Hellfire torch

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m getting a hellfire torch and a was wondering the care on them
Im not trying to be a turd but the simple answer is like any other torch/euphyllia coral. Hellfire is just a name.

Doing research before buying live animals is a good practice.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussies are considered more delicate, as they cannot branch new heads the way indos do. All euphyllia demand good water, stable parameters, and a little bit of dirt and nutrients to feed on.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussies are considered more delicate, as they cannot branch new heads the way indos do. All euphyllia demand good water, stable parameters, and a little bit of dirt and nutrients to feed on.
So indo torches are easier to care for than aussies? If so that’s good as I plan to get an indo torch

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Similar to the divide between branching and wall hammers.
Umm Aussie torches definitely split and branch. How would they propagate otherwise? Yes they usually have larger heads and take longer to finish the split but they still split and branch.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm Aussie torches definitely split and branch. How would they propagate otherwise? Yes they usually have larger heads and take longer to finish the split but they still split and branch.
I think he was implying the branches are different rather than not branching at all. You’re correct though that Indos usually have a skinnier “stalk”

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant more along the lines of how for hammers the walls tend to be less hardy than branches.
I have an indo and had an Aussie, I’ve seen how both branch rather than grow in a wall.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So indo torches are easier to care for than aussies? If so that’s good as I plan to get an indo torch
Aussies take a super long time to fully split heads. Live aquaria often sells aussies as wall torches. Just because there are 3 mouths but no split in sight. So, because of this. If aussies get hit with brown jelly, the whole colony is most likely gone.

With indo's there's a higher change to save a head rather than to lose them all.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant more along the lines of how for hammers the walls tend to be less hardy than branches.
I have an indo and had an Aussie, I’ve seen how both branch rather than grow in a wall.
Oh gotcha brother. I actually started thinking really quickly like wait a minute Really??

Yeah. Aussies are Definitely a lot more prisy than indos

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Aussie for around nine months, and it split into two separate heads, and those two heads were almost completely split into four. Unfortunately, it got BJD, and the whole colony died. Because of their growth, I couldn’t salvage any heads. I’ve had an indo for only three months, and it already has three distinct heads. If that gets sick, it may be more salvageable. Bottom line, indos grow faster and are easier to save when diseased.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by a little bit of dirt and nutrients?

MantisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches will appreciate a little nitrate and phosphate in the water, that’s what they mean by dirty water. They will also like to catch some solid food that might drift by, or you can target feed them as well.

In general, Indo torches are not too demanding, keep your Alk. in acceptable range and have a quality light source and they will do great.

If you have an Indo “Gold” torch of some kind, they will look best and really pop if you use some “Blue” LED light in your setup.

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by a little bit of dirt and nutrients?
What @MantisReef said.
Obviously for any coral you don’t want the nutrients to be too high, but it’s good to have a bit of nitrates and phosphates to feed on. My torches generally don’t mind elevated nutrients the way other corals might (but once it gets too high they show it). My frogspawns on the other hand get ticked before water change day.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @MantisReef said.
Obviously for any coral you don’t want the nutrients to be too high, but it’s good to have a bit of nitrates and phosphates to feed on. My torches generally don’t mind elevated nutrients the way other corals might (but once it gets too high they show it). My frogspawns on the other hand get ticked before water change day.
Ok thanks. I have a bit of nitrates but no phosphates. How should increase phosphates??

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are things you can dose, but I generally like to stay away from dosing if I can. They build up just like nitrates over time, so the amount is proportional to how much you clean the water and feed. Increased feedings can up phos and nitrate.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back