OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so much has changed in reefing in the last 18 years. I am learning all over again. Interested in peoples views on various issues.

1) current/ flow. I hate pumps and wires and anything that isn’t natural in my set up. I’m thinking of drilling a series of inlets either side of my 2700 columns - say 3 inlets a piece towards the front and rear, left and right side both faces of each column so I will have 6 inlets to front and rear of both sides of each column. I plan to run 4 pumps from my sump and mix up the inlet connections between the pumps alternating them to switch on and off at different periods using a controller to create a random and fluctuating current. Has anyone tried anything like that? Any ideas and thoughts most welcome.

2) sand or bare bottom. I’m a deep sand bed guy. There’s anaerobic benefits which will assist with nitrate control but the dreaded build up of detrius is a major concern especially as I won’t be cleaning it myself 2.7 meters down. Previously I had a couple of large blue cheek gobies . They were about 8” long and they loved turning over my sand bed..... played havoc with my tank and caused some blockages a couple of times. But boy did they keep the sand clean constantly shifting it through their gills. Planning on maintaining a deep sand bed with a couple of gobies in each column. Any feedback welcome.

3) fuge and cheato. This is all new stuff to me. But interesting as it the way I plan to go. Anything that mitigates against constant water changing it a benefit and will help maintain a stable environment. But how big a fuge? Too big and it will be over capacity and risk dieing back, too small and I will be constantly harvesting. I want to maintain a position where I won’t be harvesting it more frequently than once a month. I appreciate its relative to population and feeding but some of you guys will no doubt have some experience I can tap into.

4) lighting. My house is all wired up for low voltage LED dimmers using clipsal cbus which I can fully automate and programme/and auto control to switch from an external sensor which senses day and night. I am thinking of hooking my reef lighting to it using a series of different led strips each light channel can take a combination of 1 or 2 amps max. Anyone sufficiently versed in led tech to offer some advice on the way to go for my reef bearing in mind I will have two deep columns 2.7 meters and a shallow section 600mm deep. Thanks heaps.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello just going to chime in on one from experience ,no sand,especially deep,just my opinion ,would love to see some pics

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m still a sandman from aesthetic point of view. More natural looking. There’s loads of sand critters, snails, urchins and some stars that should take care of the detritus. I don’t think there’s anything that will disturb sps save perhaps some worms which I may stay clear off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and we’re glad you joined us !!

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so much has changed in reefing in the last 18 years. I am learning all over again. Interested in peoples views on various issues.

1) current/ flow. I hate pumps and wires and anything that isn’t natural in my set up. I’m thinking of drilling a series of inlets either side of my 2700 columns - say 3 inlets a piece towards the front and rear, left and right side both faces of each column so I will have 6 inlets to front and rear of both sides of each column. I plan to run 4 pumps from my sump and mix up the inlet connections between the pumps alternating them to switch on and off at different periods using a controller to create a random and fluctuating current. Has anyone tried anything like that? Any ideas and thoughts most welcome.

2) sand or bare bottom. I’m a deep sand bed guy. There’s anaerobic benefits which will assist with nitrate control but the dreaded build up of detrius is a major concern especially as I won’t be cleaning it myself 2.7 meters down. Previously I had a couple of large blue cheek gobies . They were about 8” long and they loved turning over my sand bed..... played havoc with my tank and caused some blockages a couple of times. But boy did they keep the sand clean constantly shifting it through their gills. Planning on maintaining a deep sand bed with a couple of gobies in each column. Any feedback welcome.

3) fuge and cheato. This is all new stuff to me. But interesting as it the way I plan to go. Anything that mitigates against constant water changing it a benefit and will help maintain a stable environment. But how big a fuge? Too big and it will be over capacity and risk dieing back, too small and I will be constantly harvesting. I want to maintain a position where I won’t be harvesting it more frequently than once a month. I appreciate its relative to population and feeding but some of you guys will no doubt have some experience I can tap into.

4) lighting. My house is all wired up for low voltage LED dimmers using clipsal cbus which I can fully automate and programme/and auto control to switch from an external sensor which senses day and night. I am thinking of hooking my reef lighting to it using a series of different led strips each light channel can take a combination of 1 or 2 amps max. Anyone sufficiently versed in led tech to offer some advice on the way to go for my reef bearing in mind I will have two deep columns 2.7 meters and a shallow section 600mm deep. Thanks heaps.

Hi @Jagg! You will get more experienced eyes on your questions if you break your post up into 4 questions and post in specific sub forums. For example, question #4 would be seen by members who are experienced in lighting issues if you post in the lighting sub forum. They are likely to miss it here in the welcome forum. Good luck.

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that’s helpful. Not got my head round the forum and where to post what but I’ll get there eventually. I’ve already moved away from fuge and cheato. Plan to go with a DIY algae scrubber can build one for fraction of the cost to buy one and it’s easy enough to scale up.

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Jagg ,,, & WOW, what a build coming up

Its extra super awesome that you’ve joined, & I hope you have a super professional level camera to provide a few thousand photos of your build?

No doubt you’re already a reefing expert PLUS & you’ll fit straight in here with all the super friendly, super awesome & super knowledgeable, smart & clever participants that R2R is,,,,, there’s no bad or misleading advice given out around here.

C U round

Steve :D

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Jagg ,,, & WOW, what a build coming up

Its extra super awesome that you’ve joined, & I hope you have a super professional level camera to provide a few thousand photos of your build?

No doubt you’re already a reefing expert PLUS & you’ll fit straight in here with all the super friendly, super awesome & super knowledgeable, smart & clever participants that R2R is,,,,, there’s no bad or misleading advice given out around here.

C U round

Steve :D
Thanks Steve. Sure thing. Lots of pictures of my house build if you want to see those? Actually I’ve only ever kept fish, inverts and anemones before but this time I want to go all out a do the whole eco thing, cultivation, propagation, bio filtration.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Steve. Sure thing. Lots of pictures of my house build if you want to see those? Actually I’ve only ever kept fish, inverts and anemones before but this time I want to go all out a do the whole eco thing, cultivation, propagation, bio filtration.
Sounds full on. I'm guessing you have a 'fish room' ?

OP
OP
Jagg

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your daughter will become a reefing tragic before your eyes once she sees the magic of the reef.
Haha you don’t know my daughter.... she’s 21 and doesn’t do animals. In fact she doesn’t do dad anymore either. My youngest is more mailable but even she doesn’t approve of my current plans ..... of course they both run off to mum to complain.... and she only wants to know what I’m up to. She’ll find out after I’ve started building it. Did the same with the house! Works for me! Only way it works.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha you don’t know my daughter.... she’s 21 and doesn’t do animals. In fact she doesn’t do dad anymore either. My youngest is more mailable but even she doesn’t approve of my current plans ..... of course they both run off to mum to complain.... and she only wants to know what I’m up to. She’ll find out after I’ve started building it. Did the same with the house! Works for me! Only way it works.
You can never tell, that's for sure. My son, 23, mechatronic engineer, just flew over to the U.S. yesterday for work, has no interest in my reef, or even the gizmo's attached to it? My daughter, also 21, is an animal lover. If she had her way the house would look like a zoo. But even though she likes my reef, she shows little interest in it? Takes it for granted I guess since its been around since she was young.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back