Hello folks. I'm new here!!

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers and thanks for having me here! I'm probably one of the oldest reefer here at 63 years young. I'm a born and bred New Yorker but have immigrated to Australia in 1983 after meeting my better half while on USNavy shore leave in 1981. After my tours were up, I decided that Perth was where I wanted to bring up children. I was introduced to marine aquariums in 1985 and fell in love with the hobby instantly. Being so close to the Indian Ocean makes this hobby much easier and very interesting. The beaches here are pristine aqua marine. Crystal clear waters with amazing marine life to boot. Our sea water is delivered by a father and son small business They charge $50 per 1000 litres of clean filtered Indian Ocean water. My tank and sump takes up 1800 litres. I also have a 1000 litre storage tank outside. Considering the price of salt, this is a miraculous savings! There are many great LFS here and the selection of fauna available is amazing. I 1st had a 6x2x2 tank 25 years ago. I then got too busy with work and kids to continue. So, now that I'm semi retired I decided to get back into this a few months ago. I'm amazed at how things have progressed since then. From apps to LED lighting to awesome protein skimmers, most of all EXPERIENCE has nipped this hobby in the bud because people share their experiences via internet forums and YouTube - talk about instant answers to perplexing questions! It's awesome to be here in this forum. I look forward to getting to know you. Cheers!!

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

welcome.gif

dory.gif

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard shipmate! Old CTT here.

You have me beat by 2 years at 63 years young and several others around our age.

I started the salty side in 74 and things have changed quite a bit for sure. This is by far the best forum on our passion for young and old with the friendliest members and Staff you'll ever have the pleasure of conversing with.

We like pics brother Oldsalt. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldsalt

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scored a clam stuck hard in LR. The LFS didn't know there was a clam here! He's open here. When he's closed up, you'd miss him because there's so much calcification around him. I took a video of him opening and shutting then showed it to the LFS. He says I scored big time as he charges $75 for small clans. This guy is large and pretty old

20181130_185332.jpg

20181130_124909.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back