Hello from Baton Rouge

Sapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, good afternoon. Been lurking a while and finally decided to get back into it myself.

Crazy seeing all of the posts in here of people getting back in after a long hiatus. I started out with a 30g clownfish FO tank in the early 90s. Moved up to a 75g FOWLR when I went off to college. Sold that when I graduated and bought a 110g FOWLR.

Life happened shortly after that and took away a lot of my free time and ended up selling the livestock and getting rid of the aquarium. So it's been about 20yrs for me as well. But I have a bit more free time now that I'm able to work from home.

Planning on going reef this time so I've got more to learn. Have been following threads in here and looking at loads of YouTube videos.

Just had the electrician here to put a dedicated 20a circuit in my office. I guess that means I'm committed! ;)

Now I just have to decide on size and LPS vs SPS. I'm thinking between 70-90g for tank size.

Going to Orlando next week for the Gartner conference. So I may try to find a big store over there to look around get some more ideas.

Look forward to interacting with everyone!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, good afternoon. Been lurking a while and finally decided to get back into it myself.

Crazy seeing all of the posts in here of people getting back in after a long hiatus. I started out with a 30g clownfish FO tank in the early 90s. Moved up to a 75g FOWLR when I went off to college. Sold that when I graduated and bought a 110g FOWLR.

Life happened shortly after that and took away a lot of my free time and ended up selling the livestock and getting rid of the aquarium. So it's been about 20yrs for me as well. But I have a bit more free time now that I'm able to work from home.

Planning on going reef this time so I've got more to learn. Have been following threads in here and looking at loads of YouTube videos.

Just had the electrician here to put a dedicated 20a circuit in my office. I guess that means I'm committed! ;)

Now I just have to decide on size and LPS vs SPS. I'm thinking between 70-90g for tank size.

Going to Orlando next week for the Gartner conference. So I may try to find a big store over there to look around get some more ideas.

You’ve got one of the most wonderful stores in Louisiana a stones throw away from you. I shop there exclusively now. I drive 2.5 hours just to go It’s in Prarieville. Aqua Hut. He can help guide you through whatever you need as well. I think If you haven’t been yet you’ll be very surprised how nice it is.

Oh yeah…..Geaux tigahs

OP
OP
Sapo

Sapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve got one of the most wonderful stores in Louisiana a stones throw away from you. I shop there exclusively now. I drive 2.5 hours just to go It’s in Prarieville. Aqua Hut. He can help guide you through whatever you need as well. I think If you haven’t been yet you’ll be very surprised how nice it is.

Oh yeah…..Geaux tigahs
Thanks for the heads up! Back in the 90s and early 2000's Mark's Marine was the only place to go in Baton Rouge. Glad to hear they have another good one in town.

OP
OP
Sapo

Sapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add that there’s also another store in Kenner that is amazing. Coral Connection. Also another very knowledgeable and helpful owner. I just don’t like driving that far lol. It’s a lot closer for you though.
Got my live rock from down there, years ago. Kenner is only about an hour away, so I'm sure I'll be down there. ;)

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up! Back in the 90s and early 2000's Mark's Marine was the only place to go in Baton Rouge. Glad to hear they have another good one in town.
It’s very likely the cleanest, nicest, most colorful and healthiest looking tanks and fish I’ve ever seen. Now take that with a grain of salt because I’ve only been to about 15ish different LFS in my life so I’m sure I’ll be even more in awe soon enough. But to date it was the most impressed I’ve been at a LFS cleanliness wise.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef! Several of the vendors here on Reef2Reef are in Florida. I'd recommend checking out Top Shelf Aquatics or Living Reef Orlando if you're nearby either of them, but there are definitely other really good ones!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back