon and I have done so starting yesterday. One person said gill flukes and that was also my guess at this point. Treated with Prazipro yesterday. Air stone is running. Water is good I had three people test it. Video was taken this morning. Only other tank mate is a yellow coris wrasse.

My guess is 1 of a couple things - First - Prazipro takes more than a day to work. 2. its possible that you misdosed - or that its degraded somehow (i.e. assume you left carbon, etc out of the filtration). 3. Make sure you have adequate oxygenation (airstone), etc - with Prazipro. It's a pretty fish - and the fact that its eating is a big positive.

ON your other tests - the nitrite of 1.1 - suggests that within a short time (i.e. a couple days - your ammonia was not '0'. I might suggest double checking your tests - with another source - i.e. an LFS.
On Your ICP - unless I'm reading this incorrectly - your Na (sodium) is far far lower than your Cl (Chlorine/Chloride Ion).

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is 1 of a couple things - First - Prazipro takes more than a day to work. 2. its possible that you misdosed - or that its degraded somehow (i.e. assume you left carbon, etc out of the filtration). 3. Make sure you have adequate oxygenation (airstone), etc - with Prazipro. It's a pretty fish - and the fact that its eating is a big positive.

ON your other tests - the nitrite of 1.1 - suggests that within a short time (i.e. a couple days - your ammonia was not '0'. I might suggest double checking your tests - with another source - i.e. an LFS.
On Your ICP - unless I'm reading this incorrectly - your Na (sodium) is far far lower than your Cl (Chlorine/Chloride Ion).
One LFS had zero my test has 0 and one had 0.1. I don’t know about this CI or what it is should I correct that and then how do I do that?” No carbon but there was carbon two days ago.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. For anyones information I’d rather responses assuming I didn’t know than do know.
Prazipro can take a few days to show any improvement. It dislodges the flukes, but that in turn leaves holes in the fish’s gills. If there are a lot of those, respiration rate will even increase. I’ve lost fish that had too many flukes drop off and the fish bled out - that’s a risk you have to take.
Check the fish on Friday to see if the count has improved by then.
Jay

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro can take a few days to show any improvement. It dislodges the flukes, but that in turn leaves holes in the fish’s gills. If there are a lot of those, respiration rate will even increase. I’ve lost fish that had too many flukes drop off and the fish bled out - that’s a risk you have to take.
Check the fish on Friday to see if the count has improved by then.
Jay
Will do thanks so much! I just hope my little guy pulls through. I did Prazipro as it seemed the safest. I know some say fresh water dip before treatment but I didn’t feel comfortable with that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will do thanks so much! I just hope my little guy pulls through. I did Prazipro as it seemed the safest. I know some say fresh water dip before treatment but I didn’t feel comfortable with that.
I will not add to this as I am in aggreement with statement Jay has made. Also not mentioned. . . Treat prazi at recommended dosage for 8 day interval (not daily) , change water and apply one more 8 day treatment.

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update/ one question! Also I’m new to forms so let me know if people even want one. My wrasse who used to “sleep” most of the day has been out a lot more after the treat ment. The tang did start breathing heavier (should be normal) but is a lot more mentally with it. Also I noticed now that the wrasse is out the inside of his Gilles are pinkish red, is this blood?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update/ one question! Also I’m new to forms so let me know if people even want one. My wrasse who used to “sleep” most of the day has been out a lot more after the treat ment. The tang did start breathing heavier (should be normal) but is a lot more mentally with it. Also I noticed now that the wrasse is out the inside of his Gilles are pinkish red, is this blood?
I would start a new thread with your issue - and answer the questions in my signature link

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After treatment for Prazipro the fish seemed to have substantial improvement. Improvement lessened days after. After second treatment of Prazipro there way no change. New photo should help you see what I see now. White spots and I’m a worried it’s brook. Hopefully just a fungal infection. Before on other forms I mentioned one spots that disappeared hours later. Now this is we’re we are and the fish is still scared of everything. Please look I thank you all.
6A60884E-B667-4642-BEE1-0A4DFDF2EFEE.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After treatment for Prazipro the fish seemed to have substantial improvement. Improvement lessened days after. After second treatment of Prazipro there way no change. New photo should help you see what I see now. White spots and I’m a worried it’s brook. Hopefully just a fungal infection. Before on other forms I mentioned one spots that disappeared hours later. Now this is we’re we are and the fish is still scared of everything. Please look I thank you all.
6A60884E-B667-4642-BEE1-0A4DFDF2EFEE.jpeg

Can you get a clearer picture taken under white light? I can't really see what you are describing. I do see some generalized marks on its anal fin.

Flukes can be tough to eradicate - egg laying flukes continue to hatch out and reinfect the fish. Also, prazi becomes less effective with each dose. I've resorted to hyposalinity (no invertebrates of course) for really stubborn cases. I've also had people need to dose prazi weekly for five weeks to really get rid of flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Can you get a clearer picture taken under white light? I can't really see what you are describing. I do see some generalized marks on its anal fin.

Flukes can be tough to eradicate - egg laying flukes continue to hatch out and reinfect the fish. Also, prazi becomes less effective with each dose. I've resorted to hyposalinity (no invertebrates of course) for really stubborn cases. I've also had people need to dose prazi weekly for five weeks to really get rid of flukes.

Jay
yes Sir back from work here it is. Glass is dirty as he gets very scared of me whipping it lol. Getting his fresh nori now!

OP
OP
b0bburg3r

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also he breaths so much heavier after feeding. This video he got some mysis right before and is now eating his nori and selcon.

Back