Hello and a couple questions

Monte Blair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! My name is Monte. My wife, Evy (pronounced E-V), and I live in San Diego, CA. We just recently started our first tank. It's 30 gallons and is doing great! I have 7 corals, two anemones, two clowns, a ruby red dragonette, red fire shrimp, a few turbos, a few snails, and 1 royal gramma. We also have live rock and live sand. We've had it for about 3 months now. We already got excited for a bigger tank and just bought a 100 gallon (48" x 24" x 24") tank and 30 gallon refugium. We got a really good price on both. I just built a custom stand for the tanks and we're probably going to start setting up the tanks this next weekend. My questions are about accessories for the tank.

(Any brands and where to buy would be very helpful)
What are some good lights to get that aren't too crazy expensive?
What would y'all recommend for a pump from the refugium to the tank?
Filter sock?
How thick do you think the sand bed should be?

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 corals, two anemones,

What are some good lights to get that aren't too crazy expensive?
What would y'all recommend for a pump from the refugium to the tank?
Filter sock?
How thick do you think the sand bed should be?

Welcome! Let's see some pics!

Before anyone can offer advice on the lighting, it'd be great to know what corals and anemones you have and are hoping to keep... there's a big difference between what softies, LPS, SPS and nems need. What lighting do you have at the moment and what's your budget... you mention not crazy expensive, but price is all relative.

Pump would depend on what other flow you have going... aim to turn over the tank volume 50x per hour in terms of total flow. So if you have 100g, you'll need total flow of around 5000gph. Of you have a couple of 2500gph wavemakers then you'll only 'need' a smallish return pump. If however your return pump is your only means of creating flow, you'll need at least a 5000gph rated pump... by the time you've taken the head into account and that flow rates are usually overstated somewhat, then something closer to 6 or 7k gph...

Assuming you've got other means of flow, I'd go for something like the jebao dct6000. It's a decent price, controllable and will give you more than enough oomph at less than 100% power.

I had a filter sock... got fed up of changing it all the time though, I still have it in the refuge but it's blocked up and overflows, so does nothing. Honestly, I noticed no difference in water clarity or quality. I have pretty dense caulerpa growth in my fuge and that seems to work as a decent mechanical filter.

For the sand bed, you need to decide on whether you want a shallow sand bed (SSB) or a deep sand bed (DSB). I have a SSB in my DT and a DSB in my refuge. Both have advantages and disadvantages so it's personal choice, Google for info. All I'll say is if you go shallow, no more that 2" depth, if you go deep, no less than 6" depth... 3" to 5" is neither deep nor shallow and can cause issues with water quality.

Happy reefing and looming forward to seeing pics [emoji2]

OP
OP
Monte Blair

Monte Blair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @Monte Blair !* @Gweeds1980 gave you some excellent advice.Only use a sock if you plan on keeping them clean.I myself am far to lazy to hassle with such things.Sometimes I will install one temporarily after a water change to gather what I stir up.

1460837541958.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back