Hello from Austin, TX

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated! I wish I had a macro lens. These were taken with a Canon 70D with a Canon 13-135mm lens. Processing done in Adobe Lightroom.
Thanks! Looks great!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I believe it is.

Impressive! The only one I've kept successfully was a colony a friend in my reef club gave me to keep for him. I kept it over a year before he was ready for it and it's still doing well. Very hard SPS to keep.

You are definitely doing something right!

OP
OP
eddius_maximus

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another pic for you guys, one of my favorite corals in the tank. This one was from a frag from a local reefer here in Austin. I believe he named it "Lonestar Leather Toadstool". I think it's a color variation of a Japanese Deepwater Toadstool.

It's polyps are incredibly long and flowy (she just molted before this picture so, not full length yet), and the entire head is bright green, not just the polyps. One of my favorites. It absolutely glows under blue/violet light.

Incredibly temperamental, though. If I look at it wrong, she'll retract, and this happens often. So when the polyps are out it's a treat. Even my four year old son keeps an eye out and lets me know - "DADDY THE MUSHROOM! IT'S HAIRY AGAIN!"

14.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I've been lurking for years. I'm not sure why but something inspired me to finally create an account and actually interact. So, hi!

Here's my present tank... It's a little over a year old. Reefer 450. Two Orphek Atlantik V4s as lighting. Primary nutrient export is via chaeto and ATB 840 v2 Skimmer (with a little bag of GAC hangin' in the sump). It's a true mixed reef. I have a little bit of everything in there! I dose 2 part around the clock. Aside from that, no additives. Keeping it simple. Keeping my hands out of the tank as much as possible.

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
11.jpg
13.jpg

Great pictures. Gorgeous tank. I am in Austin as well, down near the Salt Lick in Hays Co.

Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Where did you get all your livestock? What was your introduction procedures? How do you keep the euphillyas together and the SPS not getting stung by them?

LOL “Enquiring minds want to know!”

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Nice photography and beautiful tank, thanks for sharing! :)

OP
OP
eddius_maximus

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Where did you get all your livestock? What was your introduction procedures? How do you keep the euphillyas together and the SPS not getting stung by them?

Morning! Thanks!

Locally. Or Battlecorals. Unique Corals. Vivid Aquariums. Those are the primary places. And most of my fish purchases are made at Austin Aqua Dome.

Photography (especially at longer focal lengths) can be misleading. There’s actually a fairly sizable (3-4”) gap between the euphyllia and acropora.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning! Thanks!

Locally. Or Battlecorals. Unique Corals. Vivid Aquariums. Those are the primary places. And most of my fish purchases are made at Austin Aqua Dome.

Photography (especially at longer focal lengths) can be misleading. There’s actually a fairly sizable (3-4”) gap between the euphyllia and acropora.

Ya, Austin Aqua Dome is pretty much the only place in Austin I'm okay with getting fish from. Every place else I avoid or just get online.

Corals I haven't dove into yet (I QT everything like a madman so I take forever on my builds lol), but I like Austin Aqua Farm's Saturday local days. The Dome seems to have good deals, but I don't know the rates of pest people get. I've heard corals from Unique, Vivid, and WWC tend to be very clean.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back